Shots Fired

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
With "good" neighbours I'd be sharing the video letting them know the vehicle that shot at them. Gangbangers? Better not let them know you're involved and have cameras up if at all possible. I bet the police have already talked to them but it's hard to guess what they've shared already.

Nothing near that exciting goes on here. Apart from car prowlers, the only really criminal activity I've caught is the neighbour's friend's drug dealer doing deliveries when they're partying.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
gangbangers are pussies by definition, I am not going to live in fear of them.. they have committed plenty of crime on my cameras already and never bothered to take notice, they are hardly intelligent people.. i mean wtf, 300ft shot with a snub nose revolver.. probably holding it sideways, fuck knows where that landed but it was pretty much guaranteed not to hit what you aimed it at.

my security footage is already so public there is little point in me trying to hide it anymore; Ive sacrificed a bit of security for the benifit of my community and all you here.. however I do not believe in security through obscurity, if you have to rely on ignorance/deception then your on a shaky foundation to begin with.. my cameras are discrete, yet ALL my neighbors know about them.. I know some people on nextdoor are criminals, I have enough proof after a former cop outed him self on nextdoor then weeks later started getting pig written on his property and windows broken..

overall id say people behave around me and my property much better now that I have outed a little bit of my capabilities.. I dont share all though, its only natural for the paranoid.. but I hardly rely on keeping everything a secret.

I have neighbors I have helped with there cameras who remain entirely discrete, dead quiet.. they ask me to look for video and share it cause they wont, but its good people see this shit.. it makes them think about there own security; and that in-exchange increases my own.

Jps62

n3wb
Reaction score
Wow. The stupidity of these kinds of folk never ceases to amaze me. Great video though...not to mention a good still frame of the vehicle. Even though a license plate would be ideal, just knowing a vehicle make/ model is often extremely helpful to the PD. Hopefully a dark colored older model Cherokee isn't too common in your area, let alone one that looks like it's missing a center cap on the rear wheel.

Nice catch. Keep us posted!

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
lots of nice shotguns out there, I like the Vepr 12ga.. but that M4 is pretty badass in its own rights.

living in a split level house, I question the effectiveness of a shotgun for SD with so many corridors and levels... I like my cowboy revolver, it can be discretely tucked away if nessicary and it also works better against grizzlies than a can of compressed seasoning..

Pistol grip bang sticks are fun until someone slips a slug into your bucket..

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Holy crap @nayr, I just saw this now. Glad you are okay and on the case. Thanks for sharing everything with the community always. I understand that you definitely sacrifice some privacy, as you said, for the community, so it's much appreciated.

Last edited:

LittleBrother

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Pretty wild. Bad luck on missing it on the vid. I expect eventually you will have to have software that is using OCR to read plates and insert into a simple database (rather like cops do) instead of just holding images as I presume you do now.

If you didn't find the bullets in your house they likely weren't aiming at you, as you've no doubt figured out!

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I already have software using OCR to read plated into a database, unfortunately I do not have the approach from the left covered, had they came from the right.. I would have plates.

I already went through every single vehicle that passed my plate camera in the day for the last month or two, the vehicle that fired the shots has never been past that camera before.. some 20k images I combed through looking for it.

they shot the other direction up the street, not towards my house.. but it was still too f'n close for comfort.. didnt really miss anything, im not sure what a different FOV would have gained.. at that distance absolutely nothing I suspect.. I got a very clear image of the vehicle out in the street, and that's the best I could hope for.

the only thing that could of helped me video wise would have been a westerly (left) facing LPR camera.. but I have no good options that direction for a location or I would have already done it.

eddiequeue

n3wb
Reaction score
Damn, what a situation. If I had to guess I'd bet that vehicle was stolen, pretty common for them to do that before something like this and those old jeeps are easy to boost. Glad everyone is safe and no one was hurt.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Pretty wild. Bad luck on missing it on the vid. I expect eventually you will have to have software that is using OCR to read plates and insert into a simple database (rather like cops do) instead of just holding images as I presume you do now.

If you didn't find the bullets in your house they likely weren't aiming at you, as you've no doubt figured out!
He already does... but that camera points the other way. The open source software doesn't work as well / requires more training than the stuff the cops use. EDIT: oops a little async... typed this and walked away before posting it 2 hours later.

In the case of this video, the detail just isn't there. I tried for fun to see if there was enough detail to bother running some fancy math on it to enhance it, but the plates are all washed out (as you'd expect).

