Smaller cameras

twofish

n3wb
Reaction score
I am looking for smaller cameras with AI and good night time (IR) performance. It seems like everything from Dahua is big and bulky. Where I want to mount the camera, a big camera like the B54IR-Z4E-S3 would look horrible.

Does anyone know of anything smaller that still performs pretty good?

Thank you.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
I received one of these in the last Empiretech lottery and am happy with it. Where the Z4E is basically the bullet version of the T54IR-ZE, this is more inline with a fixed bullet version of the T54IR-AS.

@looney2ns did a review on them a little while back.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am looking for smaller cameras with AI and good night time (IR) performance. It seems like everything from Dahua is big and bulky. Where I want to mount the camera, a big camera like the B54IR-Z4E-S3 would look horrible.

Does anyone know of anything smaller that still performs pretty good?

Thank you.
Hi @twofish

What is the functional requirements you are attempting ?

attempting to ID ? Detect ? DORI ?

Where do you want to mount the camera ?

Why does the size of the camera matter ?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What about a turret style like the T54IR-ZE-S3 ?
It has a large sensor for a 4MP camera...having IR is not the only requirement for "good night time performance." If the sensor is too small for a given resolution then any movement at night time, even with IR, can cause the image to blur.

twofish

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi @twofish

What is the functional requirements you are attempting ?

attempting to ID ? Detect ? DORI ?

Where do you want to mount the camera ?

Why does the size of the camera matter ?
I need about 80-95º horizontal view, detect person about 60-80 FT. I would like to mount under soffit on house, but don't really want o some huge camera hanging there.

I like that smaller bullet TonyR linked to, but even that thing would look un-sightly on my house. Its less about the camera being a deterrent for me, and more about covert placement and detection.

twofish

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a couple of these, they are ancient and the SW sucks, but check the size:

I have one mounted on a tree, you can't even tell its there unless there is some glare off lens.

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score

twofish

n3wb
Reaction score
those are kids toys, not real ip cams.
I agree, they are really junk.

But they got a 2MP imager in there with reasonable field of view. That separate box could house all the AI you would ever want. I don't get why smaller size cameras are not built.

Reolink has some smaller ones, but I hear they are not good quality.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have a couple of these, they are ancient and the SW sucks, but check the size:

I have one mounted on a tree, you can't even tell its there unless there is some glare off lens.
I need about 80-95º horizontal view, detect person about 60-80 FT
" .. more about covert placement and detection. "

"I am looking for smaller cameras with AI and good night time (IR) performance. "

So, here's the challenge ..

Better low light cameras = larger sensor size, which means larger optic size required ..

now, you can get a fixed lens .. which will make the camera smaller as a varifocal has more parts ..

So, you have to decide if you want a quality image or a smaller camera basically.

Here btw is a good 4MP 1/1.8" sensor camera with a fixed lens .. I would typically like the 3.6mm lens, right now only the 2.8mm lens is shown in stock
1712692963480.png

Last edited:

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
I agree, they are really junk.

But they got a 2MP imager in there with reasonable field of view. That separate box could house all the AI you would ever want. I don't get why smaller size cameras are not built.

Reolink has some smaller ones, but I hear they are not good quality.
friends dont let friends buy Reolink. (with the exception of the POE doorbell)

twofish

n3wb
Reaction score
A month ago I bought one of the 4k color turrets from Andy's shop, the AI is amazing. I got alerts out of that into MQTT and pushing messages to my phone. If he had smaller camera that was like that (will settle for fixed focus), I'd be all over it. I will probably try that IPC-T54IR-ZE-S3 for another location.

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
mounted under a soffit those are really not that big. they also come in black if you feel that would work out better.

twofish

n3wb
Reaction score
mounted under a soffit those are really not that big. they also come in black if you feel that would work out better.
That is an idea, could even paid to match, there is nothing behind my house but sky (live on a cliff), so even painted its probably gonna be like a wart where I want it.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I installed 4 of these Feb. of 2023 for a friend that wanted small and inexpensive. They're 2MP with a 1/2.7" sensor, have a built-in mic and perform decently at night. They're powered by a TP-LINK POE switch and stream to Blue Iris on a PC. IIRC, the OEM is Raysharp.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You can't have your cake and eat it too.
If you want performance out of a camera, which you will need working at 80ft distance.
This is about as small physical size that a good camera would come in.