Shutting down NVR

fatpanda

n3wb
Reaction score
I have the Hikvision DS-7608NI-E2 NVR, when accessing the NVR via a monitor such as a TV there is an onscreen button to shut down the NVR, much like shutting down your PC or laptop. Is there such a way to shut down the NVR from your PC when it is connected to your network or is it a matter of just pressing the switch on the rear.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have the Hikvision DS-7608NI-E2 NVR, when accessing the NVR via a monitor such as a TV there is an onscreen button to shut down the NVR, much like shutting down your PC or laptop. Is there such a way to shut down the NVR from your PC when it is connected to your network or is it a matter of just pressing the switch on the rear.
I don't have a NVR of any brand (I'm a Blue Iris user on a PC) and cannot locate any info online that may help but I do have one question:

If you access the NVR's embedded webGUI using Internet Explorer 11 and the NVR's LAN IP address on a PC connected to the same LAN are there any pages available that replicate that soft shutdown button that you viewed on the monitor directly connected to the NVR?

EDIT: I would be surprised if there was, as the availability of such a function could be a security issue.

Last edited:

fatpanda

n3wb
Reaction score
If you access the NVR's embedded webGUI using Internet Explorer 11 and the NVR's LAN IP address on a PC conncetd to the same LAN are there any pages available that replicate that soft shutdown button that you viewed on the monitor directly connected to the NVR?
Unsure how I would access the NVR's embedded webGUI when connected to my PC via network cable, would I need to connect via HDMI cable as i do when viewing the embedded webGUI on the TV.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, makes sense that it would not for security reasons (as noted in my later EDIT).
But it would still need an an authenticated admin logon.
Which could do lots more subtle and less obvious things than just shut it down.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
What it be possible to telnet into the NVR to shut it down,
Not with even fairly old firmware.
Telnet was removed ages ago, but even where SSH is available it's dropped in to the 'psh' protected shell, which despite having quite a lot of device-oriented commands (many of which don't work anyway) doesn't have a shutdown facility as far as I've seen.
Access to a Hikvision response key generator can allow an exit from psh into 'debug' mode, the Linux shell, from which the system could be stopped.

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
A Dahua NVR I have has a shutdown option in 'System' from the main menu.
There doesn't seem to be much need in shutting it down though, it's handled perfectly fine when unplugged.

As for Hikvision; there must be something.... but they could of been a step ahead of Dahua and realised there is no point.