SMD 3.0 dahua

cd36

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm playing around with the 21-05-06 firmware right now, and I'm not seeing an issue to the same degree as Wildcat and Looney.

Settings are complete auto. When I switch Smart IR off, I notice the IR light intensity actually increases during a static scene.

I can walk right up to the camera, and I get a bit of whiteout when I am only a few feet away, otherwise it looks quite good.

One thing I do notice is a pulsing in brightness, unsure if it is from the IR pulsing or the exposure adjusting or what, but I notice a slight pulsing, especially when I am close.

My testing conditions were in pitch darkness, I'm out in the sticks so I have no ambient light at all where I'm testing. I'll try and get a video up.

ADDITION: I had typed out the above, then I realized, I have an enclosed trailer about 45 feet away from the camera. I turned HLC on 50, the scene brightened up, and the pulsing seemed to diminish. I went and retested, and I'm seeing more whiteout than before. I think glare off my white trailer, and licence plate/reflectors was artificially dimming my image.

I'll keep playing with it, and try out some of Wildcats settings. I don't really notice a huge adjustment in the image whether I am right beside the camera or far away. I don't feel the IR is adjusting a whole lot based on where I am.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
@cd36 you find the point, and we are working day and night to find out the problem, looks like looney and wildcat use the first batch hardware from 2019, so i arrange a new sample to wildcat to make further adjusment.
I tested the 2020 cams, looks like all ok, we will know it soon.
@MikeLud1 @jmcu and @Cameraguy all tested, smart IR it's working.
@Wildcat_1 is checking the code on his camera, looks like will finding the issues soon.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
@cd36 you find the point, and we are working day and night to find out the problem, looks like looney and wildcat use the first batch hardware from 2019, so i arrange a new sample to wildcat to make further adjusment.
I tested the 2020 cams, looks like all ok, we will know it soon.
@MikeLud1 @jmcu and @Cameraguy all tested, smart IR it's working.
@Wildcat_1 is checking the code on his camera, looks like will finding the issues soon.

@cd36 also remember you are using all AUTO which is not advised or able to able to be used in most environments. In my testing since posting above, it looks like something else going on in FW.

@EMPIRETECANDY as I discussed with you yesterday. There is something else going on under the hood (code level) with this FW. I think I'm close to cracking the issue and will report back to all here ASAP with my findings.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
There does not seem to be such firmware in that forum. There's one from 1123, but for a very different camera.
@polaris the 11/23 was still a test FW based off of feedback from the earlier 20-09-03 & 20-10-19 FW's that had issues with SmartIR and SMD 2.0 functionality. Feedback form myself and others resulted in the successful last test FW of 11/23. This then was moved to release FW version of titled 20-12-03 or for the full file title General_IPC-HX5XXX-Volt_MultiLang_NP_Stream3_V2.800.15OG004.0.R.201203. While 11/23 may still exist it was only out there from a test perspective thanks to @EMPIRETECANDY as we tested this one for final fixes.

HTH clear things up. Therefore release version you can look for is again General_IPC-HX5XXX-Volt_MultiLang_NP_Stream3_V2.800.15OG004.0.R.201203. That can be found on a post by @EMPIRETECANDY in this thread HERE

cd36

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@cd36 also remember you are using all AUTO which is not advised or able to able to be used in most environments. In my testing since posting above, it looks like something else going on in FW.

@EMPIRETECANDY as I discussed with you yesterday. There is something else going on under the hood (code level) with this FW. I think I'm close to cracking the issue and will report back to all here ASAP with my findings.
Hey, yes I know I was in auto, I just flashed the firmware and I like to look initially with the settings on auto just to see what the camera thinks it should do. I was honestly surprised how decent the auto settings looked out of the box with this firmware. It was 1 in the morning though so I didn't get far with it.

This weekend I will be doing some tuning and see what I get for results.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Hey, yes I know I was in auto, I just flashed the firmware and I like to look initially with the settings on auto just to see what the camera thinks it should do. I was honestly surprised how decent the auto settings looked out of the box with this firmware. It was 1 in the morning though so I didn't get far with it.

This weekend I will be doing some tuning and see what I get for results.
Auto will always look good but unfortunately very very very rarely will it yield a result that is usable with any motion

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I just installed this test firmware one one of my cams and for me because of where my cams are mounted and the height I don’t really have and whiteout type issues when I tested last night. I don’t run auto and have used the settings that @wittaj recommended in his other threads where he suggested day and night settings.

Last edited:

cd36

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

Here is a video using the 21-05-06, with exposure set to 0-10ms, gain at 0-50, smartIR on, everything else left to default settings: Whiteout doesn't seem to bad in this video.

