Skipping/Choppy Video, Skipping/Choppy Audio, 27 Cams, i7-8700 3.2GHz, 16GB Ram

fediddy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I was wondering if someone would be willing to look at my setup... I am getting a lot of skipping in my videos and skipping in audio... Can anyone point me to a professional that can login to my system and help me out to properly reconfigure it?

I am using Reolink camera's.. Yes I know, they are not good... It's what I got....

Thank in advance.

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz [8%]
RAM: 10.6G/15.8G
Clips: 20172 files, 48.51T/48.81T
Storage: D: +329.2G, E: +293.1G, C: +138.9G, F: +194.9G, \\VIDEONAS +3.83T
Version: Release 5.3.3.15 x64

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score

If you want to pay someone for help, there's this: Blue Iris Support | IP Cam Talk Store But don't expect any miracles.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
working with reolink cameras is difficult as they are non standard.

You have 27 cameras how are they connected to the network ? How many are wifi and how many are hardwired ?
Please provide a network diagram with connection type, internal IP address, make and model numbers of all devices, this is routers, access points and switches ?

fediddy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
working with reolink cameras is difficult as they are non standard.

You have 27 cameras how are they connected to the network ? How many are wifi and how many are hardwired ?
Please provide a network diagram with connection type, internal IP address, make and model numbers of all devices, this is routers, access points and switches ?
The cameras are hard wired via network cords into two Cisco SF300-24PP 24 port POE+ switches.

The switches are connected together, and one of the switches is connected to a Asus RT-AC56U router.

I have combination of ReoLink RLC-420 and RLC-410S cameras..

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
if the video traffic flows through the router this can cause problems.

Also if the BI disk drive is scanned by a virus protection or the defragmenter this will cause problems.

fediddy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
if the video traffic flows through the router this can cause problems.

Also if the BI disk drive is scanned by a virus protection or the defragmenter this will cause problems.
Are you able to PM me?

fediddy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is this normal? Why are the main stream FPS so much lower then the Substream?

Attachments

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The differences are a result of the crappy firmware Reolink uses. You cannot set them in reality. Reolink decides what it wants to do and does itno matter how youconfigure it. That;s one reason why most people here avoid Reolink.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
@fediddy

This looks suspicious.

Totals: 12702.60 kB/s
1605577226461.png

Your switches have a max speed of 100 Mbps on most of the ports. You said you have one switch connected to the other, and then to your router. Are you using the gigabit uplinks for each of these connections? Are they operating at gigabit speed? You should be able to confirm the link speed by looking in the web interface of each switch. Also check the router's status to see what link speed you've got on each port involved.

As @SouthernYankee pointed out, home routers sometimes choke under a heavy load of LAN traffic. I'm not sure an Asus RT-AC56U would have this problem but it is worth testing without that router in the path.

If you are in fact bottlenecked by a 100 Mbps network interface, that could certainly explain skipping and chopping and the low frame rates in your status window.

fediddy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@fediddy

This looks suspicious.

View attachment 75139

Your switches have a max speed of 100 Mbps on most of the ports. You said you have one switch connected to the other, and then to your router. Are you using the gigabit uplinks for each of these connections? Are they operating at gigabit speed? You should be able to confirm the link speed by looking in the web interface of each switch. Also check the router's status to see what link speed you've got on each port involved.

As @SouthernYankee pointed out, home routers sometimes choke under a heavy load of LAN traffic. I'm not sure an Asus RT-AC56U would have this problem but it is worth testing without that router in the path.

If you are in fact bottlenecked by a 100 Mbps network interface, that could certainly explain skipping and chopping and the low frame rates in your status window.
Thanks.

I’m pretty sure I have the two POE switches connected via the regular ports on them and the the LINK ports.
Also, what bitrate should me camera’s be set too? I have them set to 18fps with a 8192 bitrate and a h.264 profile of Main.

To use the Uplink, do I connect the network cord from one switches Link plug to the other switches link plug?

also, would I connect the router to one of the LINK plugs as well to get internet to the system?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Also, what bitrate should me camera’s be set too? I have them set to 18fps with a 8192 bitrate and a h.264 profile of Main.
That is fine. Should be very good quality. That creates 8 Mbps of traffic per camera.

To use the Uplink, do I connect the network cord from one switches Link plug to the other switches link plug?
Yes. The port layout on this switch (and many others like it) is this:

1605627625927.png

The ports capable of gigabit speed are separate from the main port clusters. You should typically always use gigabit ports when linking switches to other switches, PCs, or routers, but especially if you know that the link will need to carry a lot of data.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
On almost any modern network switch (like your Ciscos) in its default configuration, all the ports are connected internally to all the other ports, so the only difference between the ports is the specific capabilities they offer. e.g. 100 vs 1000 mbps transfer rate or PoE capability. Just because those ports on the right side are called "uplink" ports doesn't make them special; what makes them special is their 1000 Mbps capability.

fediddy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That is fine. Should be very good quality. That creates 8 Mbps of traffic per camera.

Yes. The port layout on this switch (and many others like it) is this:

View attachment 75177

The ports capable of gigabit speed are separate from the main port clusters. You should typically always use gigabit ports when linking switches to other switches, PCs, or routers, but especially if you know that the link will need to carry a lot of data.
mom, that makes sense. So do the switches themselves if the camera’s are connected to the 100mb links have enough juice to sustain the data being pushed to them?
One problem I see is that the computer is connected to the 100mb link, can I connect the computer to the 1gb link since it is not able to receive the data needed or it won’t work that way?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
So do the switches themselves if the camera’s are connected to the 100mb links have enough juice to sustain the data being pushed to them?
Yes

One problem I see is that the computer is connected to the 100mb link
That is a problem!

can I connect the computer to the 1gb link since it is not able to receive the data needed or it won’t work that way?
Yes. The computer absolutely has to be connected to a port capable of 1000 Mbps or else you have exactly the issues you've been having.

fediddy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes

That is a problem!

Yes. The computer absolutely has to be connected to a port capable of 1000 Mbps or else you have exactly the issues you've been having.
Thank You. I will try to reconnect all of this and get back to you!!!!

fediddy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
BLUEIRIS2.jpg

Thank you guys.

Well,, Look what we have here.... I haven't checked to see if the recording are choppy but this looks completely different now... I think to conserve space I need to change the BITRATE back down... What would you guys recommend?

fediddy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@bp2008

So the system is running 100x better... There is no stuttering/choppiness or audio issues... What I do notice is the video picks up motion late. Here is an example. Also, sometimes it is recording and then the people/interaction disappears.... In the clip below, the car appears out of nowhere and is already pulling into the parking spot.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You should be recording continuously on all cameras.
Notice the time skip, this is caused having two motion events. You need to work on your motion detection settings for that camera.