If @nayr had an overview cam running in day mode he'd probably know the color for sure. Regarding 'compressed seasoning' we don't have grizzlies in colorado, black bears usually aren't too hard to scare off. Thanks to a quick map search, it looks like most every major intersection near your house has red light cams and possibly ALPR. I'm betting a time stamp, vehicle make/model, and location provide the cops with a license plate with less than 15 min of effort. The only catch will be if they were smart enough to use a stolen car. Glad you're safe.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
what makes you think I only play in colorado? Ive traversed hundreds of miles of the rockies on foot from here to Canada, and always encounter bears it seems.. but yeah nothing here I am too concerned about other than moose.

neighbor had a cam running in color, and a witness saw it.. its black for sure.. nearly all my neighbors heard it.. but yeah the police have far more resources and abilities than I do.

openalpr works well for me, you dont need to do any training.. out of the box it was reading plates with ease, if you set it up like the municipalities do on a pole/car mounted next to the road with a massive flash it'd be amazingly good.. my only gripe is the resources it requires, but now that I have offloaded gfx its reasonable, handles my 30Mbps video stream in realtime at ~40w tops.. much less at night.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
what makes you think I only play in colorado? Ive traversed hundreds of miles of the rockies on foot from here to Canada, and always encounter bears it seems.. but yeah nothing here I am too concerned about other than moose.
Nothing, but it can be a pain to travel either with a gun or bear spray. Mountain lions are dangerous too, but the risk is greatest if your running, biking, or a child who gets separated from the group. You see their scat a lot more often than you see them, which is unnerving when it's fresh you have the feeling you're being watched.

Thanks for clarifying on open alpr, I was under the impression from another thread that plate variations from state to state and country to country tripped it up at times. Good to know it mostly works out of the box at least with common plates.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
its too too much of a problem until you hit the pacific coast states, the rest of the wild west it's pretty easy to travel with a loaded gun in your lap and carry openly when you are not traveling.. now days you can even openly carry in national parks and I quite like that newfound freedom.

Ive encountered the spine tingling chill produced by a large cat being nearby, it's entirely disconcerting.. they instill a fear unlike the other large predators thats for sure.. seeing a bear/wolf/moose nearby unlikely to be the last thing you see, unlike a lion.. if you see one while alone in the back country, chances are your in deep shit and have been for a while.. luckily Ive never seen one in such a situation, obviously heh.. I've heard one caterwauling at night before, sounded absolutely nuts and woke me from a dead sleep like nothing else ever has.

OpenALPR comes pre-trained for the US and most of Europe, you'd only need to do additional training if your country is not already trained.. such as Australians, they have yet to be trained but can still get ok results using the german training because the fonts used are so close... the'll get better results though once someone has done the training on the Aussie font.

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Glad you made it out ok Nayr

I still got that black face ptz lol

fbnoise

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Tonight at 11, paranoid network engineer is even more paranoid today after shots rang out in front of his residence, and it was all caught on his sophisticated surveillance system.

Seriously though, local news would eat that up - anything a "homeowner catches on camera" these days, until everyone has cameras. Obviously not fun to peg yourself on the news as the location that submitted the info (blur your mailbox number btw, just because), but it'd turn the heat up on them for sure. Someone on your street knows that car and the shooter. One thing leads to another.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
im not sending it to the news agency.. and I did get a post card yesterday saying the case had closed for lack of information... which is about what I had expected even if I had a plate and audio of them using there full names.

hook3m

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
im not sending it to the news agency.. and I did get a post card yesterday saying the case had closed for lack of information... which is about what I had expected even if I had a plate and audio of them using there full names.
At least you got a post card or some notification. Where I live you get nothing but silence.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Seriously though, local news would eat that up - anything a "homeowner catches on camera" these days, until everyone has cameras. Obviously not fun to peg yourself on the news as the location that submitted the info (blur your mailbox number btw, just because), but it'd turn the heat up on them for sure. Someone on your street knows that car and the shooter. One thing leads to another.
That type of footage is usually really good at showcasing how crappy many surveillance systems are.

Too bad they didn't get any leads.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
...living in a split level house, I question the effectiveness of a shotgun for SD with so many corridors and levels... I like my...revolver...
Revolvers are the most dependable firearms, no doubt. H O W E V E R. There exists many a fantasy about how one believes one is going to perform roaming around a dark house filled with a bad guy or two. Hollywood has instilled a high noon drop 'em where they stand fiction in the average American male...when the reality it most men will end up will wetting their pants and shooting their dog. If confronted with this scenario, is much better I M O to rack the 12 gauge and blow a hole in the ceiling where you stand causing said bad guys to wet their pants and beat a hasty yet determined retreat out of the house into the night from whenst they came. And never to return. A 24 inch hole in the ceiling is a lot easier to deal with than shooting your dog or killing a BG (because unless your a heartless zombie bastid, killing even a BG is going to Karma you out tough guy)...bonus: you and the Mrs. won't have to scrub BG brains and blood off the ceiling, walls and buy new rugs. One is not half as tough nor is one as calm and cool as one thinks one will be until one has been confronted with being shot at...and shot in dozens different events. Think of this as CSI, but with bullets flying instead of "enhancement." Just make certain that when you blow that hole in your ceiling your kid isn't sleeping in the room above where you stand. Opps.