Should I avoid Blue Iris

sukafun

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Guys, I bought myself 4 8mp Dahua TIOC IP cameras. I have a decent computer (10th gen i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz 8 cores and 32GB RAM). I installed Blue Iris demo and no matter what camera I add the live stream is awful. I've tried my new Dahua cameras and old Dlink cameras and they are all the same. I don't have the issue with my Dlink software so not a camera, computer or network issue. Everything is hard wired as well (GB network).
Should I avoid Blue Iris and try an alliterative software?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am assuming it is the HDW3849H and if so that is the problem, not Blue Iris. I can't speak for the DLink but it is probably a poor camera. Post some screenshots and videos of what you are seeing.

That 3849 is an 8MP on a 1/2.8" sensor, so it is on a horrible MP/sensor ratio. You cannot have enough light at night for it to perform well.

Even worse, this 8MP is on the same sensor and CPU as a 2MP non TIOC camera and there are many threads here showing how under-performing that 3849 is. They had to limit bitrate and other parameters on the 3849 to try to make it functional, and it just doesn't cut it.

In my opinion the 3849 should not be sold with that current MP/sensor and CPU combination, but alas everybody wants 4k and chases MP over sensor and this camera is the epitome of that thinking.

Further, the red/blue flashing lights are more gimmicky and are certainly not a deterrent. With any ambient light you won't see the red/blue flashing unless you are looking right at the camera.

If you want active deterrence, your best bet is to go with the 2MP IPC-T5241H-AS-PV that will blink the white light. This is on the ideal MP/sensor ratio and will perform comparably to any similar 2MP fixed lens camera by Dahua. I have two of them. I have some of the other active deterrence cams as well, and would opt for the 2MP in every instance except for indoor, one could go with the IPC-HDW3449HP-AS-PV that has the red/blue lights that will bounce off the walls and be much more impressive than outside.

Lot's of threads here where people showed how bad the camera is in performing:

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Beyond the above, not real clear what aspect is "horrible" from your post. Maybe if you provide more specifics someone here can help. In any case, BI itself likely isn't the issue. No problem getting good video and you've got plenty of machine to run it.

sukafun

n3wb
Reaction score
I didn't know that the camera I got is that bad. The Dahua guy told me it's a hot item at the moment. This's the camera I bought is DH-IPC-HDW3849H-AS-PV-S3

In regards to Blue Iris, I'm talking about just adding the camera to Blue Iris as is with its default settings, I found live view is extremely slow. The video frame moves every 5 seconds see video.

The live view from the camera URL itself is fine.

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Guys, I bought myself 4 8mp Dahua TIOC IP cameras. I have a decent computer (10th gen i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz 8 cores and 32GB RAM). I installed Blue Iris demo and no matter what camera I add the live stream is awful. I've tried my new Dahua cameras and old Dlink cameras and they are all the same. I don't have the issue with my Dlink software so not a camera, computer or network issue. Everything is hard wired as well (GB network).
Should I avoid Blue Iris and try an alliterative software?
Yes avoid, it's terrible software. When you ask a question like this in this manner you don't deserve to use blue iris. Blue Iris requires an IQ of over 80 which you don't seem to possess.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
have a look at the vide attached before you comment smart guy
Why don't you be truthful in the original post and tell us how you are accessing Blue Iris? You are using the remote desktop. There is a setting you need to adjust the blue iris for this dumbass. Moreover even if that wasn't your issue use a bit of logic there are thousands of blue iris users here do you think we would tolerate one frame every 5 seconds?? If you can't use that basic logic to come to the conclusion that you are doing something wrong then blue iris is not for you again it requires an IQ of over 80. This is not your fault the developer should have included it in the minimum standards.

sukafun

n3wb
Reaction score
Why don't you be truthful in the original post and tell us how you are accessing Blue Iris? You are using the remote desktop. There is a setting you need to adjust the blue iris for this dumbass. Moreover even if that wasn't your issue use a bit of logic there are thousands of blue iris users here do you think we would tolerate one frame every 5 seconds?? If you can't use that basic logic to come to the conclusion that you are doing something wrong then blue iris is not for you again it requires an IQ of over 80. This is not your fault the developer should have included it in the minimum standards.
RDP isn't the issue. I can play video while showing you the 5 seconds lag. Lag is from Blue Iris. I have not seen this issue when trying different software. I know I'm doing something wrong but again I would expect at least I can get normal video stream with default settings.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
RDP isn't the issue. I can play video while showing you the 5 seconds lag. Lag is from Blue Iris. I have not seen this issue when trying different software. I know I'm doing something wrong but again I would expect at least I can get normal video stream with default settings.
Again this might be due to your low IQ I said there is a specific setting you need to change in Blue Iris that directly affects the frame rate when using RDP. Did you not read my post? Now be a big boy and search The forum for the setting because you need to learn how to do things yourself.... A normal person would post something simple like hey I'm testing Blue Iris and I have this issue .... The tone of your post indicates that you are an internet prick. It's impossible that you're doing something wrong God forbid

sukafun

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I played with the settings and found "Video during Remote Desktop" setting set to 5 seconds. I switched it to unrestricted and now stream is fine.

I must admit, I got a little frustrated as I've tried 3 different CCTV management software and without changing any settings I recieved video stream.