So confused with motion on hik nvr

Mark rider

n3wb
Reaction score
So I have a hik 7608ni NVR and a IP 442fwd can
I really don't understand the differance between events,alarm,motion. I have searched and there are bits about it on here but still don't understand what you would use and why.
Pulling my hair out
Also how to set up push notifications to VMS app many thanks

Thanks

Mark a newbie

Mark rider

n3wb
Reaction score
Oh great no I have o KY got a quick start guide nothing in there.
Will take a look
Thanks

Mark

Mark rider

n3wb
Reaction score
Looked though and nothing in the manual that tells you what each does. So still nun the wiser also can't get messages via the app

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Not sure what you are trying to accomplish but info on all the functions is in the manual.

Events depending on the hardware support you have does the following: (face detection/face capture, line crossing detection, intrusion detection, region entrance detection, region exiting detection, loitering detection, people gathering detection, fast moving detection, parking detection, unattended baggage detection, object removal detection, audio loss exception detection, sudden change of sound intensity detection, and defocus detection)

Motion Detection doesn't get much more obvious - you draw a zone and if something or someone moves inside that zone it detects motion.

Alarms - When something gets activated, dry contact sensors, motion, etc you can activate an alarm. This could be a wired strobe light, PTZ camera activation and movement, etc.

I understand you wanting to "understand" your product, but posting what you are trying to accomplish might help us get you to that point.

Mark rider

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok so
In the recording schedule you can have it as alarm,continuous,event,motion, why would you want anything other than motion.
So from your note and a bit if reading corectct me if I'm wrong.
The alarm bit is only if you have something like a PIR connected ?
Motion is obvious IE motion detection.
But what is the event for. My cam/NVR does line and intrusion detection.
So I would set that as motion right ?

Sorry for the questions once got my head round it it will be fine lol.

Thanks
Mark

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
In the recording schedule you can have it as alarm,continuous,event,motion, why would you want anything other than motion.
This question will generate different opinions.

Personally, I record all cameras 24/7. Some people will only record motion or events.

My theory between 24/7 is "why chance missing something". An example of this would be your neighbors home gets broken into middle of the day, their alarm goes off at 1:04pm. The cameras that monitor your driveway or front yard are set to event/motion only which would obviously exclude the street so you don't get a crazy amount of hits. Thus you would have no recordings to reference to help your neighbor or police. However, if you are recording 24/7 you can go back and pull the two cameras that may have caught a car coming or going at the time of the break in. I could give plenty of "what if's" why I believe in 24/7 recording for all cameras, but that is just me.

Next I have "motion detection" setup on my front door camera. Thus, I get an email with snapshot anytime someone enters the zone. This is two fold, I can see who arrived, as well as know I have a reference point in time if I need to review. The same can be done with a Line Crossing alarm, however, those will not include the 3 snapshot attachments via email like motion does.

Mark rider

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok all that makes sense but whats the difference between motion and event
Yer good point on the 24/7 recording so I'm getting there with understanding it now just the deference between event and motion.

Thanks very much indeed

Mark .

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
whats the difference between motion and event
For 'event' read 'smart event'.
Likely to be for your camera 'line crossing detection' and 'intrusion detection' but could also be any of the other 'smart events' that the higher level cameras support such as 'dropped object detection' 'heat detection' 'sudden sound detection' etc.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Events for your HIK are what I covered in post 4. However you must have an camera that supports such events. The camera you have will prob only support line crossing.

Events depending on the hardware support you have does the following: (face detection/face capture, line crossing detection, intrusion detection, region entrance detection, region exiting detection, loitering detection, people gathering detection, fast moving detection, parking detection, unattended baggage detection, object removal detection, audio lossexception detection, sudden change of sound intensity detection, and defocus detection)