Shifting gears....

Reaction score
I bought a new truck... well... new to me.
a 2019 Ford F-150 with 4,738 miles on it, that left the factory on October 12, 2019. :)
It had a MSRP sticker price of 55,940.00....

1596298330489.png

I bought mine for $24,200.00

Here's why:

1596298393203.png

I am hoping repairs will be about $4,000... possibly less, but there tends to be a $1,000 surprise in a salvage vehicle-- hopefully not two! yes-- it will have a salvage title, but I don't care-- I drive cars until they fall apart, and I'm not trying to "flip" this for a few bucks. This will probably be my truck until I die.... LOL (hopefully THAT is a few decades away or so).

Anyone else do a rebuildable vehicle ??

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Congrats on the new ride! I bought a 2011 F150 Super Crew about a year and a half ago. Like you, I drive them until the wheels fall off. I lost that "fascination" with cars a long time ago. What they build today, versus what I grew up with, is a completely different thing. In terms of repairs, all I had to do was plugs and coil packs. Everything else was fine. I can do body and paint work as well as mechanical stuff, but not any more. Did too much for too long!

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
Drivers Front corner.jpg
It all depends on what under the skin!
You will love the truck! We had several in the fleet, both v8 and v6 eco boost. I like the eco boost.
The v8 will beet it off the line, but the eco boost will pass it before 40 mph and never look back.

if there is no frame damage, bumper area damage, or engine accessories, you should come out ok.
Have you taken it by a body shop for an estimate? It is a free way to find out what they would do to fix it.
Act like you want them to fix it, so they will give you a good idea what all is damaged. Sometimes an
experienced eye will bring out things you can't see.
My father had a body shop, so I was required to learn the trade, I loved to paint.
Did me some good, as I flipped a couple cars while young and out of a job.
Things have changed a Ton since I was in it. I still do a little on my antiques, and hot rods.
My old 65....

Reaction score
if there is no frame damage, bumper area damage, or engine accessories, you should come out ok.
Have you taken it by a body shop for an estimate? It is a free way to find out what they would do to fix it.
Act like you want them to fix it, so they will give you a good idea what all is damaged. Sometimes an
experienced eye will bring out things you can't see.
My father had a body shop, so I was required to learn the trade, I loved to paint.
Did me some good, as I flipped a couple cars while young and out of a job.
Things have changed a Ton since I was in it. I still do a little on my antiques, and hot rods.
My old 65....
I am working out a deal with a friend who has a repair shop and a used car dealership.
He needs parts/database stations in his repair area that will be client machines to his primary computer where the database software is located and will act as a server for the others. The software is his entire system for creating repair orders, invoices, estimates, etc.... I got two old Dells off eBay with 4th gen I5's that will work great-- once I put SSD's in them. So-- right now he has NO network, LOL. I am putting in a rack, patch-panel, and an HP 26 port switch (with 12 poe), and will run cable to his mechanic workstations and to his office. The POE will let him add a camera system later, which I will help him with. He currently has 2 battery-operated wifi ARLO cams!! LOL.
In return-- he is doing the repair work. Each of us will pay for our parts and exchange our labor. Sweet! :)

This truck has lots of extras I never would have ordered myself--- pretty cool.

1596303965368.png

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I was very surprised by the performance of the EcoBoost. It'll light the tires off the line if there's the slightest bit of dirt/sand/gravel on the road. Mileage is great, too, considering the curb weight of the truck. One thing I did add is remote start that works off the factory remote. Nice in both hot and cold weather.

Reaction score
I was very surprised by the performance of the EcoBoost. It'll light the tires off the line if there's the slightest bit of dirt/sand/gravel on the road. Mileage is great, too, considering the curb weight of the truck. One thing I did add is remote start that works off the factory remote. Nice in both hot and cold weather.
Here is my highway mpg's driving it home from the dealer up in North Dakota...

1596308534492.png

I couldn't believe it--- that is the typical mileage I get out of my old Nissan Frontier with a 4 cylinder... LOL
I really hope my repairs come in as cheap as possible!

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
I am working out a deal with a friend who has a repair shop and a used car dealership.
He needs parts/database stations in his repair area that will be client machines to his primary computer where the database software is located and will act as a server for the others. The software is his entire system for creating repair orders, invoices, estimates, etc.... I got two old Dells off eBay with 4th gen I5's that will work great-- once I put SSD's in them. So-- right now he has NO network, LOL. I am putting in a rack, patch-panel, and an HP 26 port switch (with 12 poe), and will run cable to his mechanic workstations and to his office. The POE will let him add a camera system later, which I will help him with. He currently has 2 battery-operated wifi ARLO cams!! LOL.
In return-- he is doing the repair work. Each of us will pay for our parts and exchange our labor. Sweet! :)

This truck has lots of extras I never would have ordered myself--- pretty cool.

