Should I get the Reolink RLC-423 or maybe Hikvsion DS-2CD2142FWD-is ?

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi, Thanks for the info Mat. I've already begun scanning the info you sent and I'll continue to keep reading up. I think my priority is the front door, second prority would be driveway if possible. I'm thinking something like this? Depending on where I actually mount it and where the door is compared to the roof I may cut off a little more of the driveway but I think that's OK.

AnglePlan by philipgonzales3, on Flickr

Will I need to buy a junction box? It's a rental house and I don't want to make any large holes. My plan was to run the Ethernet cable out an existing hole that is used for coaxial cable. Then just plug the ethernet into the camera. So basically just make the small holes only for mounting the camera. I was reading something that said either drill a big hole for the cable or buy a junction box? Does that sound right?

Regards,

Philip
Are you wanting to identify people with it? A camera with that wide an angle is going to suck at night making someone's face out. If you're worried about your front door, find a place to mount the camera beside your door pointed where people approach from and get a small FoV, try 6 or 10.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Will I need to buy a junction box? It's a rental house and I don't want to make any large holes. My plan was to run the Ethernet cable out an existing hole that is used for coaxial cable. Then just plug the ethernet into the camera. So basically just make the small holes only for mounting the camera. I was reading something that said either drill a big hole for the cable or buy a junction box? Does that sound right?

Regards,

Philip
Hi Philip,

I really like junction boxes now that I have used them.

It is possible to use a cat5e/cat6 cable without the RJ45 head and drill a small hole then attach the connector parts and RJ45 and then connect to the pig tail of the camera and then use silicone stretch tape to wrap it all up and leave that exposed outside of the wall - hopefully under that eaves.

For me, I didn't trust that setup as much as someone could cut the cables easily and a junction box gives more additional protect vs rain.

Play around with your view a bit - if you already have the camera mount it on a 2x4 and try different views - remember to try to see if you can ID subjects at various distances.

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Are you wanting to identify people with it? A camera with that wide an angle is going to suck at night making someone's face out. If you're worried about your front door, find a place to mount the camera beside your door pointed where people approach from and get a small FoV, try 6 or 10.
Yes, I want to identify people with it. By 6 or 10 you mean the focal length? With 6 I get a HFoV of 44 degrees. with 10mm I get a HFov of 27 degrees. Sounds like I need 2 cameras in the front. One that will get from the front door to the mailbox. It will be at about 85 ppf at the mailbox and I assume I would be able to clearly see from the front step all the way to the mailbox? Then I can get one that goes down the driveway and set it up similarly.

Does this sound right? Sorry for all the questions, it's just a lot of concepts I was not familiar with.

How is my setup inside? I am rather proud of myself as this is the first time I've mounted a camera haha. Feel free to tear me down, I mean offer suggestions.

For the nursery (excuse the mess) the only thing I care about is overhead view of the crib. For the Livingroom I would like to get the couch and the door, and for the kitchen I would like to get mostly the table and secondly the door if someone were to walk through there. You think I am trying to get too wide of a view?

20170918_215213 (1) by philipgonzales3, on Flickr

20170918_214351 (1) by philipgonzales3, on Flickr

KK004 1080P Black | Keekoon - A Smart Wireless Video Monitoring IP Camera Manufacturer Specs of the camera. 2mp f:3.6 1080P Blue iris shows 15 fps

Thanks for all the help guys!

Regards,

Philip

Gymratz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hard to know if you're missing anything without knowing layout of your house - but I'm a fan of what you've captured. May not get the best ID shot on the front door - but is that even your goal? To have a general idea of what is going on in your house, this definitely helps.

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hard to know if you're missing anything without knowing layout of your house - but I'm a fan of what you've captured. May not get the best ID shot on the front door - but is that even your goal? To have a general idea of what is going on in your house, this definitely helps.
My thinking was outside cam would be for the ID and inside ones just to see everything that's going on. Caught the dog chewing shoes on the couch already and also on top of the dining room table chewing on a water bottle. I can easily identify my wife and son entering and leaving the house. Our daycare said my wife did not send our daughter to daycare with socks. I actually have the footage of her putting on my daughter's socks on the dining room table! Haha not the clearest video but definitely can tell what's going on. So yeah I guess it is working out pretty good so far.

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
When you're adjusting the FoV in that camera tool, do you see the black part of the triangle? Try to get the area you're trying to capture into that black triangle for the best day/night performance. You'll find with a really wide 2.8mm lens the triangle is very small. You could use that for a general area camera trying to watch movement, and then have another camera with a narrow FoV beside the front door to record people entering the home. You can get very clean pictures of faces much easier when you have a narrow FoV, with the downside they have to walk into the path of the camera. Luckily being right beside the door, they have to in order to get inside.

awahl101

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I like to test many cameras out, all seem to have their strengths and weaknesses.

I have been running a reolink rlc410 for a while now, its an ok camera, night ir isnt that great and the fps drops to 8 fps at night which is a downfall along with limited adjustability.

The hikvision exir line is my favorite so far, honestly blows most cameras away at night for the price. The spread is very even and throws far. I have this personally.
Hikvision DS-2CD2T42WD-I5 4mm Bullet POE Camera, White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018LPGODM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_5XgXzbPNC86KE

I also have put some I8 models in that have 4 irs in them and they really put out some light Most are 4mm however so that may not work for everyone.

The cheap chinese dahua ipc-hfw4431r-z work well too. The ir spread isnt as good but for $75 they are 2.8-12mm and work great with blue iris.

Just throwing this out there.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The i8 version of that 4mm camera has twice as many LEDs in it.