Should i renew Blue Iris or move to Scrypted?

lane777smith

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've come to a time where i need to decide do I renew my Blue Iris license or do I jump ship and stay with Scrypted NVR. I'm looking for feedback for anyone who's been in the same boat. Thanks.

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As you don't really need to renew your license and can stay on BI on your current version you are on, then give Scrypted a go and let us know how it went for you. I've played around with many CCTV solutions purely for knowledge and to better myself but BI always seems to be the winner.
Maybe you could document your experience.

lane777smith

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As you don't really need to renew your license and can stay on BI on your current version you are on, then give Scrypted a go and let us know how it went for you. I've played around with many CCTV solutions purely for knowledge and to better myself but BI always seems to be the winner.
Maybe you could document your experience.
I've been running Scrypted NVR for several months now and to be honest, it's quite an impressive NVR solution with object detection built in. the iOS app is very clean and sharper looking than the BlueIris app, by far. I'm about 80% sure i'll stay with it. The developer is actively working on it, making performance improvements and adding features all the time. I'm mainly just wondering what other folks think between the two solutions.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Out of curiosity I visited the Scrypted site, specifically the Windows installation. It may run like a Swiss watch after installation but the steps to accomplish that are not for the faint of heart, IMO. Unless I overlooked one, I found not a single mention of the word "Dahua" in the "Camera Buyer's Guide".

Best wishes in your evaluation, @lane777smith ...... you're a more courageous and driven person than me....I'll sit here ignorant and lazy, but happy, with my Blue Iris....for now. :cool:

(But I hope to read about your experiences and comparisons here!).

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've been running Scrypted NVR for several months now and to be honest, it's quite an impressive NVR solution with object detection built in. the iOS app is very clean and sharper looking than the BlueIris app, by far. I'm about 80% sure i'll stay with it. The developer is actively working on it, making performance improvements and adding features all the time. I'm mainly just wondering what other folks think between the two solutions.
Sounds good, if you can send some videos or documentation of your experience that would be useful for others and myself, I love to learn and I'm not basis to one solution just the best and at the moment I haven't found anything better than BI but like I said before I'm open to move if the move is better. We could even have a new sticky

lane777smith

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Out of curiosity I visited the Scrypted site, specifically the Windows installation. It may run like a Swiss watch after installation but the steps to accomplish that are not for the faint of heart, IMO. Unless I overlooked one, I found not a single mention of the word "Dahua" in the "Camera Buyer's Guide".

Best wishes in your evaluation, @lane777smith ...... you're a more courageous and driven person than me....I'll sit here ignorant and lazy, but happy, with my Blue Iris....for now. :cool:

(But I hope to read about your experiences and comparisons here!).

it supports any ONVIF compliant camera, just like Blue Iris. The developer has just recently released an Electron build that installs on Windows natively. It's a simple install, then it automatically detects any ONVIF camera on your network. Enter the username/passowrd for the cameras and it's done.

Release v0.39.1 · koush/nvr.scrypted.app · GitHub BlueIris, in my opinion, has quite the learning curve to operate, as it overwhelms you with options. Scrypted is more streamlined, and clean. you can see a live demo here from the developer. Scrypted Network Video Recorder

lane777smith

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sounds good, if you can send some videos or documentation of your experience that would be useful for others and myself, I love to learn and I'm not basis to one solution just the best and at the moment I haven't found anything better than BI but like I said before I'm open to move if the move is better. We could even have a new sticky

There's a free 2 day demo ($40 a year for 4 cameras) If you have a windows machine to test from, go to Release v0.39.1 · koush/nvr.scrypted.app · GitHub and download/install the Scrypted-0.39.1.Setup.exe installer.

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
it supports any ONVIF compliant camera, just like Blue Iris. The developer has just recently released an Electron build that installs on Windows natively. It's a simple install, then it automatically detects any ONVIF camera on your network. Enter the username/passowrd for the cameras and it's done.
Thanks for the info! :cool:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
So for me it would be $90 + 20% vat on top each year.

Does make you wonder how Ken gets by with just an initial purchase and then a possible $30 for support renewal?
I suspect it is because Blue Iris has been building a customer base for over 20 years (so there are many customers) and almost certainly has vastly lower operating costs than Scrypted NVR (which as I understand it uses a cloud portal for remote access by default).

CrazyAsYou

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I suspect it is because Blue Iris has been building a customer base for over 20 years (so there are many customers) and almost certainly has vastly lower operating costs than Scrypted NVR (which as I understand it uses a cloud portal for remote access by default).
like anything in life, there is also the concept of stack it high and sell it cheap, providing Ken can keep his costs low he can sell it cheap, selling cheap often means a larger user base and people are more inclided to renew each year and stick with BI, at lot of the time the cheaper option generates more profit - think about cars who makes more money Ford or Ferrari?

kjinxx2

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
like anything in life, there is also the concept of stack it high and sell it cheap, providing Ken can keep his costs low he can sell it cheap, selling cheap often means a larger user base and people are more inclided to renew each year and stick with BI, at lot of the time the cheaper option generates more profit - think about cars who makes more money Ford or Ferrari?
Ahh yes good old elasticity of demand!