Skipped frames during playback or fast forward.

luder888

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I used to be able to consistently fast forward my video at 32x or 64x (or even faster) and it didn't skip a frame. But lately I'm getting a lot of skipped frames when I fast forward, sometimes I only get a frame once every minute or a few minutes, and overall even opening clips or playing clips at normal speed seems to be sluggish.

What gives? I did a chkdsk on all my drives and they are all fine. Also the clips themselves are fine as no frames is lost during recording. It's just the playing I'm having issues with.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are you on a local hardwired network ?
Is it on UI3 or in the BI application ?

What is the frame rate and iframe values for the camera you are looking at ?

What is the processor on the BI system.

luder888

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I RDP into my BI server. I have an older Dell Optiplex 990 with a i7 processor with 12 cameras (a mixture of 3MP to 1080P cameras). I think I know the cause of the frame skipping. It might be a drive fragmentation issue. I have a few 3TB drives and I only leave about 50GB of free space on each. When the drives are full I tend to get more skipped frames during playback. Today I added a new 4TB drive and deleted all my clips and I'm so far not running into any frame skipping issues. What do you think is a reasonable amount of free space to leave on a drive to prevent this issue?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I leave at least 15 % free space on the BI file disk. My bi system has multiple disks. The OS and BI are on an SSD. The new BI camera files are written to the NEW folder on a separate 4tb disk. I deleted from the new folder. I use only one folder. I keep my camera file size to 1 hour in size. All cameras are recorded direct to disk. Frame rates are between 10 and 15 per second.