Sky Cams

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
I decided to move the conversation from my other thread to here since I think this section is more appropriate.

After the meteorite explosion from the other day I am looking to have a couple cameras to monitor the skies.

I am currently using a spare 4K-T, but am thinking this might be overkill?
  • Is this model preferred because of its low light abilities?
  • Do I need to record in 4K or is 4MP more than sufficient?
  • Would I be equally served with a 5442?
  • Is there any reason to record during the day? (dumb question, I know...)

Here are my current settings:
1682337448966.png

1682337478482.png

1682337516153.png

Is this what most others see who do this? I am assuming the lighted clouds are transferring light pollution from the city that is over that way, even though the sky looks completely dark to the regular eye? Wrong or right, I am just surprised how well it picks up color and the little bit of light coming through the clouds.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You always want to record in native resolution as a downrez could be a mess.

The 5442 is probably ok but since you have a spare 4K/T it lets in so much more light.

Of course you want to record it during the day so you catch things like a plane engine on fire:

1682345432008.png

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm only using the 4K-T because I have it and haven't found a real position for it yet, but didn't know if I would be better/worse with a different model when/if I commit cams to full time use for this.

I sort of figured day time recording to be the case for that, which is why I thought it to be a dumb question, haha.

I am just trying to not kill my storage with something frivolous like this because it's taking up a lot (5gb per hour of footage). When I add more views for 360 coverage it will chew up even more and take away from the things I actually want to be able to review.

I may need to make some adjustments if this is going to be used during the day, the sun is not helping.

Sky 2023-04-24 11.12.09.908 AM.jpg

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You will probably have to make a day profile and drop gain and brightness way down and force a fast shutter.

What about using an AUX folder and just store the skycam video for a few days?

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
You will probably have to make a day profile and drop gain and brightness way down and force a fast shutter.

What about using an AUX folder and just store the skycam video for a few days?
I suppose that's a possibility. I just need to see how large it would be so I know how long I want to keep all of it.