Smart Motion Detection (SMD) and Video Detection Region

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You will get no argument from many here that using the older browsers are unfortunate. Every brand but the cloud based Ring type stuff still have cameras or processes that are browser dependent. But the cloud based solutions bring their own host of vulnerability issues.

Yes axis still requires IE for many functions. Maybe you find a camera that works on a newer browser, but the PTZs seem to be slow to change across the board.

So we decide to figure out how to use the superior equipment with the outdated browser requirement or go without.

For example almost every Dahua camera can work with other browsers, but not the PTZ. For whatever reason the track time defaults to 15 seconds for any browser but Internet Explorer. So you set that in IE and then use a different browser for anything else.

Plus it isn't like we are in them every single day, so get the configuration done and move on. I have an old laptop that doesn't even have wifi capabilities (old windows 7) with IE on it and I hook my camera directly to it if I need to make any changes. That is all that computer is used for.

Last edited:

nojson

n3wb
Reaction score
From what I’m reading so far. Axis has been able to use modern browsers since fw7.10. I guess you get what you pay for.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Your luck the one you buy will require an old browser lol. Manufacturers seem to stay quiet on the browser requirements and you learn from trial and error and forums like this which ones work.

From my experience, the axis wasn't worth the extra expense. YMMV

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Axis has been able to use modern browsers since fw7.10. I guess you get what you pay for.
That does appear to be the case here. If I were spending somebody else's money I think I'd be using Axis cameras. For the image quality and capabilities, the Dahua cameras IMO are an incredible value. With a range of cameras from 5 year old chinese market cameras to the 4k-x, I use 4 different browsers and juggle plugins. A huge pain in the rear, but that's not my biggest camera problem. I totally agree with you but in the big picture I just suck it up and play browser/plugin roulette.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Good luck on those Axis cams

If you want to match the quality/performance of the image on say the 5442 series, 4MP with a 1/1.8 sensor, you would need:

- Axis Q1786-LE bullet (4X-5X the cost of a 5442)

- Axis doesnt make many turrets, only one 4MP I find is the M3116-LVE with a lesser 1/2,7 sensor (2X the price of a superior 5442)

- Otherwise the closest match 4MP/ 1/1.8 sensor seems to be the Q3536-LVE Dome. They like their domes (4X-5X the price of a 5442)

lavinas89

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello everybody,
Has someone found a solution to keep SMD WITH area that you want to exclude?
I do not want to use privacy mask
I activate movement detection and selected the area i do not want to detect, As soon as I activate SMD i think that he do not respect the area.
Even if I select only 10% of the image the SMD will react to all the rest of the 90% of the image.
Can someone help me please? =(
Best regards from LUXEMBOURG

Reaction score
Hello everybody,
Has someone found a solution to keep SMD WITH area that you want to exclude?
I do not want to use privacy mask
I activate movement detection and selected the area i do not want to detect, As soon as I activate SMD i think that he do not respect the area.
Even if I select only 10% of the image the SMD will react to all the rest of the 90% of the image.
Can someone help me please? =(
Best regards from LUXEMBOURG
Also interested. I read elsewhere people saying to use IVS and tripwire instead of SMD, but 1) I have a Mac and the line functions don't seem to set in safari/chrome, and 2) why buy cameras advertised as having these features?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
IVS is light years ahead of SMD.
Two completely different functions.

SMD still works as a layer on top of old fashioned MD, and a specific area cant be specified within the scene, it’s the entire FOV or nothing. . Like old fashioned MD, its detection is meh

IVS is drawing virtual lines on the scene where you want detection to occur and AI detecting humans and/or vehicles only as they cross those lines.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
And try downloading PaleMoon on the Mac and see if that allows you to be able to set the IVS rules. Also which camera as not every camera has IVS or AI with IVS?

Reaction score
SMD still works as a layer on top of old fashioned MD, and a specific area cant be specified within the scene, it’s the entire FOV or nothing. . Like old fashioned MD, its detection is meh
Damn, that really sucks. So either have SMD on the entire FOV, standard motion detection on the area you select, or IVS tripwire/parked car/etc?
And try downloading PaleMoon on the Mac and see if that allows you to be able to set the IVS rules. Also which camera as not every camera has IVS or AI with IVS?
Will try now. 5442 IR

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm not a Mac guy so don;t know the specifics, but I have two friends who operate it just fine with Mac's.

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
Also interested. I read elsewhere people saying to use IVS and tripwire instead of SMD, but 1) I have a Mac and the line functions don't seem to set in safari/chrome, and 2) why buy cameras advertised as having these features?
try pale moon browser or WaterFox browser.

works great on the mac m1