Six core cable to cat5e will that work??

Scoobyzak

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,i have s six core cable that i would like to use for a HIKVISION DS-2CD2342WD-I was just wondering if that would work.dont wont to have to run another cable through.

Are all the 8 wires used in a cat5e cable.??

Does anybody have a wireing diagram??

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,i have s six core cable
Does it have an Ethernet category rating?
Does it consist of twisted pairs?
Even if it did - if ever you wanted to use PoE via the cable, or use it as an uplink to a gigabit switch for more cameras, it would not work.
Are all the 8 wires used in a cat5e cable.??
Wikipedia is a helpful source of info.
Fast Ethernet (10/100Mbps) uses 2 pairs, Gigabit uses 4 pairs, PoE uses 4 pairs.

copex

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
you would have to power the camera locally (using 12v) ie no POE, you will need to connect the orange and green pairs on the cat5, depending on type of the 6 core cable and the length of the run will depend if it will work/how well it will work.

it is strongly recommended the full run is done using cat5/6

will it work possibly is the answerer :)

https://www.iplocation.net/rj45-wiring
http://pinoutsguide.com/Net/poe_pinout.shtml

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
6 core is not twisted pair. It might work for very short cable, but I wouldn't try it... pull new cat5e or cat6.

and btw, Mode A PoE uses only 2 pairs (power over the same 4 wires as data for 10/100Mb),
which is why you can use ethernet combiner/splitters even with a PoE switch...

Scoobyzak

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks guys for your replies.

The cable was given to buy my alarm installer who said this is what they use on cctv.

The rest of the house is wired using cat5 just 1 camera i used this cable

Ive added a pic of what i tryed doing using a diagram from the Internet but know joy.

Attachments

badmannen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
what a beauty

Sent from my One Plus X using tapatalk

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
the twisting of the pairs in the cat5/6 wiring is critical for reliable data transfer, it's not just a matter of having enough wires...

Scoobyzak

n3wb
Reaction score
the twisting of the pairs in the cat5/6 wiring is critical for reliable data transfer, it's not just a matter of having enough wires...
Im confused i thought by connecting 1 end of wire to same on other side would work.

Me slightly blonde....

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So does that mean the cable is not suitable to use with ip cameras.
no, its is not. Ethernet cable is twisted in a particular manner to prevent interference. For example, you will find several threads on this forum where users complain that their ethernet run is not working only to learn that the cable was not crimped to a 568 standard...even though the ends match up on both sides, it wont work. Even if it did work you will likely see more than usual levels of packet loss, which is not acceptable for ip cameras. Run a new cable.

Scoobyzak

n3wb
Reaction score
no, its is not. Ethernet cable is twisted in a particular manner to prevent interference. For example, you will find several threads on this forum where users complain that their ethernet run is not working only to learn that the cable was not crimped to a 568 standard...even though the ends match up on both sides, it wont work. Even if it did work you will likely see more than usual levels of packet loss, which is not acceptable for ip cameras. Run a new cable.
Fenderman cool thanks very much got it finally understand gonna run a new cable more hard work...