Short testing of the 8MP TiOC IPC-HDW3849H-AS-PV-S4

Mark_M

Known around here
Reaction score
I bought this IPC-HDW3849H-AS-PV-S4 2.8mm from @EMPIRETECANDY in 2023 to replace my overview camera.

The TiOC function works great. I schedule a voice file overnight and a short beep noise during the day. Through the API I enable/disable arming.
This is a camera you would use at a perimeter to deter someone before they enter your property. Night quality is not as good as other Dahua cameras.

Dual microphones and special audio filtering algorithm work well to distinguish voices against background noise. In these tests I had this filter turned off so you can hear other noises.

1717821707501.png

1717821481034.png

1717821448058.png

1717821581129.png

Before you ask, I do have other cameras with longer focal length (more zoom) on this driveway. Capturing a face or licence plate is not a priority for this camera.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I must admit, I kind of like the red and blue flashing LED's @ 2:34 for this reason:

We've all seen how motion-activated white lights seem to do little to deter a door-checker.....most are not fazed a bit and it appears they appreciate the additional lighting to better pursue the one thing they are good at. Their pea-sized brains can't fathom that there could be a camera recording them at that moment.

But flashing red and blue LED's just might be a different story and cause them to stop and hopefully leave. FWIW, I'm not a fan of audio alerts or alarms from dusk to dawn, especially in a urban or metro setting.

Thanks for the post! :headbang::cool:

Last edited:

Mark_M

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, the 1/1.8" should be much nicer.

Although regardless of sensor quality; flashing red & blue lights will distort an image in color. In B&W it's not too much distortion. My preference would be a diffused strobe light (not focused like the IR light).
I disabled white light so that anyone walking along the street wouldn't trigger it (and draw attention to the camera unnecessarily).

RockIsland

n3wb
Reaction score
I bought this IPC-HDW3849H-AS-PV-S4 2.8mm from @EMPIRETECANDY in 2023 to replace my overview camera.

The TiOC function works great. I schedule a voice file overnight and a short beep noise during the day. Through the API I enable/disable arming.
This is a camera you would use at a perimeter to deter someone before they enter your property. Night quality is not as good as other Dahua cameras.

Dual microphones and special audio filtering algorithm work well to distinguish voices against background noise. In these tests I had this filter turned off so you can hear other noises.

View attachment 196054

View attachment 196052

View attachment 196051

View attachment 196053

Before you ask, I do have other cameras with longer focal length (more zoom) on this driveway. Capturing a face or licence plate is not a priority for this camera.
Hey ! Thank you for the test. I have the same model S4 version, but have not installed them yet. I have read some negative comments the previous models S3 or lower. Are you satisfied with them overall ? Or do you plan to change them for other model ? :)

Thank you for your answer.

Mark_M

Known around here
Reaction score
Hey ! Thank you for the test. I have the same model S4 version, but have not installed them yet. I have read some negative comments the previous models S3 or lower. Are you satisfied with them overall ? Or do you plan to change them for other model ? :)

Thank you for your answer.
It's a good camera for being a deterrent. Not a good camera for night quality.
I say scaring off the intruder is better than being burgled and trying to identity them afterwards.