Shots Fired

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
way back when I just moved into the house.. was well before I had any cameras up, I see a flashlight flick on in my back yard as I am looking out my bedroom window @ 2am.. grab a housecoat, my revolver, and my tactical light and head to the back door.. I creep out the back and see someone at the fence line (4ft chainlink), I click the light on and point my revolver in that direction and see a little old lady whom was cutting across my yard to get to the shared electrical box in my neighbors yard, her power was out.. I was able to discretely drop the revolver into the house coat pocket and help her check the master circuit on her house, gave her some emergency candles since she only had basically a toy flashlight and told her to call her electrician back in the morning.. she had no idea I drew a gun on her, and that was for the better.

its one of the few times I've taken my gun out, if someone actually breaks into my house my plan is just to lie in wait, let my dogs take charge.. they are welcome to leave with there lives if they dont come up the stairs to the bedrooms.

fbnoise

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
"if someone actually breaks into my house my plan is just to lie in wait, let my dogs take charge.. they are welcome to leave with there lives if they dont come up the stairs to the bedrooms."

Very level-headed thinking there. I've never thought about the advantage of all the bedrooms being on a second story, the stairs being a chokepoint you can guard in a situation like that.

After this post and your other I ran into about the things you're customizing at home, I could see you moving out of that NAYRhood and getting a small piece of land, setting up some solar arrays and other cool stuff..

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
just me opening my bed side safe will trigger every light in the house to turn on and the TV's to all flip to the cameras, the lights kick on instantly.. I would hope that plus the alarm system and dogs are enough to drive them away, but if not at least I wont shoot a family member or friend trying to pull a stupid prank.

99% of the shit Ive dealt with I've never ever thought about going for the gun, but its nice knowing its there for that 1% or less where I may actually need it.. if I cant do the job in 6 shots, then I was not going to do it with 8 or 12.. My revolver gets most of its use strapped to a backpack when I am on foot hours away from a road.. otherwise its locked up, fully loaded.. no safety.. now when I finally get a nice vacation cabin, I'll get a shotgun and hang it over the door, with the rounds starting at rock salt end ending at a slug.. because its more than likely going to be a varmit/bear gun than defensive.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
just me opening my bed side safe will trigger every light in the house to turn on and the TV's to all flip to the cameras, the lights kick on instantly.. I would hope that plus the alarm system and dogs are enough to drive them away, but if not at least I wont shoot a family member or friend trying to pull a stupid prank.

99% of the shit Ive dealt with I've never ever thought about going for the gun, but its nice knowing its there for that 1% or less where I may actually need it.. if I cant do the job in 6 shots, then I was not going to do it with 8 or 12.. My revolver gets most of its use strapped to a backpack when I am on foot hours away from a road.. otherwise its locked up, fully loaded.. no safety.. now when I finally get a nice vacation cabin, I'll get a shotgun and hang it over the door, with the rounds starting at rock salt end ending at a slug.. because its more than likely going to be a varmit/bear gun than defensive.
I don't have it set up anymore, but as part of my security system I used to have a recording that would play that said "Danger, anti-personnel security measures now active" paired with a modified fog machine (budget security fogger).

On the cabin front it's a close call which I've had more encounters with at my parent's cabin: bears or meth head burglar neighbors. I'll say this, the bears are smarter and easier to scare off. I actually saw a mountain lion the last time I was there, it was startled by an F-15 that did a very low flyover.

Last edited by a moderator:

srfrmac87

n3wb
Reaction score
I am really sorry that this happened. At least you know what happened now. The cameras captured that pretty well. @nayr you have a very pragmatic approach to home defense. And that regress as far as possible attitude is actually kind of the law here. My personal preference for in-home is shotgun, unmistakable sound, hard to miss while under duress, easy to use when gross motor skills are lowered during heightened stress, very reliable. that being said, a revolver would be next on the list. They do have hand guns that have a (couple?) shotgun shell it can fire.

