SMS sending not working

cjsilk

n3wb
Reaction score
Can some help with the setup of SMS in the latest Blue Iris. I try to configure the SMS settings but it keeps defaulting to an email smtp setting whether I enter the APN or not. What do I seem to be doing wrong.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What do you mean by "it keeps defaulting to an email smtp setting whether I enter the APN or not"..the program needs you to set up an email account so that it can send texts.

cjsilk

n3wb
Reaction score
What do you mean by "it keeps defaulting to an email smtp setting whether I enter the APN or not"..the program needs you to set up an email account so that it can send texts.
Email works correctly and sends email notifications, but I assumed that sms messaging was available as there is a SMS configuration to a mobile phone. The closer I have looked it appears this is not so or I need a third party program

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh..Sms messaging is available and works well with no third party program. You just need to configure the sms settings in the alerts tab. The program uses your email account to send texts. What error are you getting when trying to configure sms?

cjsilk

n3wb
Reaction score
Oh..Sms messaging is available and works well with no third party program. You just need to configure the sms settings in the alerts tab. The program uses your email account to send texts. What error are you getting when trying to configure sms?
Thanks for the reply. I have worked out that the message is what I enter into the configuration settings and it is sent by email. It is not what we call over here as in mobile phone SMS messaging. Will adjust text to suit

cjsilk

n3wb
Reaction score
Looks like here in Australia we do not automatically get an email address with the phone, we have to setup a separate account to be able to setup SMS configuration

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
lookup your provider you should have an email to SMS number, like 5551234567@txt.att.net

I actually have a google rule, say username+pager@gmail.com, if it catches the +pager at the end it flags the message as very important in my mailbox and sends a copy to my SMS address... this way I have an archive of notifications in my mailbox too, and I also get the page if im at my computer without my phone.

If your cellular provider does not provide you with a SMS email address your pretty much boned..