Simple "What is Blue Iris?" entry?

lakeguy55

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, I am admittedly a noob but I've been lurking on this site for a while now. I've read the IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes, visited the Blue Iris Wiki pages, and tried to read many of the basic intro treads found here. So, it's entirely possible that I've missed it. But as a noob, I'd like to identify a possible oversight that may not be seen by those who have been involved for a long time and for whom much of this is second nature.

It seems like the Blue Iris Wiki is missing a basic, introductory paragraph or two on what exactly Blue Iris is, and why I'd want to use it. Going to the Wiki shows the tools available, a wealth of info on how to set it up, etc. But for a noob, there doesn't seem to be an abstract or brief intro.

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Blue Iris is a Video Management Software that runs on a Windows based computer. It is used to record cameras, such as IP cameras.

It typically is much less expensive than an NVR, get's updated frequently (it was updated today - update bot), has a ton of features and is much more user friendly.

Look around the forum, there is lots of good info here.

lakeguy55

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks Mike, I appreciate the response. I had figured out much of that from a Google search and further reading. I was just trying to point out it might be helpful to include something like your statement above on the Blue Iris Wiki or the Cliff Notes.