Small Poe nvr with ssd for vehicle use?

Lance

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thinking about getting a few ip bullets and a small nvr with Poe that has an AC/dc adapter that I can run off my truck 12v. Using a ssd for record and a small monitor. It would be mainly used for 4x4 videos and a car DVR in case of an accident, but I think with the ir and screen it could be handy for backing up at night amongst other things. Plus the footage should rival any of the 1080 car black box cams out there.

any suggestions on brands? Will this even work not hooked up to a router?

frankred

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The NVRs Nelly's sells are pretty small, though I can't say I have looked closely at the size of many products.
However, I might look to solve your problems with different solutions.
You can get el cheapo backup cams online for under $15 and 4" screens for a similar amount. That could be your always on backup cam. You could look for higher resolution options if you wish. I think there were some lcds that could toggle between 2 different inputs.

For 4x4 videos, I would think you would want a go pro.

A dashcam may also help.

backup cam example: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005Q65ZIK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage
4.3" lcd: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005CFLMNC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage
NVR: http://www.nellyssecurity.com/hikvision-7104ni-sl-w-4-channel-mini-wifi-nvr.html (8"x8"x2", uses 12v)

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The biggest issue will be boot time. Also, you cannot use it as a backup camera because of the slight delay..

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
why not dashcams they kinda designed for this..

vehicle is about the harshest environment for electronics, it can get hot enough inside its approaching melting temp of the solder holding everything together..

usually only circuitry designed from the ground up for automotive use has any chance of surviving it for long.. its typically much more robust than consumer electronics, all components are carefully selected to give it a wide operating temperature range.

You can go look at circuit components on sites like DigiKey, you'll find there are automotive grade components that have some extreme tolerances but they cost many times what the popular consumer grade components run. (ie automotive capacitors vs normal cheap ones)

then there are other issues, like lead free solder thats now required can corrode or form crystalline structures that short things out.. and vibrational stresses.. its not a friendly environment.

Last edited by a moderator:

ncwbob

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Check these out on fleabay:

L3 MOBILE VISION FLASHBACK FB04-M POLICE MOBILE AUDIO VIDEO CAMERA RECORDER DVR

I have a pickup with a camper shell, this means I basically have no rear view mirror as I can't really see through the camper shell effectively. I been thinking about a forward and rear camera with small DVR with a 7" LCD display in place of my mirror. The LCD would run full time and the DVR would record full time from both the front and rear facing cam. I would want the front facing cam to be able to pivot so I could, if stopped by the cops pivot it towards the driver side window and record the interaction, hopefully with sound.

Just came across these units and know nothing about them, except it does apparently have multiple camera capability with video out for an LCD. I have a few places I could mount this and run all cables to it, the 2 cams and the LCD monitor.

If you cruse youtube and watch a few dash cam videos you will be quickly convinced that a dash cam is a good thing. Just the other day I was approaching a stop light, it turned yellow, then red and directly across from me a city bus came roaring up under the yellow light and blew right on through the intersection under red light without stopping and interestingly, this was at about 5:30 PM with a ton of traffic. I really wish I had caught that on video.

As I look at this unit I am becoming more interested so I am trying to google up a manual and can't find one. Found a factory website link to a spec sheet but that is about it. Think I might bite on one of these if I can find a manual as this thing seems like the Swiss Army knife of car DVR's, it does everything but without a manual would no doubt be a bit o trouble to figure out.

Bob

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

frankred

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I can't read the labels on mobile, are those standard connectors or proprietary?

ncwbob

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I can't read the labels on mobile, are those standard connectors or ?

There are a bunch more of these i found listed on fleabay and some of their photos are better.

Here is one of the better photos below. Looks proprietary to me.

s-l1600.jpg

If any one is able to find a manual for these please post a link.

Bob

PS... just noticed that when you link to an off site photo this forum downloads it automatically and archives it, this is like the coolest thing I seen in the last few days. I am involved in the website industry and run a few forums and one of my biggest peeves is forums fill of dead photos with pictures of frogs - imageshack, photobucket etc. after looking at the page code I see it is a vbulletin forum, shoulda known they would figure it out. This is the first implementation I have seen. BROVO to the forum owner & admin for implementing this feature.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score

There are a bunch more of these i found listed on fleabay and some of their photos are better.

Here is one of the better photos below. Looks proprietary to me.

View attachment 9195

If any one is able to find a manual for these please post a link.

Bob

PS... just noticed that when you link to an off site photo this forum downloads it automatically and archives it, this is like the coolest thing I seen in the last few days. I am involved in the website industry and run a few forums and one of my biggest peeves is forums fill of dead photos with pictures of frogs - imageshack, photobucket etc. after looking at the page code I see it is a vbulletin forum, shoulda known they would figure it out. This is the first implementation I have seen. BROVO to the forum owner & admin for implementing this feature.

Look like it was made for analog cameras which would be a big step down from a digital dashcam.

I bet if you hunt around on the net some, you probably will find a digital dashcam that allow you to plug in a second external digital camera to it but probably come with a hefty price tag.

Bill

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Here one example of dashcam with several channels - http://www.planethalo.com/products/dash-cam/ph4/

Reason to go with Dashcam is what nary said in his post, they are designed for harsher environment and most have built in stabilizer. I don't think home camera have stabilizer and playback may look like you are in a earthquake all the way.

Bill

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
thats a great point @TechBill, forgot about image stablization.. thats a must, I remember hacking one of the early backup cameras to try to watch a trailer..

guess what, it f'n sucked hah.. when you backup your doing like 2mph, no vibration nice and easy.. at 80mph down the highway with a trailer on the back at night, massive blur like trying to use mirrors on a thumper bike.. only worked to check on trailer when you were on a glass smooth road, those are rare.

alot of the gearheads use head rest mounts to attach a bunch of GoPro's onto to get multiple angles, and image stabilization is key.. dunno why multiple dashcams wouldent work just as well in a fixed install.. yeah you have to consolidate the files by hand, big f'n deal.. get a card reader for your tablet and you can view anything they recorded from anywhere, you cant watch the monitors and drive.

I can only imagine if I attached any of my security cameras to my jeep it would be a broken pile of junk after just a tiny bit of actual work.. and thats just a rec toy not a work vehicle.. and thats the thing about trucks, you buy them to abuse em... well most people do.

Lance

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I can't see those $20 backup cams having any kind of stabilization built in, plus they have horrible resolution. The only legit car nvrs I can find are $1000+, and they are for commercial type use. I figure a couple hundred for a basic nvr, I can open it up and put some epoxy on the components that would vibrate loose, or get some silicon mounts for it. For the cams I can make a foam isolator of some kind, they are already made for outdoor use. Shouldn't have any moving parts if I use the solid state drive. If it doesn't work out, I'm not out too much $

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
$20 backup camera? try $2k head unit with a $600 camera with parking assist but ok..

image stabilization is a software trick, you capture a larger image than you save and edit out the vibration in real time.. IP cameras do not have this, and have no reason to have it.

it wont work out, you can just send your money to me and save your self some time.. I'd like ot buy some dashcams that would work

Lance

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Looks fairly decent here, doesn't say what cam he is using though.

nayr, I wasn't referring to your system, I was referring to the $20 cam on the Amazon link above.