Sharing NVR cameras via URL to one or two people setup?

BarkityBark

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Networking lightweight here. Have my NVR5216 with built-in PoE up and running fine with 9 cameras. Would like to connect it to the internet and share only live video from at least one camera with two family members over the internet. The more I read the manual and the forum postings about this, the more confused I get. Buy a mini router suggested.. Subnet settings?.. Lord have mercy.

Quick and dirty settings to punch in on my NVR5216 network setup screens to accomplish this please, anybody that's done it successfully? Safe and secure from hackers too? Setup screen captures maybe? Point me to a setup for dummies sticky?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Quick and dirty settings to punch in on my NVR5216 network setup screens to accomplish this please, anybody that's done it successfully? Safe and secure from hackers too?
It's not the NVR settings you'd have to configure to allow access inbound from the internet, it's your LAN gateway/router.
And unless you climb the learning curve to set up a VPN, any inbound access is going to fail your second requirement.
Networking lightweight here.
My advice is - don't even try this - unless you get a network savvy person to do it for you.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Do NVR's do SSL for their web pages? I'd think so. just give them that and forward the port lol.

ChooChooman74

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just had a TP-Link POE+ Switch pop after 3 weeks of light use, so I am very sketchy on them.

Personally, I like Asus. I use an Asus AC-87U (AC-87R if you get it from Best Buy). I run Asus DDNS so I don't have to remember an IP address. Open VPN was very easy to configure and to add user logins.

On the NVR side, you can make users, and you can select which cameras they are allowed to see and/or replay.

variant2

n3wb
Reaction score
The TP-R600VPN is not going to be compatible with iPhones / iPads running iOS 10