Smart PSS Error Help

jd415

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've used Smart PSS for several years now and it works well besides random crashes but that's not my main concern. Starting this morning when I try review playback on a few of my cameras I get the "Failed to start playback. NETSDK returns error" (see screenshot below), some of the cameras I can review the playback just fine. From the NVR web page I'm able to playback on ALL the cameras just fine so I don't think its a hardware issue (hard drive, ect). The black gaps you see in thes screenshot below are from when I turned off the NVR and rebooted it a couple of times. I updated Smart and the issue persists, anyone have any ideas? Thank you

Attachments

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I see that now and then. Not 100% sure either, but it seems more like a network issue than anything. Its also possible if you have an iframe of more than the FPS you're hitting a spot between iframes in playback. When it happens to me, its when Im choosing a point on the timeline real close to an event hashmark. Move back a few ticks further away from the event hash and it usually grabs the video, so it could be that transition between fulltime and event clips as they are separate clips..?

jd415

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@bigredfish thank you for the response. If it was a network issue wouldn't also occur from the web based playback? The issue is not random, I can reproduce it on demand from only certain cameras from Smart PSS but works fine from the web based playback. I didnt change any settings that caused it to occur it just started randomly. I'm going to keep troubleshooting and will post with an update in a few days.

runraid

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Smartpss has been pretty buggy for me but mostly works. You might try to completely remove smartpss and reinstall the latest version. Outside of that, can you install smartpss on a second computer to see if you are able to reproduce the issue or not?

cmos

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I had the same error today, it is due to the Daylight Saving time change. It will resolve itself for future recordings at midnight.

cmos

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I’ve seen it happen on and off for years. Doesn’t seem DST related
For me this is the first time I have seen it and it started at 2am and now at midnight the new recordings are playing again. Maybe it really is the NVR doing it. SmartPSS does have some quirks.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah I search shows this error going back to 2014. Funny though it’s occasional.

jd415

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So weird, it works fine today no error, I did not make any changes. But when I try to playback only yesterdays video for half the day on specific cameras I do get the error but not todays playback.

cmos

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yep, same for me. Started at 2am time change and resolved at midnight next day. 22 hours of videos will not play for all cameras.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Very weird. Like I say I've seen it for years but it never got to the point where I couldnt play a clip, just had to adjust the starting point.

cmos

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Very weird. Like I say I've seen it for years but it never got to the point where I couldnt play a clip, just had to adjust the starting point.
You are correct, if I start playing before 2am it will play past 2am and continue. If I try to play 3am, network error. Today all play ok. Ha, I guess we will see in November. Take Care.

aledcsl

n3wb
Reaction score
Im also having a similar issue, although a lot more random, I'm unable to recreate this on demand and it appears to happen at any given time of day! Did you guys get anywhere with this?

aledcsl

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi @jd415 Time is correct on my NVR, i also have an NTP set up on it and DST, all of the cameras are showing the same time at the NVR too....have you found that time could be a cause?

jd415

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My issue went away on its own (I didnt make any changes) but for me it occurs around daylight savings time day.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
SmartPss continues to be very buggy.
In most case's you will have better luck going to the NVR's web interface and do your playbacks there. YMMV

jd415

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@looney2ns yes its VERY buggy! I cant really use the web interface, well I can but not all day long. I'm using an old version of SMART PSS and which has less bugs but still randomly crashes sometimes. I work from home, I have 2 monitors. One for work and one screen with SMART PSS live view running all day.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
In most case's you will have better luck going to the NVR's web interface and do your playbacks there.
Are you using a Dahua NVR? If you're not, I question this advice. I find playback on SmartPSS to be significantly easier than with the NVR interface. There are occasional times when I use the NVR interface for some reason, and I always forward to being done with it. No question that SmartPSS is buggy. I've made peace with it by going through several releases to settle on the one that's least-worst for me, then figuring out how to work around its bugs. I've got the install for 4 versions left on my system and have deleted a whole bunch of others. I agree that some of the versions are effectively unusable. The one thing I haven't worked around is about once a week it just closes itself, and I have to relaunch it and re-configure the screen interface from the default.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Agree I misread that as DMSS.

As long as you use SmartPSS for just live viewing, playback, and downloading clips it works better than the NVR imho.