Smarten Motion Recording w/ Dahua NVR?

Reaction score
I have an 8 port PoE Dahua NVR with a set of their IP cameras. I turned off general recording and switched everything to Motion recording with the default settings to try and save some hard drive space and only capture interesting things... ideally.

However, the motion recording isn't great. It literally will record any motion right now, aka a bug or debris that flies in front of the camera. Is there a way to make this more reliable to true motion?

I also replaced the 2 fans on the NVR with Noctua fans to try and quiet it down. It's still a bit loud, has anyone been able to get their NVR to be almost completely silent?

For these 2 items, would it better to switch over to a small form factor computer that can be potentially silent and run Blue Iris instead?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Which cameras do you have? If they have AI in them, you would be better off using the AI IVS rules than motion detection.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, then turn off motion detection in the NVR and get into the camera GUI and use the AI of that camera and it will eliminate virtually all false triggers.

The true test....I have found the AI of the cameras to work even in a freakin blizzard....imagine how much this would be triggering with motion detection. This pic says it all and was the only time that camera triggered that night.

1679354257954.png

See this thread on how using just Dahua AI may be sufficient for your needs:

Who uses Dahua AI capable cameras? Reliable AI for triggering events? Pro's/con's?

You need to make the changes in the camera GUI, not the NVR GUI. It will pull what the camera has. Make sure you are using Internet Explorer (yea we know) and not Edge or Chrome with IE tab. Or Pale Moon. Anything else and it can be a crapshoot.

To get into the camera GUI from the NVR, you need to first access the NVR GUI by going to a computer and opening up a browser (preferably Internet Explorer but Pale Moon will work as well) and type in the IP address of the NVR and login that way. Next go into the camera settings page on the NVR and look for the Microsoft e Web Browser and select it and it will go to the camera GUI (photo credit bigredfish from his PSA thread). Your screen may look a little different to get into the camera gui and see if doing it this way gets you access to some other features the NVR is blocking - do not worry about the Port number and circle as that was from another issue someone posted.

Simply select the blue IE icon and it will go to the camera GUI and from there you can set the camera parameters. Go into the camera and set up smart plan with IVS, then go to the IVS screen and draw IVS rules (tripwire or intrusion box) and then select the AI you want it to trigger on (human or vehicle).

And make sure Motion Detection and Smart Motion Detection is turned OFF in the camera.

1696106539794.png

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have an 8 port PoE Dahua NVR with a set of their IP cameras. I turned off general recording and switched everything to Motion recording with the default settings to try and save some hard drive space and only capture interesting things... ideally.

However, the motion recording isn't great. It literally will record any motion right now, aka a bug or debris that flies in front of the camera. Is there a way to make this more reliable to true motion?

I also replaced the 2 fans on the NVR with Noctua fans to try and quiet it down. It's still a bit loud, has anyone been able to get their NVR to be almost completely silent?

For these 2 items, would it better to switch over to a small form factor computer that can be potentially silent and run Blue Iris instead?
Which NVR model?

Reaction score
Thanks @wittaj I downloaded Pale Moon and was able to access it (what a retro throwback...)

To confirm, in my NVR's Alarm settings, I should have Motion detection turned OFF
and then in my camera's Video Detection > Motion Detection, I should have that turned OFF
and in my camera's Smart Plan, I select IVS
and in my camera's IVS settings, I create the rules that I want and check Record

Is that it?

@looney2ns it is an

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is correct.

After you do that, probably a good idea to reboot the NVR to ensure it pulls the configs from the cameras.

And then you should have A LOT LESS false triggers!

Reaction score
Awesome, but in my NVR's Storage Schedule settings... do I need to set anything there at all? Should I set all the days 24/7 to "Intelligent" or "Alarm" instead of "motion"?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It should be the Intelligent.