View attachment 67797
Great, that's the best way to do it! You do whats best and easiest for you and he does too1
That is a slick truck, you will enjoy it for a long time.

The 3.5 with 10 speed is the best combination! it tows like a mother also.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
Put the Hypertech tuner on it and it will really pull about 3,000rpm and up!

Reaction score
Wow, what I don't understand is how did the insurance company total that truck for so little damage? I mean it has a salvage title, so it was totaled. It doesn't even look like it was hit. Looks like it was in the process of being stripped.
There was damage to suspension and steering components that the salvage yard fixed. I had to put a tire (~$250) on, and an tire pressure sensor, and I got the alignment done. I have a report for before and after alignment-- and everything adjusted out easily and true, and they didn't see any evidence of frame damage... though I will probably have that checked at the stealership, er, dealership....

Reaction score
So like the truck was dropped on it's PS front tire from 50 feet up or something? By Mothra? Was it used in a movie? Maybe hit a curb real hard? Wow that is a great find!
You'll have to check where you live for salvage dealers. There are some everywhere-- ask any bodyshop and they will tell you which ones to watch (and which ones are crooked or lack transparency with damages). They all get supplied with vehicles through salvage auctions-- and most vehicles are torn apart and parts sold.

Here is a Huge seller in Missouri--- 74auto.com. LOL--- there is a truck that looks similar to the one I bought-- but it is a lower trim line, a year older, 50k more miles, and the door is jacked on this one where mine is OK.... $17,500 2018 Ford F-150 Crewcab 4x4| 74 Auto LLC

This dealer near Sioux Falls sells a LOT of wrecked vehicles every week.... keeping an eye on the "new arrivals" several times per day from 11am on gives you an idea of what sells-- some are gone within minutes. New Arrivals - RepairableVehicles.com

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
You'll have to check where you live for salvage dealers. There are some everywhere-- ask any bodyshop and they will tell you which ones to watch (and which ones are crooked or lack transparency with damages). They all get supplied with vehicles through salvage auctions-- and most vehicles are torn apart and parts sold.

Here is a Huge seller in Missouri--- 74auto.com. LOL--- there is a truck that looks similar to the one I bought-- but it is a lower trim line, a year older, 50k more miles, and the door is jacked on this one where mine is OK.... $17,500 2018 Ford F-150 Crewcab 4x4| 74 Auto LLC

All of the air bags will cost a pretty penny on that one. Think you have to replace the SRS computer also when the bags go off

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
You can get the passenger side fender via a salvage yard on car-part.com
Good find. Odd that it was considered totaled

I bought a new truck... well... new to me.
a 2019 Ford F-150 with 4,738 miles on it, that left the factory on October 12, 2019. :)
It had a MSRP sticker price of 55,940.00....

View attachment 67776

I bought mine for $24,200.00

Here's why:

View attachment 67778

I am hoping repairs will be about $4,000... possibly less, but there tends to be a $1,000 surprise in a salvage vehicle-- hopefully not two! yes-- it will have a salvage title, but I don't care-- I drive cars until they fall apart, and I'm not trying to "flip" this for a few bucks. This will probably be my truck until I die.... LOL (hopefully THAT is a few decades away or so).

Anyone else do a rebuildable vehicle ??

Reaction score
You can get the passenger side fender via a salvage yard on car-part.com
Good find. Odd that it was considered totaled
yeah-- even with the suspension parts that were replaced, it's hard to understand how they totaled it. All I can think is that they had expensive insurance that would do new-vehicle replacement. The original California registration was still in the truck -- owned by a Cab business??? --- kinda weird. I think maybe someone got a new truck and "on paper" it was owned by his business to write it off. I can't imagine a truck being used as a cab.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
yeah-- even with the suspension parts that were replaced, it's hard to understand how they totaled it. All I can think is that they had expensive insurance that would do new-vehicle replacement. The original California registration was still in the truck -- owned by a Cab business??? --- kinda weird. I think maybe someone got a new truck and "on paper" it was owned by his business to write it off. I can't imagine a truck being used as a cab.
Cab East LLC is Fords titling company for ford credit. Note one issue with a salvage title is that many carriers will not insure it - varies by state.

Reaction score
Cab East LLC is Fords titling company for ford credit. Note one issue with a salvage title is that many carriers will not insure it - varies by state.
Oh---- that TOTALLY makes sense now!!! Then the name below that was the owner.

EDIT: and Yes with the salvage title - insurance thing--- I had to start a policy with Jake, from State Farm. My current insurance won't cover salvage--- time to go insurance shopping.