And as far as auto is concerned, I know, I realize you can get better results from tuning, all I was saying is it looked better in Auto than I was used to auto looking. For instance, here is all auto but with HLC=50.

Is it perfect? No, but its better than what I've seen from alot of cameras in Auto settings. There is definitely more whiteout near the edges. Probably from it keeping slightly longer exposure times than when I limited it to 10ms. SmartIR seems to adjust the most at the center of the image, with the edges (particularly bottom edge where I'm closest) not adjusting as much. Although I wonder if the trailer license plate is throwing things off as well, that's why I moved the trailer after that.

I have no ambient lighting, the only light is provided by the camera. It was a very dark night, with really no moonlight helping either. I had my phone out as I couldn't see a thing without it.

Edit :the camera is a T5442TM-AS 3.6MM

Last edited:

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score

Here is a video using the 21-05-06, with exposure set to 0-10ms, gain at 0-50, smartIR on, everything else left to default settings: Whiteout doesn't seem to bad in this video.

And as far as auto is concerned, I know, I realize you can get better results from tuning, all I was saying is it looked better in Auto than I was used to auto looking. For instance, here is all auto but with HLC=50.

Is it perfect? No, but its better than what I've seen from alot of cameras in Auto settings. There is definitely more whiteout near the edges. Probably from it keeping slightly longer exposure times than when I limited it to 10ms. SmartIR seems to adjust the most at the center of the image, with the edges (particularly bottom edge where I'm closest) not adjusting as much. Although I wonder if the trailer license plate is throwing things off as well, that's why I moved the trailer after that.

I have no ambient lighting, the only light is provided by the camera. It was a very dark night, with really no moonlight helping either. I had my phone out as I couldn't see a thing without it.

Edit :the camera is a T5442TM-AS 3.6MM
You definitely will see performance shifts when comparing fixed to vari, good and bad.

Yes, AUTO in the newer FW’s can look better than old AUTO primarily as a lot of the newer HW ties that in with Auto Iris (which as I mentioned I don’t advocate for or recommend) which not all HW supports. However as we’ve mentioned here, the biggest issues with AUTO is it’s unpredictable nature (adjusting what it believes is needed to give a bright image) but with very little intelligence. This is what causes Issues with ensuring decent caps and why I recommend avoiding and always dialing in for you location, FOV and desired target type.

This allows you to control the image based on your environment and end up with much cleaner, usable caps.

cd36

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You definitely will see performance shifts when comparing fixed to vari, good and bad.

Yes, AUTO in the newer FW’s can look better than old AUTO primarily as a lot of the newer HW ties that in with Auto Iris (which as I mentioned I don’t advocate for or recommend) which not all HW supports. However as we’ve mentioned here, the biggest issues with AUTO is it’s unpredictable nature (adjusting what it believes is needed to give a bright image) but with very little intelligence. This is what causes Issues with ensuring decent caps and why I recommend avoiding and always dialing in for you location, FOV and desired target type.

This allows you to control the image based on your environment and end up with much cleaner, usable caps.
Yes I agree with that. All I stated is it seemed improved over older versions and cameras. I apologize for stating an opinion.

I never advocated or even said I was going to leave it on auto. Just observing in this instance it seemed they have auto performing closer to something useable than in the past.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes I agree with that. All I stated is it seemed improved over older versions and cameras. I apologize for stating an opinion.

I never advocated or even said I was going to leave it on auto. Just observing in this instance it seemed they have auto performing closer to something useable than in the past.
Yep, we’re on the same page :)

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
After long term use of this firmware SMD3.0 on my 5442 varifocal turret, I find that intrusion and trip wire are not working as well as the 20-12-03 did.
This firmware will miss events from people from time to time.
Anyone else notice this?
I did perform the Global setup on both firmwares.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
After long term use of this firmware SMD3.0 on my 5442 varifocal turret, I find that intrusion and trip wire are not working as well as the 20-12-03 did.
Anyone else notice this?
agreed @looney2ns and see the same in my testing.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Same here, I went back to previous firmware as I just didn't find 3.0 to be ready yet for mass distribution.

Then I had an issue when I reverted back that the camera wouldn't initialize after a factory reset and yes I heard it make the click noise and all that good stuff with the factory reset procedure. Ended up having to hold the reset in for 2 minutes before I got control of the camera again. Some tense moments there wondering if the camera had bricked! One of the many reasons why we say if the camera is working as intended for your purposes, it is best to not update firmware....don't fix what ain't broke...

I was testing this, so a slightly different reason, but nonetheless the risk does always exist.

cd36

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Anyone else notice this?
I haven't had a chance to test out IVS yet, I'll get that setup and check it out.

Are you just noticing it on humans or on vehicles as well?