So I told a friend I was starting to take home security more seriously...

Reaction score
hmph...I would of figured the gun shop folks have honor and dignity for no BS. I did research a little bit about firearms for home defense. Both Mossberg shotgun and Glock were tied at #1 (of course, debate of which particular model/make gun such as 9mm vs revolver is better is personal preference). I do plan on keeping this shotgun but probably will get a butt stock ($40+ for it...reasonable). I will have in my future a handgun as well. I hope this does not put me down the path of my having 40 wood working chisels / saws when I really do not need that many :)
Looney...I will take your advice to mind. Doesn't hurt to get 2nd opinion or such.

Last edited:

BigFoot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Decided to finally own my first firearm. Will not be my last. But should be a good starting point. Mossberg 500 12gauge 8 shot. I heavily relied on the seasoned experience of the highly recommended gun shop crew to help advise me. (9mm will be next after my wallet cools off).
Next, lots of training and test firings.
View attachment 43075
The Mossberg 500 is a lovely, time proven & reliable shotgun. Pretty sure I'd not want to fire one stockless with just a pistol grip though

I sold mine many years ago when I took the decision to concentrate purely on 20 gauge - Game & clay pigeon shooter here

Reaction score
I did call a NRA instructor just now. Glad I did. Best Yelp reviews (hay..those things do come in handy) in the region by retired NRA instructors and patrons. Anyways, she (Kelly) said it might be wise to sign up for the CCW class and "rent" various handguns onsite so that I can get a feel of which I prefer, before I purchase a handgun for myself. They cover "some" home defense aspects but not so much. She recommended me back to my original purchase place for additional classes as she spoke highly about the gun shop and their various classes/instructors.

Reaction score
The Mossberg 500 is a lovely, time proven & reliable shotgun. Pretty sure I'd not want to fire one stockless with just a pistol grip though
Yes Bigfoot..I was nervous and yea...a little intimidated since this was my first ever firearm purchase. I should of realized the pistol grip is not the ideal first shotgun stock to own. I'll be heading back over to ask if I can get replacement shotgun (this was their last one in stock for time being) or how easy it is to change out to a true butt stock (the ones on Amazon are in the $40-$50 range from wood to rubber...but unsure if I should stick to the originating gun shop as a form of being a good neighbor or the hit/miss of Amazon items).

Reaction score
Looney...they do have rental for various firearms at the 10 lane indoor firing range. Even an old timey "grease gun". The different various models & make looked all fun to try out at the range. Never knew renting a firearm was a thing. Maybe, will try slug ammo someday :)

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Looney...they do have rental for various firearms at the 10 lane indoor firing range. Even an old timey "grease gun". The different various models & make looked all fun to try out at the range. Never knew renting a firearm was a thing. Maybe, will try slug ammo someday :)
Don't fall for the Glock fan boy noise.
Glocks don't like me, the grip angel is wrong as it is for many people. They choke as often as any other gun when used under pressure.
I would if you can look and try.
-Glock 19
-Ruger Sr9 or Sr9c
-Ruger Security 9 or the Security 9 compact.
-Glock 42
-Sig P320
-Sig P365
-Springfield any of their XD-M models.
There is a reason that there are hundreds of models to choose from, every gun doesn't fit everybody.
List is in no particular order.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Glocks don't like me, the grip angel is wrong as it is for many people. They choke as often as any other gun when used under pressure.
-Glock 19
-Ruger Sr9 or Sr9c
-Glock 42
-Sig P320
-Sig P365
There is a reason that there are hundreds of models to choose from, every gun doesn't fit everybody.

I have some experience with handguns, Thats a great list, I would only add the Smith & Wesson M&P series to it.
(Though I'm an admitted Sig Fanboy)

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have some experience with handguns, Thats a great list, I would only add the Smith & Wesson M&P series to it.
(Though I'm an admitted Sig Fanboy)
M&P's around here get no love with the IDPA crowd.
The Sr9c, is still my favorite gun, but I use the XD-M 5.25 for IDPA, I need the longer sight picture, it's been flawless. ;)

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Been using the Full size P320 with Dawson sights and a slight trigger job for a couple of years, but about to step up to an X5 so I can play in carry optics like the rest of the cool kids ;)

Besides, the eyes aint what the used to be

Dramus

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Well that's no fun! :)
Yeah, well, his wrist will thank me ;)

I could of suggested some nice slugs. ;)
So a couple of young turks show up at the public rifle range one day, a couple years ago, with a tacticool shotgun like the adventurous Holbs has, only with a butt stock, to sight that bad boy in at 25 yards--with slugs. I overhear them talking about it (electronic ears), so I discreetly watched.

First one touches the first round off and, I swear to God, knocks himself clean off the shooting bench and goes "OW!" Now at this point a sane man might've rethought his plans for the day. Not these two warriors. No way. They kept at it.

Every time they touched one off I winced. Don't know if they ever did hit anything. I bet their shoulders were sore for days.

BigFoot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
-Glock 19
-Ruger Sr9 or Sr9c
-Glock 42
-Sig P320
-Sig P365

Nice list, but if you're looking for a personal defense firearm I would stay away from all self loading pistols

Though not American, I used to compete at National level when such firearms were permitted here in the UK

For absolute accuracy & ease of use, nothing beats a quality revolver - ideally either S&W or Ruger

My competition gun was a beautiful S&W 686, moderately reworked including trigger & sear with a modified undercut Partridge foresight

It was as happy doing rapid-fire '1500' type comps at 15 feet as it was at doing long range standard pistol at 300 meters, and everything inbetween

With sprung speedloaders (and practice) a reload was under 2 seconds. With practice & comps it was going through 500-600 rounds a week, all flawless & without issue

Don't get hung-up on high magazine capacity - 15 rounds is great but in the heat of the moment a misfeed renders it useless

If I HAD to go for one of those on the list it would have to be the P320

Though of all the self loading pistols I tried through the years (over 400), the most accurate by far was the Steyr GB - though these may be rather hard to find nowadays

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry, a wheel gun has just as much chance to choke when used under pressure as a bottom feeder.
My Springer is approaching 10k rounds, and nary a problem.
The key is to train, train, train for malfunctions of any kind until you can do it in your sleep.
We have Clint to explain.

BigFoot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@looney2ns - you hit the nail on the head my friend. As with everything in life : Practice, practice , practice ..... then practice some more

Dramus

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Been using the Full size P320 with Dawson sights and a slight trigger job for a couple of years, but about to step up to an X5 so I can play in carry optics like the rest of the cool kids ;)

Besides, the eyes aint what the used to be
If we're talking about home defence firearms, I'd humbly suggest a weapons mounted light before an RDR. For an HD firearm you're generally talking distances so close an RDR, I'd argue, is like bringing coals to Newcastle.

Nice list, but if you're looking for a personal defense firearm I would stay away from all self loading pistols.
I disagree with that suggestion. Yes: Once upon a time bottom-feeders were not considered particularly reliable. But modern designs and manufacturing methods have mostly made that a thing of the past. E.g.: @looney2ns' points about Glocks aside: A minimally maintained Glock will hardly ever fail to go *bang* when you press the bang switch.