Simple Dahua bullet cam 50mm vari-focal mod longe range zoom

clacks

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As creamridge found out, definitely not all Dahua's use m12 mounts so you'll need to do some research.

As noted above, the lens does have some blurring around the edges so I guess it comes down to budget and area of interest. If it's small enough in the middle maybe OK but probably a better quality lens would do an 8mp more justice.

I'm not sure what options and how they scale in price with lens however.

clacks

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've turned my varifocal mod down another street that is longer and almost straight on to the camera and during the day I'm at a pretty consistent 107m (356 feet) extreme range a full plate can be read in the one frame.

I'll do the same and report back with a night shot max range but part of my eave is in frame so it washes out with IR.

Update: I don't know if it is the eave in my frame or a slightly offset angle to headlight is better than straight on but the other setup got me further night plate reads so 80m (266 feet) is my best night result.

LongRoadA.PNG

Last edited:

Bitslizer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@clacks can you give a bit more detail on how to remove the faceplate? I don't know where to press for the tabs, actually trying to open an amcrest 2496 but since they are both Dahua I'm hoping it is the same mechanism

clacks

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sorry I missed this and guessing you have it sorted but it was just pressing in that tab and levering it (using the blue plastic tool that comes with mobile phone removal kits) that you see in the first pic under my comment"
"1) Remove the face plate (Just by pressing a tab under the face) and then the 4 screws on the housing."

Was quite straight forward on mine so maybe they differ in construction?

TheSwede

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Not Dahua, but a good start for DIY.
I'v tried these with good result, very good nightvision, very sensitive.
Good seller with a LOT of different choices lens/gang/housing/POE but you must know what you want.
You could chose lens, M12 or CS mount, POE or not. They have a good manual lens 5-100mm 1,8.
With "Cameramount" for indoor or protected outdoor use.

Note, stop them in the firewall as they have a Chinese P2P.

1616151349782.png