smart pss NVR crashes when viewing recordings

Reaction score
I’ve had the same problem. It’s ALWAYS when I try out SmartPss v2.x. Never happened with 1.x.

Same symptoms as you. PC-NVR seems to hang and become unresponsive for about 1-2 minutes, give or take. I don’t have to manually restart it though. It does come back after hanging.

I’m running this in a Win10 vm. Plenty of RAM to spare. Happened the same under Win7 vm too on different hardware.

I almost exclusively use Dahua’s mobile app for viewing. It’s rare I’m on a laptop and remote into my vm but I have every reason to believe it would happen regardless.

FWIW I’m pretty sure I never had v1.0 of SmartPss installed in the win10 vm so it was effectively a fresh install.

While I was typing this though a thought just occurred to me... Since it’s happeneing with other clients (e.g. the iOS mobile app), it could possibly be that the problem is the version of pc-nvr since that is technically a separate process from SmartPss. And presumably that got an update when updating the version PSS...

It would be interesting to install the old version of pc-nvr that shipped with SmartPss v1.x and try that with v2.

I might try this at some point this week.

knighty

n3wb
Reaction score
the NVR is a new version, (just checked I'm running version 3)

I'm sure I tried the older version... I might try it again.... the problem with the older version is the 2tb hd size limit... and it only supports 'normal# drive letters... C: D: E: etc... so when you run out of alphabet letters you run out of possible storage space (I can't remember which letters are next... but I did test it)

my old install, running on an older machine (core2duo) never had a problem... but I only had approx. 4tb of storage on there.

I wondered if it's more of a storage problem than a software problem? - once there's too much storage there it craps out no matter what? - I'm almost sure I had the same problem before... but I'll jump back to the old version in a min and try again!

Reaction score
I just rolled back to the prior version of pc-nvr and it works like a dream. The only reason I’m hesitant to stick with it is because I’ve had this ongoing issue where when motion is detected on one channel, they all record simultaneously. I’ve posted about this before. I know where the settings are that govern this behavior and the settings are correct.

But I guess overrecording is better than the pc-nvr crashing constantly...

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
I just rolled back to the prior version of pc-nvr and it works like a dream. The only reason I’m hesitant to stick with it is because I’ve had this ongoing issue where when motion is detected on one channel, they all record simultaneously. I’ve posted about this before. I know where the settings are that govern this behavior and the settings are correct.

But I guess overrecording is better than the pc-nvr crashing constantly...
Good Info

knighty

n3wb
Reaction score
I rolled back... made no difference to me

might be a silly question... but you're all running 64bit windows right?

checked to see if there was a new release of smartpss and noticed it's listed as 32bit... with no 64bit version to download... odd to mention 32bit?

my old (working) system was 32bit... new one is 64bit

imcrazyk

n3wb
Reaction score
UPD
I have a similar problem. I have tested all smart pss versions since 2.0
It looks like DAHUA did it on purpose. Only the CHALLENGE.exe process in the remote access part crashes, while the recording continues.

knighty

n3wb
Reaction score
I tried everything I could think of, different versions of windows and 3 different computers.... couldn't get it to work :-(

I bought avigilon in the end