SMTP not working for Outlook email

MikeyTech8

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out why the SMTP feature isn't working with my Outlook email address. When testing with the test button, I get the fail! The SMTP settings in my camera are: Server name: smtp.office365.com , Port: 587 , Encryption method: TLS. Username = my email address, Password = my email address password. I have also enabled the "Let devices and apps use POP".

I look forward to hearing back from you guys on how to fix this :D .

Thanks
P.S. Have also tried resetting camera back to factory and issue persists.

Valiant

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
What camera is it ?.

Done the basics ?, have a default gateway configured?, DNS ?. Is camera on an internet connected Lan ?

MikeyTech8

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What camera is it ?.

Done the basics ?, have a default gateway configured?, DNS ?. Is camera on an internet connected Lan ?
Cameras:

-HFW5442T-ASE (Loryta IPC-B5442T-ASE)

- IPC-HFW2831-ZS and IPC-HFW1831E

NVR:

- DHI-NVR408-8P-4KS2

DHCP enabled with DNS defaulted on Google DNS (this was the default when I received products from Andy). POE Cameras connected to NVR

Valiant

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The POE ports on the NVR are a separate network to your internet LAN. The IP addresses there should be different to your internet LAN and therefore internet is not accessible. If you try the SMTP settings on the NVR itself, see if the NVR can send email ?

I'm not sure if it's possible to get the cameras to send email or other alerts via the NVR. Someone else may have more experience there.

generalinq

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
From my experience, the SMTP service will work only from the NVR and not from the individual camera when the cameras are connected to the NVR for the reasons that Valiant describes.

If I detach the camera from the NVR and plug directory into the switch, the SMTP from the camera works.

One thing to watch out for when using SMTP. If using 2FA for your email login, you may need to set an 'app' password and then use that app password in your config setup. I do not think the NVR/cameras have the ability to log us into for SMTP using 2FA. I use gmail and this is exactly what I had to do.

I also switched the DNS smtp name to the one of the actual IPs so that I can have it connect directly to the SMTP server without any DNS lookup (no fail over for SMTP using this method). I create a rule allowing my NVR to access that IP address on port 587.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Correct.

Cameras plugged into the PoE ports of an NVR are assigned (with Dahua anyway) a 10.1.1.x IP address by the built-in PoE switch. They cannot access the interwebs to send email. The NVR can do so on their behalf

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
On the Dahua NVRs, has anyone experimented with what can be done on Hikvision NVRs to allow NVR-PoE-port-connected cameras to send email with image attachments? Generally Hikvision camera alert emails send bigger and more useful snapshots than the NVR.

Essentially it's a matter of some changes to the networking -
Use the NVR PoE interface IP address as the default gateway for the camera.
Inform the LAN router / gateway where to send traffic for the cameras by adding a static route, something like :
"For <NVR-PoE_ports_network_address> use <NVR_LAN_Interface> as the gateway."

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I get great res snapshots via email from my Dahua NVRs ...,. 4000 and 5000 series as well as on older XVR

I’m not a smart enough network guy to try what you suggest, but it seems like the router wouldn’t know how to communicate with the PoE ports on 10.1.1.x to set the static route?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Setting the static route is what informs the router how to handle packets associated with the network address specified.
Without that static route, such packets are either non routable, or sent to the next hop routing gateway depending on the address in question.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Right, but didn’t know the router could do that for a network it doesn’t see directly, ie the 10.1.1.1.x ... may have to give it a shot ! Thx