Simple App with maybe kiosk mode?

MrGlasspoole

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is there a simple App with maybe some kind of kiosk mode?

In TinyCam or the Bi App there are to many options or buttons you can click.
If you have a tablet wall mounted and there is a wife or kids in the house...
I think the only thing that should work is viewing all cams at the same time, making them full screen on touch and going back.

Vettester

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm using a wall mounted iPad running the BI app. I have a group setup that cycles through my outdoor cameras. When motion is detected by one of the cameras the focus goes to that specific camera.

IMG_2533.JPG

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
And more Blue Iris tips that may help with your kiosk-type display:

The URL for starting Blue Iris webserver in your browser maximized is (thanks to @Dasstrum via @VorlonFrog ):

Code:
http://BlueIris-LAN-IP:BI-PORT/ui3.htm?maximize=1
And if you don't want to be required to put in a username and password, you can go to BI's 'Options', 'Users' and enable the 'Anonymous' user. You can further modify the 'anonymous' user to be able to view clips AND change settings (as Admin).

Of course, it's a good idea to have user 'Anonymous' user checked for 'LAN only'.

MrGlasspoole

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@Vettester, what happens when 2 cams detect motion?
Also people can go to the BI app settings - or I'm missing something?

@TonyR, i was more looking for a solution without BI so that i can use the streams directly from the cams (no additional stress on the BI server).
Also i guess a app can better use the GPU then a browser?

I have a RPi 3 where i play around and view 4 cams. But that only makes sense if you want a 19" and up display.
The RPi's GPU is not the greatest compared to a cheap tablet and small displays are expensive.
A 100€ tablet has more power, you get a touch display and its all in one package.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If any user is NOT ticked for "Administrator" , even the "anonymous" user, they cannot change any settings without admin credentials.

@TonyR, i was more looking for a solution without BI so that i can use the streams directly from the cams (no additional stress on the BI server).
Also i guess a app can better use the GPU then a browser?
Perhaps @bp2008 can answer that. If I open Safari on my iPad to the URL I posted my BI server's CPU risers only 5% and it's a lowly i5-2320 @ 3 GHz with 6GB RAM. That's 6 cameras, full screen @ 15 FPS.

A 100€ tablet has more power, you get a touch display and its all in one package.
Which is why I use an old iPad.

And I understand about the wife and kids. It's been a long time since mine was little (over 30 years) but do recall having to enforce the "do not touch" rule on more than one occasion and it finally took hold. Now the wife on the other hand..... :rolleyes:

Vettester

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@Vettester, what happens when 2 cams detect motion?
Whichever camera detects motion first takes precedence. You can also setup guided access on an iPad to restrict access to the BI app settings.

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm using a wall mounted iPad running the BI app. I have a group setup that cycles through my outdoor cameras. When motion is detected by one of the cameras the focus goes to that specific camera.

View attachment 36353
Running power thru old cat5 phone line to a Poe splitter to micro USB to power 10" tablet

Attachments

MrGlasspoole

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I can't figure out that anonymous user thing.

In the web server settings i have Non-LAN only.
There i did put in something that does not exist and then was getting a anonymous user in the user settings.
This one is enabled and set to "LAN only" but i still get the login page?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Insure under "BI options", "users", you have "anonymous" checked. On your LAN, if you set it up as in post #3 with "LAN only" checked, no login credentials required:

BI_options-users-anonym.jpg

MrGlasspoole

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I did install Android on a Odroid C2 and if i open UI3 there in Bromite (Chrome) i'm not ask for login credentials.
On my workstation i'm always ask in Iridium (Chrome) and Pale Moon. Sure i tried deleting the cache, cookies and history.

MrGlasspoole

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@TonyR, what kind of iPad is that that you use?
I want to get an idea how many cams can be shown at the same time on what resolution/fps.

Do USB-Ethernet adapters work on iPads?
I use them on my Android devices...

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@TonyR, what kind of iPad is that that you use?
iPad 4th gen (Dec. 2012)

@TonyR
I want to get an idea how many cams can be shown at the same time on what resolution/fps.
My iPad's on Wi-Fi; 2 cams @ 1080p, 3 @ 720p, all at 10fps.

@TonyR

Do USB-Ethernet adapters work on iPads?
I use them on my Android devices...
I don't own one, I do see a Lighting to Ethernet & USB combo for $26, is rated 3-1/2 stars out of 5 here.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

MrGlasspoole

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You can "pin" apps on android so a code is required to switch out of them.