Should I place a camera(Dahua 5442 starlight) in the corner(1 in picture) or to the left after the light(2 in picture)

jelf4352

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Anyone have an opinion? I’m hesitant to place it in 1 because I think the light may impact the video quality, thus place it in spot 2. Or are both spots fine? I plan to point to the left black gate (the entrance to the front door). Let me know.

Thanks,

Attachments

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone have an opinion? I’m hesitant to place it in 1 because I think the light may impact the video quality, thus place it in spot 2. Or are both spots fine? I plan to point to the left black gate (the entrance to the front door). Let me know.

Thanks,
Hi Jeft4352

seems like 2 good options you are looking at for the position .. now it's time to setup a test rig and check .. remember, test before drilling ..

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Looks like you already have a camera above the door.
Does that not cover this area already?

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
I would wire it up externally and test, just to be sure, but if you are wanting to cover the black gate I would think 2 would be more ideal. It will get you closer to the gate and you're also not looking across the light fixture.

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yea true, I want to have that one point down at the person more and the other cover the gate area
Put the new camera above the door next to the other one.
I think your view of the gate from position 1 and 2 is going to be impacted a lot by the tree growing next to the gate.
Above the door or next to it will be less of an acute angle too. You will have a more front on view.

Edit: you could even use position 1 to watch over your front door and the over door camera to watch your gate.

JDreaming

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I think your view of the gate from position 1 and 2 is going to be impacted a lot by the tree growing next to the gate.
Above the door or next to it will be less of an acute angle too. You will have a more front on view.

Edit: you could even use position 1 to watch over your front door and the over door camera to watch your gate.
+1, I like this set up more.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I think you need two cameras. One close to position one to watch the gate area, then another at the left end of that building looking back towards the door at position 3. The camera above the door needs to be reworked like you stated.

jelf4352

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

I setup according to your edit and love the way it looks and the camera angles. Thanks for the advice!

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
I think you need 3 cameras as the lights and lens flare / dazzle / reflection may be an issue if you start putting a camera in the corner or on the house wall by the light.

Personally, I think this is one instance where a doorbell camera might be a really good idea.

This is where I would consider placing them and why:

The gate camera I'd have a longer focal length on to get a tightish crop and less of an overview. I'd point it up so coverage starts from the furniture outwards. I'm guessing 6mm but would probably consider a camera such as a 5442 with variable zoom to allow precise adjustment.

I'd leave overview and general protection to the garage camera which should capture all the windows, door and most of the patio, and close face to the doorbell / gate cameras. Just make sure you get a good doorbell camera.I think a couple have been recommended onm here in the past.

My Opinion.jpg

This is as best as I can visualise it in 2D.

My Opinion 2.jpg

Others opinions may vary or be better.

Last edited:

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
If you can penetrate the stucco wall and pull some cable, put
a cam under the light fixture in the garage and under one of the door lights.