Snapshot file format

Hirize

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi,

I got the IPC-HDW5231R-Z from Andy and I'm confused on seeing the snapshots via the camera software.
I have it setup for motion detection and I can see that it must be working as the SD card is filling up but in playback it shows nothing.
I choose the SD card and the .jpg format but nothing.
When I do manual snapshots I have them go to a network drive and they are .bmp format.
Is there somewhere you change the format??

Thanks, Pete

Hirize

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well I have either broken an unwritten rule of conduct or my questions are so stupid nobody wants to reply.

Sorry either way.

ewc1111

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi Pete, Which browser do you use? the pictures are stored as jpg. Not as bmp. bmp are only generated directly in the browser if you make a snapshot in the live view. can you see the video dav files in the timeline ? did you set the time schedule for the snapshots? have you enabled the snapshot on the motion detection tab ? what sd cards do you use ? try
format the sd card with the camera software. see my screenshots below:

jpg2.JPGjpg1.JPG jpg3.JPG jpg4.JPG jpg5.JPG jpg6.JPG jpg7.JPG

Hirize

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
ewc1111,
Thanks, I'll try this later after work.
I use Chrome with the NACL plug-in.
Now I understand why the ones sent to the NAS are .bmp format.
I'm sure it's some setting I have wrong but it's very confusing so I will follow your steps and let you know.

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply!!!

Pete

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Well I have either broken an unwritten rule of conduct or my questions are so stupid nobody wants to reply.
Not everyone has the chance during the working day to monitor the forum and provide fast responses for every question posed.
Timezones are a feature as well.
Sarcasm will not help.
Generally forum members are pretty good and quick at answering almost everything that appears.
Have a little patience.

ewc1111

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Pete, and important are also very good sd cards. cheap sd cards make problems. my own experience. regards Erhard

Hirize

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
alastairstevenson,

I'm aware of these things and the time zones really aware of, just am so frustrated that some simple things are not anywhere in the manual.
I have two cameras with SD cards and the cards are filling up from motion detection but the playback shows nothing there. Formatted, rebooted ARRRGGGGG!
I'm sure its simple and I'll kick myself once figured out.

ewc1111

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
alastairstevenson,

I'm aware of these things and the time zones really aware of, just am so frustrated that some simple things are not anywhere in the manual.
I have two cameras with SD cards and the cards are filling up from motion detection but the playback shows nothing there. Formatted, rebooted ARRRGGGGG!
I'm sure its simple and I'll kick myself once figured out.
did you try it with smartpss?
with this software, it should definitely work to access the videos and snapshots. If so, it's up to the browser. If both do not check the SD card. For me it was the problem with a cheap SD card. showed that something was recorded, but the video was broken.

Hirize

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Maybe the SD card.
Using a Lexar 32GB..........................did I screw up?
I only want to take snapshots when motion is tripped.

ewc1111

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
with lexar I have no experience. I now use the Samsung EVO +. with the cheap SD card before, the snapshots were also broken. Try Smartpss to exclude this.

Hirize

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm gonna go out later and get Samsung and also try the smartpss but its on my laptop so have to wait till after work.

My time zone is Hawaii right now and I start at 4AM my time to be with our west coast office :-(

Pete

ewc1111

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
oh hawaii. wonderfull place ;-) ok...here in Germany its 08.00 pm.
I hope you can solve your problems soon. best regards Erhard

Hirize

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Partial success!!!
So stupid on my part, I admit it and please tell people this. I will still do a Dummy's Guide to setup when all done.

TIME! So simple, never thought of it. Checked the SD card on my computer and the files were all marked as year 2000. Went to the camera and changed it now presto have snapshots. Note to self: Make sure to set the GMT time correct!
Now I can see playback but still discovering tidbits that seem strange and a few questions still but things seem to be catching.

Thanks everyone!
Pete

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score

Hirize

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Did learn not to format the card in the camera, when I did it disappeared and even rebooting both via camera software and unplugging POE did not bring it back. Had to connect it to my desktop and reformat then reinstall and all is good. Now I have to reinstall the camera on the mount so if it does not work once I do that I suspect a loose connection on the internal card slot.

Pete