[SOFTWARE] Dahua WEB Translation to English (with no firmware modification)

I will use it instead of flashing mod. firmware.

• Total voters

MK-IPC

n3wb
Reaction score
Introduction:

I bought DH-IPC-HDBW4631R-ZS at TaoBao (in China). I thought that its a good idea. I expected that it can easily be switched to English but... I was disappointed... I can't.

I've read some topics about firmware modifications and it's restrictions: Dahua Firmware Mod Kit + Modded Dahua Firmware
I do not found complete compiled binary to flash (Rhea FW).

I think: I can mod it by yourself using published toolkit: BotoX/Dahua-Firmware-Mod-Kit!
But...
I can easily brick my IPC and I need to solder Serial Port to unbrick it. I'm too lazy to solder.
I can not upgrade my IPC to the latest firmware to patch newest vulnerabilities.

Not good! So I've made a simple Chromium (Chrome) browser extension. It will translate almost all words. You will be able to setup you camera with no any restrictions. Furthermore in this case YOU CAN UPGRADE YOUR FIRMWARE.

How to use:

1. Go to GitHub and clone repo: mk-ipc/dahua-web-translator.
2. Check it by your antivirus :lmao:
3. Go to the extensions page of your Chromuim (Chrome) browser: chrome://extensions/
4. In the top right corner enable checkbox Developer Mode.
5. Find and press "Load Unpacked" button and select directory with cloned repo.
6. Go to you IPC web interface. Magic!

How to use own dictionaries:
My extension was built for firmware V2.622. If you have different firmware version you can use your own dictionary.

1. Download official English firmware at the Dahua website.
2. Extract it by using Dahua Fimware Mod Kit by cor35vet. For example (your will be different) my command was:
Code:
sudo python3 extract.py ./fw2.622.bin -c HX5X3X-Rhea
Then unpack custom-x.squashfs.img and find English.txt. It will probably be by path:
Code:
custom-x.squashfs.img/css/English.txt
4. Open English.txt and open dict.js from the extension source code directory (unpacked extension).
5. Manually copy the content from English.txt to the dict.js right after the code:
Code:
var __englishWords =
6. Load unpacked extension following the manual above.

No license. Free. Use it at your own risk!

/upd
You can translate the interface to any language not English only. You just need to find correct dictionaries.

Last edited:

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Using javascript to change the language has been documented here before. I think some of the other methods were even simpler.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Every Russian a hacker, drink vodka and playing balalaika. :facepalm: Don't be a victim of CNN propaganda.
________

I have uploaded it to Github with no compression: mk-ipc/dahua-web-translator.
Don't fall for the RT propaganda either.

Thanks for sharing your solution for changing languages. Similar browser-side methods have been documented here before though a bit less refined.

MK-IPC

n3wb
Reaction score
Don't fall for the RT propaganda either.
They both are a*******.

Thanks for sharing your solution for changing languages. Similar browser-side methods have been documented here before though a bit less refined.
Could you please give the links? There are not much English info about Dahua cameras. Better to make it crosslinked for fast searching process.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Every Russian a hacker, drink vodka and playing balalaika. :facepalm: Don't be a victim of CNN propaganda.
You can bet your last ruble that I am anything but a victim, a follower, or a sheeple. I don't I watch CNN, I don't Fox News, nor do I watch Russia Today. Are you able to comprehend that it might be inappropriate for a stranger to post an archive to a forum? Or are you devoid of common sense? smiley22.gif

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
They both are a*******.
Could you please give the links? There are not much English info about Dahua cameras. Better to make it crosslinked for fast searching process.
I think it's buried in a large thread, I'll see if I can find it. It was basically the same technique of using javascript to swap languages it's pretty simple stuff.

MK-IPC

n3wb
Reaction score
Are you able to comprehend that it might be inappropriate for a stranger to post an archive to a forum? Or are you devoid of common sense? View attachment 37873
I agree with that. Therefore I have uploaded it to GitHub in the post you're quoted.

You can bet your last ruble that I am anything but a victim, a follower, or a sheeple. I don't I watch CNN, I don't Fox News, nor do I watch Russia Today.
My claims were to you because you focused on my nationality. Let's talk about cameras and solve the common problems.

Jude201186

n3wb
Reaction score
Introduction:

I bought DH-IPC-HDBW4631R-ZS at TaoBao (in China). I thought that its a good idea. I expected that it can easily be switched to English but... I was disappointed... I can't.

I've read some topics about firmware modifications and it's restrictions: Dahua Firmware Mod Kit + Modded Dahua Firmware

I think: I can mod it by yourself using published toolkit: BotoX/Dahua-Firmware-Mod-Kit!
But...
I can easily brick my IPC and I need to solder Serial Port to unbrick it. I'm too lazy to solder.
I can not upgrade my IPC to the latest firmware to patch newest vulnerabilities.

Not good! So I've made a simple Chromium (Chrome) browser extension. It will translate almost all words. You will be able to setup you camera with no any restrictions. Furthermore in this case YOU CAN UPGRADE YOUR FIRMWARE.

How to use:

3. Go to the extensions page of your Chromuim (Chrome) browser: chrome://extensions/

My extension was built for firmware V2.622. If you have different firmware version you can use your own dictionary.

2. Extract it by using Dahua Fimware Mod Kit by cor35vet. For example (your will be different) my command was:
Code:
Then unpack custom-x.squashfs.img and find English.txt. It will probably be by path:
Code:
4. Open English.txt and open dict.js from the extension source code directory (unpacked extension).
5. Manually copy the content from English.txt to the dict.js right after the code:
Code:
var __englishWords =

/upd
You can translate the interface to any language not English only. You just need to find correct dictionaries.
Dear sir May i have your email I need to ask your come problem ?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Why not submit it to the Chrome app store?
Think that through. There's a reason dahua doesn't let you switch these china region cams to english in the web interface. If this approach becomes more widespread they'll likely do something to prevent it.

wrybread

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
My thinking would be that even if they have some diabolical reason for keeping China region cameras out of English speaking regions, I can't think of a way they could possibly prevent a plugin from translating a webpage. Google Translate probably does it automatically already.

Remember that they also have a policy of not selling to end users, but that's been easily circumvented for quite a long time now, hence this forum.

As long as it doesn't impact their core market, which is enterprises (and I don't think enterprises would use this kind of a kludge), I don't think they'd notice this or care if they did.

Last edited:

Jude201186

n3wb
Reaction score
Introduction:

But...

How to use:

Code:
Code:
Code:
var __englishWords =

/upd
can you tell me your email ?

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Think that through. There's a reason dahua doesn't let you switch these china region cams to english in the web interface. If this approach becomes more widespread they'll likely do something to prevent it.
I believe their have been reports here and around that the Chinese region cams will not work with USA region NVR's .