Software suggestions based on Server build

meathead77

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello guys/girls hope some of you can help, need a good recommendation based on my server build for software. I was thinking blue Iris, but also heard that was a Cpu hog. My home server is not that powerful (IMO) because I built it to run my media library , file storage and home security....so it was built with Power consumption in mind

here is my server build:

cpu: Intel 4160 3.6ghz 2 core, 4 thread.
HDD (3 TB dedicated cameras, 9 TB total but 6 TB dedicated to media and files): 3TB Nas drive
SDD (dedicated to OS and programs) : 60gb
RAM: 8gb 1600mhz
OS: windows 10 (I know Linux is better, so don't tell me, but wife works at Microsoft)

Cameras: (5) Hikivision 3mp cameras

Thank you for any help ahead of time!!
-Pete

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
1) linux is not better.
2) 5 3mp hiks might be a bit of a stretch of you are using the pc for other purposes (not recommended). But if you run them at 1080p you should be fine. If you have not purchased the cams, but the 1080p version, it will perform better in low light.
3) you can try using ivms4200, but blue iris is much more customizable.
4) other software packages can run on low power pc's like exacq, but you will pay 50 dollars PER camera in licensing.
Hardware acceleration is being added to blue iris, it should be released soon, and will improve cpu performance.

meathead77

n3wb
Reaction score
1) linux is not better.
2) 5 3mp hiks might be a bit of a stretch of you are using the pc for other purposes (not recommended). But if you run them at 1080p you should be fine. If you have not purchased the cams, but the 1080p version, it will perform better in low light.
3) you can try using ivms4200, but blue iris is much more customizable.
4) other software packages can run on low power pc's like exacq, but you will pay 50 dollars PER camera in licensing.
Hardware acceleration is being added to blue iris, it should be released soon, and will improve cpu performance.
Thanks for your reply Fenderman.... LOL, I do like windows but my buddy who is in defense contracting for IT always yells at me for not using Linux...so of course any recommendation he had for me was Linux based.

I planed on running the cameras at 1080p maybe 12 frames per second..

other question since you seem to be familiar with blue iris..
1) when my Cam drive is full, will it automatically write over, or do I need to delete manually? Server is only being used for file storage...my pc is a monster and used for all other daily stuff. Server is also used for streaming media, but Raspberry Pi's (mini computer) at each tv handle all media decoding, etc...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@meathead77 Not only can it overwrite footage but there are a plethora of options of what to do with the footage (send to network storage etc)...Download the demo and play with it.
Make sure to set recording to direct to disk for each cameras, camera properties>record tab>format