Small form computers

ponyrider127

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I am still looking for a computer for Blue Iris. It seams that most of them that I run across are small form in size and do not have space for another hard drive to be installed. So can you run a external hard drive to a USB 3.0 or do you need USB C to do the job?

Thanks for all the help that I have received from many.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Many have found that a USB cannot keep up. I tried it and it failed within 25 minutes just trying one camera.

If the SFF has an optical disc drive, you can disconnect and remove it to put another HDD in it. That is what I did.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Personally, I avoid most SFF PC's for several reasons:
  • Difficult to add internal drive(s), especially a 3.5" surveillance-rated HDD
  • Power supply is of less capacity, more expensive, harder to find, may be proprietary
  • Internal temps can be higher especially if crowded with more add-ons
  • Special drive trays/mounts hard to find, expensive

I've had better luck with standard mini-towers:
  • More standard parts used
  • More available accessories, mounts, cards, etc.
  • Power supply beefier, cheaper
  • Less heat, more room

The end result for me has been that the mini-towers are more reliable and easier/cheaper to maintain. But even some the newest Dell mini-towers have gone to tiny, non-ATX power supplies so you have to look. That's just my opinion and my experiences...YMMV

ponyrider127

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Many have found that a USB cannot keep up. I tried it and it failed within 25 minutes just trying one camera.

If the SFF has an optical disc drive, you can disconnect and remove it to put another HDD in it. That is what I did.
Do you have to buy a special mount or will it fit into optical disc drive?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It slid right in and I could get two screws into it. Others have used tape LOL. We are not moving these computers around, so they don't need to be completely secure LOL.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Most optical drives in small machines are of the "slim" design and would only fit a 2.5" drive (used for SATA SSDs and laptop HDDs).

5.25" to 3.5" adapter:

1638202272158.png

Slim optical to 2.5" adapter:

1638202304408.png

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FWIW - Dell SFF and other Dell systems all seem to want some special tray .. unlike the typical home built cases I have used and like ..

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
While the smallest form factor computers don't have space for extra drives, there are plenty of mid sized SSF computers that do. I have both a Dell Optiplex 7040 and Lenovo M900 and they both have space for two regular drives in their cases.