Shutter, Gain why two boxes in manual mode? Need advice

ccater1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Trying to wrap my head around the various picture settings in manual mode.

Camera is Dahua IPC-HFW5231E-Z12E. I'm logged into the camera directly with my laptop adjusting these settings. Please see picture of screen attached.

When 'customized range' is selected for shutter speed, why are there two boxes to enter the desired shutter speed?

Gain is my ISO setting, correct? But again, why are there two boxes when it seems you only need to select one value between 0 and 100?

Iris is my exposure setting, correct?

It looks like Grade can be adjusted to help reduce noise.

Thanks

Attachments

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
When 'customized range' is selected for shutter speed, why are there two boxes to enter the desired shutter speed?
There is a pair for range that I can see for shutter speed.
Gain is my ISO setting, correct?
Yes.
Iris is my exposure setting, correct?
Assuming that the camera has an electronic iris (most don't), this would adjust the diameter of the aperture in the lens.
Which clearly is linked to what you'd need to set for shutter time and gain for the desired end result.

ccater1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Here's what I'm having trouble wrapping my head around.

I can't comprehend why there are two value boxes for setting shutter and gain. My thought process is that entering set values into two separate value boxes would provide a value range. I have always thought that setting a manual shutter speed meant that it would hold one, predefined speed. So say a shutter speed value of 1/2000 is selected under shutter priority mode. That means the shutter speed is 1/2000 of a second, correct? There is no range of 1/2000 of a second because it's exactly 1/2000th of a second (if I'm understanding correctly).

Say we select 'customized range' for shutter speed. That allows a value of 0-333.33ms to be entered into the boxes directly under the customized range drop down menu. If I'm understanding correctly, this means that if I were to enter a value of 1 into the left box, and a value of 3 into the right box, this would set a range of shutter speed between 1ms and 3 ms. Does this mean that the camera will determine and execute the shutter speed within the user specified range? I hope I'm explaining my question in a way that my question is understood; sometimes I have trouble doing that. I have very little experience adjusting settings in manual mode, so I'm sure there's something that I don't understand. Hoping someone can explain the whys and hows so I can wrap my head around it and actually understand what I'm trying to use.

Thanks

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If I'm understanding correctly, this means that if I were to enter a value of 1 into the left box, and a value of 3 into the right box, this would set a range of shutter speed between 1ms and 3 ms. Does this mean that the camera will determine and execute the shutter speed within the user specified range?
Yes, I believe so.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I recall playing with that and set 2.3 in the first box and that automatically populated the second box with the same value.... Perhaps it allows "fine tuning" as you dont have that range of granular settings in the default drop down menu..