Smart External IR

LittleScoobyMaster

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I notice many of the Dahua cameras have smart ir that changes the intensity of the ir leds as objects come closer to the camera. Is there a low cost external IR illuminator that does the same thing? (for people who like to keep their cameras inside the house pointing out windows).

Most of the external ir I use is just the regular cheap stuff that keeps the same brightness and causes a lot of washout as objects become close to the cameras.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I notice many of the Dahua cameras have smart ir that changes the intensity of the ir leds as objects come closer to the camera. Is there a low cost external IR illuminator that does the same thing? (for people who like to keep their cameras inside the house pointing out windows).

Most of the external ir I use is just the regular cheap stuff that keeps the same brightness and causes a lot of washout as objects become close to the cameras.
That would require the IR illuminator to have a camera...if you are mounting an illuminator outside may as well mount the camera itself there...

LittleScoobyMaster

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That would require the IR illuminator to have a camera...if you are mounting an illuminator outside may as well mount the camera itself there...
Is it the camera performing ai on the image that determines how much intensity the LED's should give out, or is it a sensor that determines how close an object is to determine how much intensity should be dished out by the ir LED's?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Is it the camera performing ai on the image that determines how much intensity the LED's should give out, or is it a sensor that determines how close an object is to determine how much intensity should be dished out by the ir LED's?
it is done by the camera...there is no proximity sensor in the camera.