smart pss motion event search

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
When you're logged onto the camera, first make sure that under Event/Smart Plan, IVS (light bulb) is selected.
Then go to Event/IVS
Click the green plus sign in the box at the top middle of the screen, it should create Rule 1 (max is 4 rules)
Set the rule type to tripwire and make sure the enable box on the left is checked
Make sure the Working Period is set up ok
Make sure Record is checked (I think that's only for the camera's SD card, but do it to be sure)
Left click Draw Rule
Go up to the camera image, hold left mouse button down, and draw a line
When done, lift the left button and click the right mouse button
You can grab the line ends and hold the left mouse button to reposition them
(You can also have multi-segment lines. I'm leaving that out)
Leave the Target Filter settings the way they are for now.
Click Save <---- must do this

Then on the NVR, you have to go through an IVS setup kinda sorta the same as for the motion detection setup.

nuraman00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks. Should I keep both motion and IVS enabled, or only one? (24/7 for general recording will still be there).

Where should I draw a line for the front doorway, so it doesn't pick up wind?

https://i.imgur.com/vS8A0NE.jpg

Why tripwire and not intrusion? Just so I understand.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Turn motion detection off. It gives too many false positives. In almost every case IVS will do a better job for you (of my 14 cameras, I use motion detect on one of them). As far as where to draw the line, I just start with my best guess and tweak it from there, looking for the best combination of reliable detection of what I want vs. the least false positives. The toughest false positives for me are moving cloud shadows and tree branches. Nothing wrong with trying intrusion detection. I think there's a lot of overlap between it and line crossing. I'm not sure what the difference would be between draw a box in intrusion, and making a box out of lines with line crossing.

drrich1101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sorry I should have mentioned the screen shot is from smartPSS, which I use 99+% of the time for viewing the video. To get the file info you click on a little left arrow on the right hand edge of the smartPSS display, halfway between the screen top and bottom (while in playback mode). If you're viewing single pane, the file info covers up part of the image. I use the display format that has one big pane surrounded by 7 smaller panes. This way, the file info doesn't cover up the image in the large pane.
Do you have a link to the most up to date smart pss for Windows? I think mine is old. Thanks

nuraman00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Turn motion detection off. It gives too many false positives. In almost every case IVS will do a better job for you (of my 14 cameras, I use motion detect on one of them). As far as where to draw the line, I just start with my best guess and tweak it from there, looking for the best combination of reliable detection of what I want vs. the least false positives. The toughest false positives for me are moving cloud shadows and tree branches. Nothing wrong with trying intrusion detection. I think there's a lot of overlap between it and line crossing. I'm not sure what the difference would be between draw a box in intrusion, and making a box out of lines with line crossing.
I'm turning motion detection off now, and setting IVS.

How does IVS handle a light going from off to on, or vice versa? With motion detection, it registers this as an event.

Also, do you think this should be registered as an event (whether with motion detection, or IVS)? I am not sure, so that's why I'm asking.

One thing I am also seeing with the motion detection, from the past few days, is that if the motion sensor light on my driveway turns on, then the light turning on is also captured by the front door camera, and a motion event is triggered for the door camera too, because the light turned on. So the light turning on affects both the driveway and front door motion events.

Again, just wondering whether this is good or not. Probably?

Ok, I kind of see the difference between Intrusion and Tripwire. With Intrusion, you need a rectangle to set a rule. With Tripwire, it can be a little more free form.

I'm trying Tripwire.

I set the Front Door to Tripwire, and put 3 different line rules.

For the Driveway one, I couldn't figure out where to place the lines. Any cars driving in the court, or anything on the driveway, captured. It felt like I wanted almost anything moving in the view, captured. I debated between Tripwire, and Motion. I went back to Motion. I think I want too much captured, with both cars driving in the street, and motion on the driveway. Any suggestions, of how to use IVS, if you think there's a good way?

For cameras 3 - 6, it was more clear to me how to set IVS. I used either Tripwire, or Intrusion.

For one of the Front Yard cameras, I had a similar issue as to the driveway one. I wanted any motion on the front yard, driveway, or street captured by this camera. I couldn't think of a good way to use one of the IVS rules. So for now, these two are set to motion. They might pick up some weather, or light changes, but I'm not sure what to do about it. Maybe if someone has suggestions, with an example. Or I could upload a screen shot of the driveway, or front yard, if someone thinks that will help.

Ok, I just tried going out to the driveway, mailbox, and back to the front door a few times. It didn't work the first time. Then I understood what you meant about going to Smart Plan and checking the IVS lightbulb. It didn't work the 2nd time. Then I changed the tripwire to be bi-directional, instead of only one way.

Then it worked.

However, when I tried the same steps of going outside 3 - 4 more times, it didn't pick those up. It only picked it up as an IVS event that one time.

Also, now for some reason my driveway camera isn't picking up motion. Out of the two outdoor cameras that are set to motion, the Front Yard is still working. But not the Driveway one. The Enable Motion is checked for the Driveway one, just like the Font Yard one.

I'll see if it somehow fixes itself by tomorrow morning. Otherwise, I think I'm going to set everything back to Motion.

