Smart PSS Error Help

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are you using a Dahua NVR? If you're not, I question this advice. I find playback on SmartPSS to be significantly easier than with the NVR interface. There are occasional times when I use the NVR interface for some reason, and I always forward to being done with it. No question that SmartPSS is buggy. I've made peace with it by going through several releases to settle on the one that's least-worst for me, then figuring out how to work around its bugs. I've got the install for 4 versions left on my system and have deleted a whole bunch of others. I agree that some of the versions are effectively unusable. The one thing I haven't worked around is about once a week it just closes itself, and I have to relaunch it and re-configure the screen interface from the default.
I have two Dahua NVR's that I manage for folks. Its my experience and opinion only. It's worth what you paid for it. ;)

Darkhawk

n3wb
Reaction score
2022 update:
I recently suffered the NETSDK returns error when I tried to playback any camera footage. After a week of trying different things I managed to clear it using the Task Manager, firstly you must have Smart PSS open and running when you access Task Manager (on a windows PC) :

• Ctrl Alt Delete
  • choose Task manager
  • open processes tab
  • right click on Smart PSS
  • choose End Task

Reopen Smart PSS all was well again. Try it, it might work for you too. Hope this helps someone, cheers.

Last edited:

alecz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
2023 update: :cool:
I save videos to NAS via SFTP.
I am getting this in SmartPSS for the same videos that I cannot playback in VLC, and coincidentally, it's where most of the interesting action happens :rolleyes:
Is the video corrupted, what could cause this? It's quite a bummer that this can happen randomly.

Edit: file is not corrupted, if I go to SmartPSS > Playback > Local > Open File > select the file, then it works. Just from the timeline it fails to playback for some specific recordings.

Last edited:

Starglow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
2023 update: :cool:
I save videos to NAS via SFTP.
I am getting this in SmartPSS for the same videos that I cannot playback in VLC, and coincidentally, it's where most of the interesting action happens :rolleyes:
Is the video corrupted, what could cause this? It's quite a bummer that this can happen randomly.

Edit: file is not corrupted, if I go to SmartPSS > Playback > Local > Open File > select the file, then it works. Just from the timeline it fails to playback for some specific recordings.
What file format are you using when saving video captures...?? I always use MP4 and haven't had any issues playing them. You might try a video converter on your existing files to see if that helps....make a backup copy first.

zaqik

n3wb
Reaction score
I have similar issue with my HCVR5116HS-S3. It starts playback fine with simple pressing of "Play" button, but when it hops to the next piece (motion-detection recording) or I try to click on the timeline I receive such error. If I start to spam-clicking on the timeline then my XVR becomes completely irresponsible: SmartPSS starts to show "Offline (Timeout)" device status, also I can't logian via browser - shows pop-up window with just text "login failure". Trying older version of SMARTPSS just replaced NETSDK error with another one - "Requesting the first frame video..." and it requests eternally.

Last edited:

alecz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What file format are you using when saving video captures...?? I always use MP4 and haven't had any issues playing them. You might try a video converter on your existing files to see if that helps....make a backup copy first.
The camera is configured to record to SFTP and there is no option to choose the format. The files are always a pair of .dav and .idx.
I am not saving the video captures. I just playback from PC NVR timeline or open the .dav in VLC (which mostly works).

I have similar issue with my HCVR5116HS-S3. It starts playback fine with simple pressing of "Play" button, but when it hops to the next piece (motion-detection recording) or I try to click on the timeline I receive such error. If I start to spam-clicking on the timeline then my XVR becomes completely irresponsible: SmartPSS starts to show "Offline (Timeout)" device status, also I can't logian via browser - shows pop-up window with just text "login failure". Trying older version of SMARTPSS just replaced NETSDK error with another one - "Requesting the first frame video..." and it requests eternally.
However, if you open the .dav in SmartPSS (SmartPSS > Playback > Local > Open File > select the file ), you get more reliable playback and you also get to see the SMD rules which is pretty cool