Sky Cam

mudflap5

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
any fisheye is going to be absolutely terrible at night; the apertures in those lenses are teensy tiny.. You'll also want a mechanical iris to protect it from looking directly at the sun most of the day.. If you want to see the stars then you'll want a Starlight, the varifocals have Irises in em, but they are more suited towards Security use and not WebCams so you might not be happy with the white balance/colors in the daytime.

mudflap5

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
As a test, I will point one of my HDW5231R's to the sky and see what it looks like. Not real concerned with daytime viewing, just night time stuff

mudflap5

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That is amazing! Just wish it was a little wider on the low end. May have to get 2 and pano them together. Do you know of any other cams that are of the "ultra starlight" variety that are a little wider?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
because of the larger sensor dont let that 4.1mm fool you, its got an 80 degree FOV.. the Eco Starlights have a 97 degree FOV, thats about as good as your gonna get unless you you get a multi-lens panoramic camera >$600-$2000 but those are not the same big sensors in the Ultra, I dont have much stars in the middle of the city but I could not achieve those results w/an Eco

Last edited:

GFM

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Maybe you are looking for something more astronomical than security-wise? Google "Moonglow" or "Mallincam", they have some interesting models but pricy...

dalepa

Reaction score
My new Dahua SD49225T-HN 25x video cam towards the southern sky, then speed up the results 20x and 100x showing the stars pass across the night sky.. What are the stationary lights? geosynchronous satellites? Interesting. More to come.

mudflap5

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
GFM- Thanks for the suggestion.

dalepa-- Nice vids!

I was looking more to capture clouds and storms. Located in a metro area with lots of light pollution. Maybe a "weather cam" would be a better title to the thread.

Reaction score
Sorry about bumping this old thread, but does anyone know how a panorama camera, (e.g. from Dahua), would work during day? We'd like to capture air traffic (birds) in a remote area :)