Signal Drop

Promod117

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Okay network experts, I need your help.....

I have a strange occurrence that I haven't been able to figure out.

I have one camera that continues to momentarily drop out in Blue Iris (5.8.8.12. (It has done this in multiple version.)) It comes right back up after a few seconds. Does not seem to drop out in Live view of the cameras app. (shrubs still moving when windy)

This is a new Dahua from Andy's store. (I don't think it is the camera) I previously had a Hik in that location and it would run for awhile and then lock up requiring a hard reset.

Camera is plugged into a PoE switch. (Maybe PoE+, I'll have to look again) It also has 4 other cameras plus a Smart TV. None of the other cameras act like this..

The TV, on the other hand, will flash a message indicating it is dropping the Ethernet connection and just as quick, reconnects. Does not effect streaming.

Both cables run through the same wall, same hole, into my attached garage attic.

When the Hik was in that location, (installed the IPC-T22IR-ZAS-S3 last night), I replaced the cable (only for the camera) and replaced the ends. Cables always test good.

I'm sort of at a loss. EMI has crossed my mind but it seems too random. May be worth trying a shielded cable to know for sure.

Your thoughts and input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The TV buffers, whereas these cameras do not, that is why the TV doesn't lose connection.

Are your cameras going thru the router to get to BI? In other words, if you unplug your router, does your camera feed still get to BI? If the answer is NO you lose your cameras, then that is the problem. The router isn't designed for this kind of non-stop traffic and adding that one more camera makes it evident.

Promod117

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What are the camera settings for:
  • Encode mode - Direct to disk
  • Resolution - 2MP
  • Frame rate (FPS) - 20
  • Bit rate type
  • Bit rate

I'll have to get back on the bit rate.......

Promod117

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The TV buffers, whereas these cameras do not, that is why the TV doesn't lose connection.

Are your cameras going thru the router to get to BI? In other words, if you unplug your router, does your camera feed still get to BI? If the answer is NO you lose your cameras, then that is the problem. The router isn't designed for this kind of non-stop traffic and adding that one more camera makes it evident.
Interesting..... I'm pretty sure the router is only used for internet and WiFi. Router plugs into the main switch. I'll verify that tonight. Seems odd, if that were the case, that it would know which location to effect. Wouldn't that be random? And wouldn't I also see the drop out in IP Camera (Dahua software)?
Certainly worth looking at tonight.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sometimes is just affects the last one added.

But since it has happened to two different cameras on the same line AND you said the TV throws an error, I am leaning towards an networking configuration issue instead of the actual ethernet cable. Unless it is the common cable between the switch to the router.

Is your BI computer connected to the same switch as the cameras?

It is a good test to see if you unplug the router if all the camera feeds still make it to BI.

We had someone here once that was adamant his networking topology wasn't the issue since he had the cameras and BI computer connected to the same switch.

Low and behold when he finally did what we suggested and unplugged his router, he found that the BI computer lost the camera feeds. Some routers will still try to route. It is why we dual NIC or VLAN or cameras separate from the rest of the system.

Promod117

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sometimes is just affects the last one added.

But since it has happened to two different cameras on the same line AND you said the TV throws an error, I am leaning towards an networking configuration issue instead of the actual ethernet cable. Unless it is the common cable between the switch to the router.

Is your BI computer connected to the same switch as the cameras?

It is a good test to see if you unplug the router if all the camera feeds still make it to BI.

We had someone here once that was adamant his networking topology wasn't the issue since he had the cameras and BI computer connected to the same switch.

Low and behold when he finally did what we suggested and unplugged his router, he found that the BI computer lost the camera feeds. Some routers will still try to route. It is why we dual NIC or VLAN or cameras separate from the rest of the system.
Currently, the 5 cameras and TV are connected to a switch in the garage attic. From there is a single lead feeding to the main switch in my basement/office. Connected to the main switch is Router, Printer, PCs and a couple other switches (at least one, maybe 2 or 3 LOL). Blue iris currently has 7 cams, all 2MP/20FPS on a more than sufficient (I think) Windows10 PC. It has had 10 cams connected previously without any issues (other than this one anomaly (or issues I've been able to rectify.))
The current PC does have dual LAN. Just haven't had the time to learn how to configure it with the other 17 million irons in the fire!

