Sign that reads, "No Loitering, and we'll throw away all your crap?"

TheWaterbug

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The good news is that I've moved my business into a newer building. The bad news is that there are a few folks living in the parking lot behind the building. I've notified the landlord, but I also want to embark on some deterrence. This guy likes to lean his bicycle against my building and plug his phone into the AC outlet that's back there:

I'm going to make that outlet switched from the inside, so we only turn it on when we want to use it, but I also want to put up some signs that say, in no particular order:
  1. No loitering
  2. You're being recorded (required in state of CA if you record audio, which I do)
  3. If you leave your crap on my private property, I will remove it and discard it
I can find signs that say the first 2. Anyone know of a sign that says #3?

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Depends on how much you want to spend for the sign? Signs.com has custom signs available. I would imagine your local printing press store would be able to make up any kind of sign you require as well.

TheWaterbug

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ah, it looks like a custom sign is the way to go. I didn't realize they were so widely available and generally affordable. Will order and update y'all.

Regarding the AC outlet and the loiterer's crap, we have enough lawyers here in CA that I want to make sure I'm legally protected before I do anything. So I will warn them of what's going to happen before it happens.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Suggest an indicator switch with a light that shows it's on or a timer to turn it off automatically.

Reaction score
I'm going to make that outlet switched from the inside, so we only turn it on when we want to use it,
When I lived in Uptown New Orleans back in the 1980's, there was a 'shade tree mechanic' that used my outlet at my garage door for his power tools. I lived on a corner and the garage had a six-foot-long driveway on the side street. He would park the car he was working on right there and plug in. He was always gone by the time I came home. I did not even know he was doing this and always wondered how oil and other crap was always there.

One day I had to go to a wellsite, so I came home from work to change at about noon. Saw the car parked there and all of the tools and a chop saw plugged in. So I went into the garage and disconnected the outlet. When I came back from the wellsite, I put it on a switch. One of my neighbors told me he was pissed that I turned off the electricity. I asked him how long he thought that guy had been using my driveway and he said most everyday for over a year.

Never had any more oil or other crap on the side of the house after that. I guess the guy found another place to work.

Inkedscn526_LI.jpg

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
At one of our office sites, we had a guy run conduit underground and up into the bottom of an outlet box.
It was really hid. He was running all sorts of things off of it including an air conditioner.
I figured it out when we lost power and I was running the place off of a generator.
I gave it a high resistance on the hot wire. (wired a light bulb in series) :D
He tried for a long time to make it work, he even replaced the wire, but that outlet would never work right. :cool: