So is a 15 FPS that important to BI?

richtj99

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi,

So I have had cameras for years & have been using Geovision to power my system. Geovision uses a substream for live viewing, then switches to the main stream when you click on a camera to view. It records in the main stream.

I am running into CPU issues with many cameras and am having a hard time stomaching the 15fps limit.

Does it make that much of a difference for Blue Iris?

I have a dedicated monitor in my office where i watch the Geovision camera VMS system so i am used to seeing it in a more real time view (25-30fps).

Is it that important?

Thanks,
Rich

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,

So I have had cameras for years & have been using Geovision to power my system. Geovision uses a substream for live viewing, then switches to the main stream when you click on a camera to view. It records in the main stream.

I am running into CPU issues with many cameras and am having a hard time stomaching the 15fps limit.

Does it make that much of a difference for Blue Iris?

I have a dedicated monitor in my office where i watch the Geovision camera VMS system so i am used to seeing it in a more real time view (25-30fps).

Is it that important?

Thanks,
Rich
It makes a huge difference for bi.. the human eye cannot distinguish between 15 and 25 frames per second...

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you have the storage space to use and CPU to spare then go for it. The only benefit would be if you are trying to review a fast moving recorded event.

I would have to disagree on being able to distinguish between 15 and 25fps. The human eye definitely has the capability of seeing more than 15fps. There are a lot of articles on this subject.

I think a better way of saying is anything LESS than 15fps is definitely noticeable and you can tell the video is choppy. 15fps seems to be the sweet spot in smooth video and lower bitrate. Also anything over 15fps might not be beneficial and a waste of resources.

Just one source:
https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-highest-frame-rate-fps-that-can-be-recognized-by-human-perception-At-what-rate-do-we-essentially-stop-noticing-the-difference

Last edited:

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Dont know about you but I can definitely see the difference between 15 and 30. 25 Isnt that far off

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not arguing the fact that for most people 15fps is more than sufficient. I agree completely with this

However, I still see a difference in your example between 15 and 30. Especially when the car drives down the road... fast moving object.

He even says in the video "..set the fps to match the scene you are trying to capture. Does the scene have fast moving objects or are you trying to capture slight of hand (higher fps). Or just normal people at normal speeds (lower fps)."

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Blue Iris does not really have a concept of sub streams, and is not designed to take advantage of them. It is a point where BI is lacking compared to some of the competition.

25/30 FPS is visually pleasing, certainly, but 3-7 FPS will get the job done just as well in most situations while requiring a fraction of the resources. 15 FPS is a popular compromise which in my opinion favors smoothness more than it necessarily deserves.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You will see in a lot of large installs, that they appear to be using 1-2 fps on a lot systems.
This can be seen in security footage released to news media.
Hospitals, banks, Walmart, other such places. It gets the job done.