So, with H265 what are the hardware suggestions for a ~1400MP/S setup? (12x8mp)

XOIIO

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all, so I saw the very helpful rundown of what you need to choose for hardware specs based on megapixels per second, however it seems slightly dated, and perhaps a bit overkill based on some systems I've seen mentioned on the odd post, but looking to get some input from you guys for cpu choice.

Ideally, this setup will have 12 8mp dahua cameras running at 4k resolution, 15 frames per second, using h.265, which according to the hikvision storage calculator will need about 100tb for motion detection only storage at medium complexity. (I have a feeling that will be more than needed, but a little extra storage time won't hurt.

Now, this apparently is close to the max of what blue iris can handle, and apparently would require a 10 core processor, however that seems pretty overkill, since I've seen people mention pretty high MP setups that hit well below 50% cpu usage, so I'm guessing that I don't actually need to go with some insane processor. Unfortunately since this is my first crack at a system this large I don't have any hands on idea of how it will actually perform.

I added three similar cameras to my home setup, and had to add a dedicated gpu as the xeon's I have don't support quicksync, but it barely changed my cpu usage at all. (yes, I know xeons aren't great for blue iris and they suck power, but I use my rack mount machines for more than just blue iris)

This system will purely be acting as a blue iris server so high cpu usage isn't really a concern for other applications. I'm also curious if for an h.265 setup intel and quicksync is still the best option, or if a 3rd gen ryzen processor and a gtx 1060 or something like that might be a better option?

Looking forward to hearing your replies and excited to roll out the first system that I've handled with this many cameras.

edit: Oh yes I'll likely be using direct to disk recording and using the cameras in build time and date overlay so that blue iris isn't handling that overlay, and is just doing the motion detection and recording.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

XOIIO

n3wb
Reaction score
Sorry, meant second gen ryze
If you have not purchased your cameras re think the 4K cameras. Buy one camera and test it with motion at night. Look at dahua 5442 cameras with a 1/1.8 sensor

You can reduce he need for a bigger CPU by using the new substreams feature.

look at PC in the real world as to what they are running.

compare cpus
I'll check that update helper out, shame it doesn't list more details.

Don't have the model number handy but for vandal protection and ease of tweaking during install the varifocal domes are what I have planned so that I can punch the image in a bit to get the right field of view in some areas. I figured worst case I can drop them down to 6mp resolution to save on resources a bit. The starvis sensor should also be pretty nice, though I don't have hands on with those yet.

saltwater

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have just started on my Blue Iris journey and learning heaps from this site. I wouldn't go chasing megapixels, if you want decent night vision the 8mp or 4K cameras are not your friend, you will be disappointed. I have one, and yes, the daytime vision is excellent but so are my 4mp cameras (Dahua 5442's.). The night vision from my 4mp cameras noticeably out-perform my 8mp camera.

You mentioned maybe winding back the resolution of the 4K cameras, there was a thread on here recently where I read that will not help one iota regarding night vision quality.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all, so I saw the very helpful rundown of what you need to choose for hardware specs based on megapixels per second, however it seems slightly dated, and perhaps a bit overkill based on some systems I've seen mentioned on the odd post, but looking to get some input from you guys for cpu choice.

Ideally, this setup will have 12 8mp dahua cameras running at 4k resolution, 15 frames per second, using h.265, which according to the hikvision storage calculator will need about 100tb for motion detection only storage at medium complexity. (I have a feeling that will be more than needed, but a little extra storage time won't hurt.

Now, this apparently is close to the max of what blue iris can handle, and apparently would require a 10 core processor, however that seems pretty overkill, since I've seen people mention pretty high MP setups that hit well below 50% cpu usage, so I'm guessing that I don't actually need to go with some insane processor. Unfortunately since this is my first crack at a system this large I don't have any hands on idea of how it will actually perform.

I added three similar cameras to my home setup, and had to add a dedicated gpu as the xeon's I have don't support quicksync, but it barely changed my cpu usage at all. (yes, I know xeons aren't great for blue iris and they suck power, but I use my rack mount machines for more than just blue iris)

This system will purely be acting as a blue iris server so high cpu usage isn't really a concern for other applications. I'm also curious if for an h.265 setup intel and quicksync is still the best option, or if a 3rd gen ryzen processor and a gtx 1060 or something like that might be a better option?

