Small PoE camera for under a soffit?

signal9

n3wb
Reaction score
Does anyone have any recommendations for a small unobtrusive PoE camera that I could mount under my soffit? I'm not concerned about that great of quality or night vision here as it is not for crime, rather just being able to get a general picture of what is going on during the day, but I want something that is small and not immediately noticeable. Thanks.

signal9

n3wb
Reaction score
Well I don't have a number in mind but not like a big turret. Something where if someone drives up the driveway they wouldn't immediately notice the camera. It doesn't have to be hidden or anything, just not super noticeable.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
If you're not using the junction box I feel the 5442 is not all that obtrusive when attached directly to the soffit. If your house trim is not white you can always paint it to match.

jarrow

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'd recommend a mini wedge dome like a HDBW3541F-AS-M or HDBW3241F-AS-M for better night time quality.
1684332805135.png
They're really small and you can hardly see which way the cam is looking.

Here is it compared to a HDW5442T-ZE (photo courtesy of @zebrock )
1684332880812.png

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd recommend a mini wedge dome like a HDBW3541F-AS-M or HDBW3241F-AS-M for better night time quality.
View attachment 163302
They're really small and you can hardly see which way the cam is looking.

Here is it compared to a HDW5442T-ZE (photo courtesy of @zebrock )
View attachment 163303
I was going to suggest the wedge as well, but having used one I much prefer the image of the 5442s for the small increase in pricing. Also, keep in mind, the varifocal -ZE in the picture is larger than a fixed -AS.

Last edited:

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
+1 for 5442s. I have mine installed under my soffits as well.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Does anyone have any recommendations for a small unobtrusive PoE camera that I could mount under my soffit? I'm not concerned about that great of quality or night vision here as it is not for crime, rather just being able to get a general picture of what is going on during the day, but I want something that is small and not immediately noticeable. Thanks.
How do intend to view and/or record the camera?
Do you have a budget?
What country are you in?

signal9

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions so far, I will look at them.The way we did the ethernet cable it just comes down through a small hole in the soffit but it would not be easy to get behind it again so I think I will need a junction box. So that will add a little height unfortunately. At least the soffit is white so it should match most options.

I've used Blue Iris before so I imagine I would probably use that. No budget really, I probably wouldn't want to spend much more than $200 on one camera. In the US. Thanks.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Get the better camera vs buying by size. You'll be more happy in the end. I'd say less than 10% of people ever notice mine even though some are very obvious. If it blends in somewhat with the color under a soffit, even less.

I swapped one of the "boobie cams" in after having a 5442 at my door for a long time wanting something less obvious. It is (after painting it at least) but I'm kind of sorry that I did as far as lesser performance.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions so far, I will look at them.The way we did the ethernet cable it just comes down through a small hole in the soffit but it would not be easy to get behind it again so I think I will need a junction box. So that will add a little height unfortunately. At least the soffit is white so it should match most options.

I've used Blue Iris before so I imagine I would probably use that. No budget really, I probably wouldn't want to spend much more than $200 on one camera. In the US. Thanks.
I attach my cams right to the soffit at the corners where I have thicker channels coming together. The plastic channels are plenty strong enough on my house there to hold a small camera with three self tapping screws. If I had to mount it away from a corner then I'd have to install a stud as the soffit would sag.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
for the soffit, if you want less people to notice, just paint the camera to match .. @signal9

I do really like the mini-dome wedge cameras at the front door, face level .. and perhaps some places in doors .. otherwise the usual turrets and bullets is what I go for.

Here are my 5442-AS and 3541F-AS-M installed at my front door, for comparison.

View attachment 163307
very nice ..