Soil solarization landscaping. Clear vs Black plastic. I'm going Clear for this first attempt.

Cooltiger

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
when you use the black plastic for winter... do you see weeds popping up eventually (other than what's blown in)? I thought clear plastic allows the UV rays to irradiate the top soil, killing the weed seeds laying 0-4" deep where as the black plastic just removes sunlight from existing weeds (killing them) but not doing anything for the seeds in the soil.
Holbs
I don't know about irradiation with clear plastic on soil, I have not seen clear plastic used on soil. Only black or white. Summer weeds and winter weeds have defensive mechanisms to stop them germinating at the wrong time of the year. Summer weeds won't germinate till soil warms to a certain temp and conversely winter weeds won't germinate till soil cools to a temp. Germination - Wikipedia
You will always get blown in weeds as nature tries to fill bare areas. The best defence is healthy lawn or well maintained hard area ie thick stone or gravel.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
My yard burnt up in the heat. Watering ban from 9 am to 6 pm. managed to get a stump chopped down along the driveway enough lay top soil bags and seed. came up after five days. its the only area im watering beside the Day Lilies in the back.

Attachments

Reaction score
Holbs
I don't know about irradiation with clear plastic on soil, I have not seen clear plastic used on soil. Only black or white. Summer weeds and winter weeds have defensive mechanisms to stop them germinating at the wrong time of the year. Summer weeds won't germinate till soil warms to a certain temp and conversely winter weeds won't germinate till soil cools to a temp. Germination - Wikipedia
You will always get blown in weeds as nature tries to fill bare areas. The best defence is healthy lawn or well maintained hard area ie thick stone or gravel.
It's odd and a little funny. Science says to use clear plastic to germinate weed seedlings and then die off with the use of the UV/water/steam. Everyone who has used black plastic says it has always worked. I am looking at craigslist now for black 6mil landscaping plastic. I figure, if using black plastic doesn't pan out, I can always try clear plastic afterwards or next year.

juliand

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I do not see why you have to dig a trench around the edge. I would just lay the plastic and throw some dirt/rocks around the edge. I agree with you on not using Glyphosate (weed killer). I used it many years in my garden, but quit using it about 3 years ago. That is bad for your health, not to mention the environment. I now use a roofing torch with a 20# LP tank strapped to a 2 wheel hand truck, you can buy at harbor freight and burn anything I don't want growing. Instant gratification. As far as Sod, I thought the West was in a deep drought and getting worse. I use to live in Tucson and most people used rock/pebble yards.

LOL>>> roofing torch - much better than a quick spray of roundup... OK. can't stop laughing now...