Looking forward to hearing your replies and excited to roll out the first system that I've handled with this many cameras.

edit: Oh yes I'll likely be using direct to disk recording and using the cameras in build time and date overlay so that blue iris isn't handling that overlay, and is just doing the motion detection and recording.
It's not dated, it's still very relevant. Don't chase megapixels.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Don't have the model number handy but for vandal protection and ease of tweaking during install the varifocal domes are what I have planned so that I can punch the image in a bit to get the right field of view in some areas. I figured worst case I can drop them down to 6mp resolution to save on resources a bit. The starvis sensor should also be pretty nice, though I don't have hands on with those yet.
Click on any line in the helper to get more details.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
12x 4K cameras at 15 FPS comes out to 1493 MP/s (12 * (3840*2160) * 15 = 1,492,992,000). If you follow all the advice in this wiki page, particularly if you use the sub streams on all the cameras, then you could reduce the constant load to about 61 MP/s, making it run pretty well on just about anything. You still do want a reasonable amount of CPU power so it doesn't chug when you maximize a camera or two or when you re-encode video during an export or whatever. So I'd say go with an i7-6700K or better.

A Ryzen CPU would do alright too if you already have it. But I wouldn't recommend buying an AMD processor for Blue Iris. An Intel CPU with integrated graphics saves you from having to buy a GPU, and they have Quick Sync which is efficient hardware acceleration. Nvidia's hardware acceleration is not efficient and will raise your system's power consumption substantially. AMD doesn't have any compatible hardware acceleration, and only their low-end processors have integrated graphics.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

You didn't specifically ask this, but dropping a camera down in resolution doesn't make it a camera at that less resolution - you will still need the same light as would be needed for 8MP as the "pixel" count on the sensor doesn't change by just down resolution, so you might as well buy the camera at the lower resolution to begin with and be able to get by with less light.

Seriously though, do not chase 8K - save you money. You will be disappointed with those at night.

XOIIO

n3wb
Reaction score
Dropping the camera resolution would basically just be to save on resources if needed. I currently have three 8MP 4k cameras and I'm very happy with them at night in a fairly dark back alley. The exterior of the building is going to have lighting on from lot lights, so there will still be a good amount of light during the night which means that the limits of higher res sensors at night won't be as much of a concern.

I don't currently have a spare ryzen cpu kicking around, so intel it is. Surprisingly older gen processors really haven't dropped much in price, I guess that's just due to the marginal improvement gen to gen on intel's side. I could look into second hand, but I also need enough sata ports, and stability could be a concern so price wise I guess the 9900k especially on sale just makes the most sense still, especially since during the day 8 of these cameras will be triggered pretty heavily.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Don't buy older Intel CPUs at full retail. Get them as part of a refurbished system.

The 100 TB recommendation for motion recording only is insane. That would be enough to store over 3 months of video recording continuously from 12x 4K cameras (assuming 8 Mbps bit rate average for each of them). Many years recording on motion only before you had to overwrite anything. Most people get by with just one hard drive with less than 10 TB capacity, and you can easily get refurbished workstation machines with room for two 3.5" drives plus an SSD for the boot drive.

XOIIO

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah, it did seem oddly high to me, that's at 4096kbps bitrate and medium motion scene complexity, it was set to h.265, supposedly the hikvision tool is pretty accurate, so I figured I'd trust it at least as a high window. Maybe it's got some sort of issue.

They want six months storage, but originally had wanted a full year, I did suggest that we only get a couple drives to start out and see what it actually ends up using real life, and expand as needed since that's easy and avoids overspending.

As mentioned the 8 or so main cameras will probably be continuous effectively for the full business day, then whatever happens at night, so not sure, this is one of those things that you just have to try it out and see.

figured I'd include a screenshot, don't think there's anything usual though.

Attachments

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If you have someone willing to pay for all of that storage, it is their money I guess. But remember as the number of hard drives goes up, so does the chance of one of them failing. A RAID array gets a lot slower when rebuilding onto a replacement hard drive, and can take even multiple days to finish the rebuild in such a case, depending on disk size, speed, and other things. Things get tough.

XOIIO

n3wb
Reaction score
Seagate shows 78TB for high quality
If you have someone willing to pay for all of that storage, it is their money I guess. But remember as the number of hard drives goes up, so does the chance of one of them failing. A RAID array gets a lot slower when rebuilding onto a replacement hard drive, and can take even multiple days to finish the rebuild in such a case, depending on disk size, speed, and other things. Things get tough.
Yeah, the plan had been to use stablebit drivepool and scanner so that if smart warnings got flagged it would move the data, and also because having a bunch of aux drives in blue iris would be messy, but since it seems I only need one or two, I wouldn't need to bother with that either, and could probably find a cheaper board too.