Reaction score
I am new to BI and so far have it up and running good
But is there a way to have it make smaller file sizes
I'm at about 16gig a day per camera
Which will only give me about 8 days worth of continuous recording

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What cameras are you using? You can lower your frame rate or bitrate on the camera. Also depending on the format your record to you can change the quality settings in blue iris under the record tab > file format and compression.... I would not do any of these things but rather buy a large drive...storage is cheap. Also you might consider motion detection.

jason.berna

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Agasio 612's
It's a 500 gig drive with 3 cameras 48 gigs per 24 hours for all 3 at 10 frames a sec in the BI recording format
Does that seem right

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, that is about right...that camera (a foscam clone) uses old mjpeg compression which is not very efficient. There is not much you can do but buy more storage. When you buy new cameras buy hikvision or dahua with h.264 compression...they are the same price as the agasio but 100 times better....You can record 3mp in h.264 with less space than your vga 0.3mp camera can in mjpeg. Is there a reason you are not using motion detection?

jason.berna

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I had foscam wireless and got these that are POE cause te have auto brightness which I like
What's a good deceit price poe camera that uses poe for outdoor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
any dahua or hikvision in 2-3MP..

I have 4x 2-3MP@15fps Dahua's recording 24/7 to a 4TB drive; I can fit ~2 weeks.. might upgrade your storage before your cameras, 500GB wont get you very far recording 24/7

jason.berna

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yea I have a 2tb I wanna put In tonight
I just bought a new pc with windows 8 and know nothing about windows 8...I'm a mac guy
I need to figure out how to make restore discs so I can swap drives out

jason.berna

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I couldn't find any recording software like BI
That I actually liked
avaliable for a mac
I'm fine using the pc
It's standalone just for BI
I use vnc to control and monitor it from my mac..lol

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

jason.berna

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok thanks I will
I forget thought what is a wider angle lens
Higher number or lower number

Like 3.6
Is that a wide lens or more zoomed in lena

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The lower the number the wider. So 2.8 will be wide angle and 6mm will be narrower "more zoomed in"
There are other variables so you cant compare different cameras so a 2.8 in one cam may be very close to 4mm in another..but in the same camera 2.8 will be wider than 4.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
if your recording 24/7 you dont really need any recording software IMHO; I just use ftp to send the files to an appleshare.. if I need to review its easy to browse through and find files your looking for; eventully I'll get a dahua nvr so I can have it push videos to mobiles and use the alarm IO's for security sensors but thats about all I need and I should be able to access recordings and such through SmartPSS then.... I guess if I was reviewing footage constantly I could use something a little more streamlined but maby once a week I go back and look for something...

Even if your not recording its great having a native app for viewing; I have all 4 cams up on a dedicated monitor and I can control my PTZ's using less resources than trying to live view 1 camera through a web browser... I was having all kinds of latency issues and bad lag using the browser but none of those with SmartPSS.. its using 45% of one of my 6 cores and is unimpacted when I am doing other things that chew up resources.

I have a strict no-microsoft rule; which forces me to make some sacrifices in this arena.

jason.berna

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So what's wide on the dahua 4300

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Look at the angles of the FOV's in the spec sheets, the widest is usually 2.8 and thats ~90 degree FOV which is good for corners up close, but anything in the distance will be a blur

jason.berna

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok I wish there were better instructions for this
I got a 3tb drive put on
Now the question is do I need to tell BI to go ahead and use the entire drive
Or is there a setting somewhere in it that tells it to only use so much

It's a dedicated pc to BI
so I want it to use the entire 3tb or how're ever much is there after windows it's like 2.7

jason.berna

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
if your recording 24/7 you dont really need any recording software IMHO; I just use ftp to send the files to an appleshare.. if I need to review its easy to browse through and find files your looking for; eventully I'll get a dahua nvr so I can have it push videos to mobiles and use the alarm IO's for security sensors but thats about all I need and I should be able to access recordings and such through SmartPSS then.... I guess if I was reviewing footage constantly I could use something a little more streamlined but maby once a week I go back and look for something...

Even if your not recording its great having a native app for viewing; I have all 4 cams up on a dedicated monitor and I can control my PTZ's using less resources than trying to live view 1 camera through a web browser... I was having all kinds of latency issues and bad lag using the browser but none of those with SmartPSS.. its using 45% of one of my 6 cores and is unimpacted when I am doing other things that chew up resources.

I have a strict no-microsoft rule; which forces me to make some sacrifices in this arena.
Yes I HATE MICROSOFT but I like how BI has the skip to event option
If something happens I don't have to review hours of footage
I can just click to next event

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok I wish there were better instructions for this
I got a 3tb drive put on
Now the question is do I need to tell BI to go ahead and use the entire drive
Or is there a setting somewhere in it that tells it to only use so much

It's a dedicated pc to BI
so I want it to use the entire 3tb or how're ever much is there after windows it's like 2.7

options > clips and archiving...uncheck limit clip age, and make sure the combination of your new, stored and alerts folder is less than the total space on drive...its a good idea to leave a some free space...like 100 gig or so...dont use the recycle bin option..also you dont really need to use the stored folder. Just use the new folder and select the delete option (so it deletes after its full)

jason.berna

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok thanks
The new folder is which is currently recording
And stored is where it puts it after it is done recoding
Correct

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
not really, even old files stay in the "new" folder until its moved or deleted. You can just leave all the recordings in the new folder if you want and set it to delete after its full instead of moving to the stored folder first...or you can move them to stored..its really doesn't matter...it will have the same effect.