Appreciate the input!

Promod117

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What are the camera settings for:
  • Encode mode - H.265
  • Resolution - 1920 x 1080
  • Frame rate (FPS) - 20
  • Bit rate type - CBR
  • Bit rate - 1536 Kb/S
Other than the Frame Rate, these are all defaults.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
WOW - then the next thing to consider is the quality of the switch. Cheap no-name can be problematic. Or maybe you are approaching the power limit of the POE switch.

What make/model is the switch and make/model of the devices connected to it?

Promod117

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
WOW - then the next thing to consider is the quality of the switch. Cheap no-name can be problematic. Or maybe you are approaching the power limit of the POE switch.

What make/model is the switch and make/model of the devices connected to it?
That group of cameras run into a Netgear GS108PP which feeds into a Trendnet TEG-S16D which feeds my rack's Netgear GS324TP. The Trendnet currently is the main switch that all feed into.

Interesting occurrence this morning....... Port 1(feed from Trendnet) on the GS324TP just turned itself off. Couldn't remember the password so it locked me out! Power cycle brought it back. This happened once before, about a year ago. Was able to log on and turn back on.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well unless you have all PTZs, that should be enough to power your 4 cameras connected to it.

I hate to say it, but with something like a port turning itself off be a sign of being hacked? Or is it a sign the component is failing and the extra camera is enough to show it an issue?

Promod117

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well unless you have all PTZs, that should be enough to power your 4 cameras connected to it.

I hate to say it, but with something like a port turning itself off be a sign of being hacked? Or is it a sign the component is failing and the extra camera is enough to show it an issue?
The hacking part occurred to me the first time.. Changed the password and forgot to write it down!

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
I would try to keep this simple and power only this specific camera with a POE injector.

If the camera operates fine then it’s the switch / port. If the camera behaves the same way it’s the camera whether it be set incorrectly, firmware, etc.

Resetting the camera to a default state will at least remove one possible area of concern.

If you don’t have another power source you can just unplug everything and leave that single camera connected. If it acts the same way move it to another port on the switch.

If the problem is corrected it’s a bad port on the switch. If the problem continues on another port with no other camera connected there’s a problem with the camera.

NOTE: I’m going to assume you have no IP conflicts if Static Addressing is in place vs DHCP MAC Reservation. If in doubt validate there are no duplicate IP Addresses present.

Promod117

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would try to keep this simple and power only this specific camera with a POE injector.

If the camera operates fine then it’s the switch / port. If the camera behaves the same way it’s the camera whether it be set incorrectly, firmware, etc.

Resetting the camera to a default state will at least remove one possible area of concern.

If you don’t have another power source you can just unplug everything and leave that single camera connected. If it acts the same way move it to another port on the switch.

If the problem is corrected it’s a bad port on the switch. If the problem continues on another port with no other camera connected there’s a problem with the camera.

NOTE: I’m going to assume you have no IP conflicts if Static Addressing is in place vs DHCP MAC Reservation. If in doubt validate there are no duplicate IP Addresses present.
You raise a couple of interesting points. I too thought of the address conflict. Advanced Port Scanner did not show anything but I change the IP just to see......

What I find interesting is that the glitch is noticed or picked up in Blue Iris, YET, the camera's live view does not drop the connection...... and the TV shows a similar event.

I'm going to try unplugging the other cameras and see what it does over the weekend....

I'll report back.....

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
You raise a couple of interesting points. I too thought of the address conflict. Advanced Port Scanner did not show anything but I change the IP just to see......

What I find interesting is that the glitch is noticed or picked up in Blue Iris, YET, the camera's live view does not drop the connection...... and the TV shows a similar event.

I'm going to try unplugging the other cameras and see what it does over the weekend....

I'll report back.....
Looking forward to reading what you observe. As noted up above its following KISS when ever possible and making small changes to see the results.

Keep in mind the camera should be hard reset as a first step. Doing so insures the camera is in a default OEM state and clears any possible bad user defined settings.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've had a flaky "green" switch which did this to me .. would randomly power down ports to save electricity .. drove me nuts attempting to figure out the issue as when I power cycled the switch everything appeared OK.. until sometime again in the future when I started again to randomly power down a port or 2 .. of course the switch probably was doing this based on something logical to itself but seemed random to me.