So I roughly have installed a 5442 6mm birdhouse camera on lamp post 50' from my front door....with tire slashing incursion discussion

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
IVS doesn't work for me at night with my 5442 as well as it does for others. I must be difference in the distance of the target(s) or maybe its because I use a fast shutter at night (1/125) which limits light into the sensor. I only get about a 75% hit rate at night. It's 100% during the daytime.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, I have so little light that I have to run slower shutters and even then it is still dark. The 5442 still generally makes good video despite 1/60 shutter (certainly better than any consumer junk), so I decided to use those as the primary role to move the PTZ. My other cams that are in front of the house with my house lights on then can also pick them up good with faster shutters, but using these two cams as spotters facing two houses down allow the PTZ to get good video as well and take advantage of the zoom it has and autotracking.

Reaction score
IVS doesn't work for me at night with my 5442 as well as it does for others. I must be difference in the distance of the target(s) or maybe its because I use a fast shutter at night (1/125) which limits light into the sensor. I only get about a 75% hit rate at night. It's 100% during the daytime.
are you full color at night?

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
are you full color at night?
Yup. It’s not consistent for me. My trip lines go over the road and the intent is to get snapshots as the car passes over the trip lines. In reality, sometimes I’ll get a snapshot too late and the car is halfway out of the frame or even totally out of the frame and all I get is a pretty night time picture of the road with nothing on it.

Give it a try though. Others have better success than I do.

Reaction score
Yup. It’s not consistent for me. My trip lines go over the road and the intent is to get snapshots as the car passes over the trip lines. In reality, sometimes I’ll get a snapshot too late and the car is halfway out of the frame or even totally out of the frame and all I get is a pretty picture of a road with nothing on it.

Give it a try though. Others have better success than I do.
have you tried B&W?

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
have you tried B&W?
I haven’t. That camera doubles as my overview camera and works in conjunction with my LPR camera so I want it in full color to better ID cars if need be.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Cars and IVS tripwires at night can be problematic in color as the camera needs to be able to recognize the object, classify it as a vehicle, and then trigger. Depending on how the IVS is setup and the zoom and the speed of the vehicle, it could be out of the frame.

Have you tried intrusion instead with appears and crosses checked instead of tripwires? I wonder if you did intrusion and almost the entire frame in the box if you would have better success. Or maybe some HLC to knock down the headlights so that the camera can see it is a car? Post a screenshot and let's see if we can dial it in (or did you already - I know someone had a similar issue but cannot remember if it was you).

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Cars and IVS tripwires at night can be problematic in color as the camera needs to be able to recognize the object, classify it as a vehicle, and then trigger. Depending on how the IVS is setup and the zoom and the speed of the vehicle, it could be out of the frame.

Have you tried intrusion instead with appears and crosses checked instead of tripwires? I wonder if you did intrusion and almost the entire frame in the box if you would have better success. Or maybe some HLC to knock down the headlights so that the camera can see it is a car? Post a screenshot and let's see if we can dial it in (or did you already - I know someone had a similar issue but cannot remember if it was you).
I have an intrusion box in the middle of the road and then triplines on both side of the box. So a car has to pass over three different rules. Sometimes I'll get multiple snapshots of the same car. Other times I miss a car totally or its half off the frame. HLC is already set at 75.

I've kinda ignored it for the most part to be honest. I record 24x7 anyways to its not critical I get the IVS based snapshots saved. Its just nice to browse the snapshot folder in the morning and quickly flip through all the snapshots and see what transpired in front of the house the previous evening.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Another thing to consider is the CPU in some of these things are not very powerful and having multiple intrusion and triplines COULD be causing troubles for cars as the little CPU maxes out. Maybe try just the intrusion box?

In my case I had to go with triplines and several to make sure I got it because I only wanted the PTZ to move based on people walking in one direction and you cannot do that with intrusion boxes. Otherwise, my other cams are just intrusion. My one cam was totally missing cars when I had multiple IVS in it.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@Holbs - looking at your color and B/W pics and the angle you have and the speed of a vehicle, I think that IVS of the cams would work very well.

Reaction score
@Holbs - looking at your color and B/W pics and the angle you have and the speed of a vehicle, I think that IVS of the cams would work very well.
for time being... I am 100% interesting in humans only, not cars. I have a LPR camera (yet to install) for license plate + home automation but that's for later.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Then I am confident that human IVS within the camera will capture all your human perps! Set up intrusion box and check the appears and crosses (by default one of those isn't enabled), and you will get just those triggers.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Cross-threading @Holbs - maybe the AI in your cams can take the dependence off of the 3rd party and keep your CPU usage in check!

Reaction score
Yeah that happens to me too much too LOL
do folks use the AI in the cameras for humans/vehicles? I'll have to research the IPCT forums for pro's/con's, what works/what does not.
If things pan out with the AI, will have to decide what cameras use them and which ones still rely on Deepstack/OnGuard since OnGuard has MQTT while camera AI does not.
For some, maybe this is not important. For me, highly critical during my home security issue as first line defense.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I use both and have been spot on. Some will notice issues with vehicles at night (especially if running color) as the camera needs time to recognize the object and then trigger, but it is based on limitation of the location of the camera and viewpoint rather than limitations with the AI itself.

And yeah based on your system, you may need to keep some on that 3rd party, but other cameras you can probably use it within the camera. Blue Iris allows MQTT, but I do not use it so I do not know the specifics as to if you could migrate what you are doing to that or not. But maybe if offloading a camera or two off of Deepstack brings system usage down maybe it would be of benefit to you. Last thing you need is CPU maxing out or getting that error you posted in other thread happening at the wrong time and missing something.

Reaction score
I use both and have been spot on. Some will notice issues with vehicles at night (especially if running color) as the camera needs time to recognize the object and then trigger, but it is based on limitation of the location of the camera and viewpoint rather than limitations with the AI itself.

And yeah based on your system, you may need to keep some on that 3rd party, but other cameras you can probably use it within the camera. Blue Iris allows MQTT, but I do not use it so I do not know the specifics as to if you could migrate what you are doing to that or not. But maybe if offloading a camera or two off of Deepstack brings system usage down maybe it would be of benefit to you. Last thing you need is CPU maxing out or getting that error you posted in other thread happening at the wrong time and missing something.
not much discussion of camera AI itself on the forums. I think I'll start a new forum post for this subject so people can jump in with pro's/con's and such. Is good to get the info out to folks