I like that you were went to the landlords. Hopefully that problem gets cleared up.
@tangent nice. definitely keeping that in mind, has to be done in a British accent though. makes it sound scarier.

BTW everyone, unfortunately, there is no magic thing to clarify video that cops have access to. Maybe feds/military having some top secret thing. A good general rule is that enhancing wont find something that isnt recorded. Enhancing can smooth out movements, maybe blur or sharpen images if it helps, but its not going to find a license plate that is a white hotspot or just off in nothingness. The whole phenomenon is known as the "CSI Effect."

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@nayr, have you ever tested how your dogs react to your sirens?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
my half Pyrenees and Aussie has been trained to go into high alert with gunfire and sirens and seek out the source.. he's also been trained to do perimeter patrols on command where he will check all the gates and potential hiding places on our property.

Great Guard dog, completely chill and relaxed.. until it detects a threat to its pack then its big, mean and intimidating.

SquareEyes

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
G'day Nayr,

You are as cool as ever. Would have thought the recreational pot in CO would have chilled everyone the fuck out. Glad you and yours are safe.

Wondering if you have set your OpenSprinkler (Beagle IIRC) to react to acoustic triggers?

Cheers

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
...OpenSprinkler (Beagle IIRC)...
Very cool appliance mate and g'day back atcha! Another appliance on The Internet of Things. And another potential security hole. Wendy's hamburger chain, Target, Home Depot, yadda, yadda, yadda. But while Your Internet of Things certainly is a immensely less appealing target...it is a target none-the-less.

Danger Will Robinson.

Who would have ever thought that one's washing machine might be a security risk.

SquareEyes

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Danger Will Robinson.
No danger whatsoever, if you set your network up correctly and I am damn certain that Nayr has this covered.

Would quite happily post my public IP address on the forum knowing full well that my network will not be compromised. DDOS could make the connection wonky and cause my ISP some grief but my network would remain secure.

I am a fan of TP-Link routers flashed with Gargoyle firmware. Being opensource, it is exactly the right price, free. It natively supports OpenVPN that is also free and Dynamic DNS that can also be free if you renew your domain every few months by email.

Gargoyle potentially turns a $150 router into >$500 functional router. Other brands of routers can be used but in my situations TP-Link have proven themselves reliable and robust.

Still want to know if the sprinters were acoustically triggered or it was just coincidence?

SquareEyes

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I thought the sprinklers came on before the shots.
Right you are! Thanks.

I was too busy looking at the vehicles. Very early to have sprinklers on though, just before sunrise is most water efficient.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
No danger whatsoever, if you set your network up correctly and I am damn certain that Nayr has this covered...
I, too, have zero doubt that Nayr has his network locked down...I was however thinking of the millions (soon to be billions?) of John and Jane Doe's who are out there and who are clueless about security and who's internet connected SmartWasher, remotely accessible dishwashers, refrigerators and toasters may have poorly designed software. Absolutely no knock on you and your product SquareEyes, but this Internet of Things is looking to be a tad ridiculous imo.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
the sprinklers are on a soak and cycle, they run for a few mins and then shutoff for a while then run for a few more mins.. im a high altitude desert, want the water to go into the ground and not roll off.. and there is almost no risk of mold/mildew so each zone's 15min cycle is broken into 3x 5min runs with an hour of soak in between.

http://dispatch.nayr.net is my automation server, enjoy hacking my Washing Machine..

SquareEyes

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was however thinking of the millions (soon to be billions?) of John and Jane Doe's who are out there and who are clueless about security
Don't worry about them, they will all be too busy playing Pokemon Go.

Take Google Street view and refine it to a whole new level of accuracy.

Will stop crapping on here and may take this to general chit-chat.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
That's it nayr. All your darks will be done in hot water now. Delicates? On heavy duty. You're screwed.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As connected sprinklers go, Open Sprinkler is pretty much the only one that will always get software updates and you can exert FULL control over.