It's not acceptable for it to only pick up the IVS event one time, when I walked the same steps 3 - 4 more times a few minutes apart, each time.

nuraman00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I tried one more test. I went out to the side gate.

It picked it up as an IVS event, but AFTER I had already left. Again, this isn't acceptable.

Also, I see the front door picked up an IVS event that wasn't part of a test. A car crossed the boundary on the street. So this was fine.

But overall, it seems it doesn't pick up events as often as it should, or in the side gate example, it started it way too late, after I had already left.

I think I'm going to go back to motion. And I hope somehow the driveway camera starts working again for motion, because I never changed that to IVS.

nuraman00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
A few more notes I see:

* IVS picked up a bird in the backyard. This is fine.

* On another yard camera, wind set off IVS. This isn't better than motion.

So far, I like it when IVS works, but the times where it doesn't work the way I intend (like when it missed me several times going to the mailbox, after it got me one time; or when it started the side gate event after I had already left the scene), that is more bothersome.

Motion may trigger too many events, but at least it starts on time.

nuraman00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Motion still doesn't seem to be working in the cameras where I had set IVS.

I unchecked the lightbulb under Smart Plan, for each of those channels.

I went back to Motion, and checked enable.

I did everything except for actually delete the rules.

I did go to each of the rules, and uncheck enable too.

Help, why isn't motion working like it was earlier today before I tried setting IVS?

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
If you tried too much stuff at once, and can't roll back, the best advice to give is to factory reset your camera to the defaults. Then incrementally add the features back.

Hope this helps!
CC

drrich1101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Any success? We had something eat into a pumpkin decoration on our step. No event at all triggered. I had to look at the video minute by minute all night to find the raccoon.

nuraman00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you tried too much stuff at once, and can't roll back, the best advice to give is to factory reset your camera to the defaults. Then incrementally add the features back.

Hope this helps!
CC
Thanks. After reading your post this morning, I tried a few more things.

This time, for a camera, I deleted the IVS rules (instead of leaving them disabled). That didn't fix it.

Then, I hit the default on the motion settings page, saved, then enabled it again, then saved.

This time the motion worked.

I then went to the other cameras and did the same, using the default buttons. I left the IVS rules disabled (instead of deleting them) for the other cameras.

The motion is working again for all cameras.

Any success? We had something eat into a pumpkin decoration on our step. No event at all triggered. I had to look at the video minute by minute all night to find the raccoon.
Were you using IVS or motion?

What do you think of it so far?

Did the racoon eat a pumpkin, or a decoration?

Also, going through some of the motion events from a few days ago, I noticed a skunk 2 nights in a row. Never knew that before.

IVS probably works for other people better. Just for me, because it missed a few events when I was testing it, and because it started one event too late, I don't trust it. I like some of the features when it works, as well as the post search ability.

Motion may capture some things such as neighbor's lights turning on and off (which again, I don't know if it's a good thing, would like to hear others' thoughts), but at least I know it starts on time.

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Also, I asked this in another thread, but what do those two arrows, forming a circle, mean, next to the time? To the left of the time, when watching on the NVR.

https://i.imgur.com/vS8A0NE.jpg
Just some thought: I see your time stamp in your camfeed differs from the one in your NVR screen, press that button and have a look? It might have updated the time :) If the NVR explodes, don't blame me ;-)

nuraman00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just some thought: I see your time stamp in your camfeed differs from the one in your NVR screen, press that button and have a look? It might have updated the time :) If the NVR explodes, don't blame me ;-)
Hmm, good catch. It was off by 1 second.

Ok, when I push it, a lock symbol appears. When I push it again, it disappears. I don't understand what the point is.

Also, I noticed that the 7 other cam feeds are in sync with the NVR time. But then that time in the upper right corner is about 1/2 a second behind.

I tried re-ordering the view so that a different feed was in the upper right corner. But the same thing. The time in the upper right corner was still always 1/2 a second behind.

When I watch the other cameras increment second by second, they do it a little quicker than the time in the upper right corner.

To me, the arrows would indicate some kind of "refresh" or "catch up" indicator. But what is there to catch up when viewing live feeds? Everything should be live, and at the same time, not 1/2 a second behind.

nuraman00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
When you're logged onto the camera, first make sure that under Event/Smart Plan, IVS (light bulb) is selected.
Going back to the test I did yesterday, when I went to the side gate. And found out that the IVS was triggered after I'd already left the scene.

When I re-watch the footage, but watch the time before the IVS is triggered, I see that face detection is triggered first.

Then several seconds later, after I leave the scene, then the line crossing is triggered.

Perhaps if there was some way, under Smart Plan, to enable both face detection, and IVS, then it would work better. But it seems under Smart Plan, I can select only one or the other.

Just a thought, when trying to understand why IVS was triggered after I had left the scene, and not when I entered (and I had set the tripwire to be bi-directional).

nuraman00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm currently abroad, so can't look at my fancy VGA screen hooked up at my NVR. I can only use SmartPSS right now, at that one does not have these arrows.
No problem. When you can access your fancy VGA screen again, let me know if you see it, and what you think it's supposed to do.