Solar powered 2 camera system via WAP?

Jaybo

n3wb
Reaction score
I've been tasked with getting together some ideas for a pair of cameras to monitor tipping areas at a landfill. Cameras would be mounted opposite of each other at the same location to view in each direction. Distance is about 535' with direct LoS.

The location would be in a very weather exposed, dusty area. Mounting the setup to a portable pole attached most likely to a concrete block. We only need the cameras to be running about 11 hours/day 5 or 6 days a week during mostly daylight hours. Recording is probably not as important being able to monitor in real time. so a long storage time is not that important. Area for each camera to cover is about 100'x50'

Would like some decent quality cameras, but trying to get this done for less cost than more. I would guess IP67 would be best.

Questions:

1. How do I calculate solar needs for the cameras and access point? (we would rather have them on all
the time than motion triggered) It looks like cameras and PoE switch use around 7W each and WAP around 15W?

2. 4K vs 1080P - Fine details are not critical but I'm sure there are noticeable differences. Thoughts?

3. Equipment: WAP x2, PoE switch, 2 Cameras, Solar panel and battery system. Am I missing anything?

4. We could use an existing PC, but also considered a smart TV since it would have a larger screen size, Are there apps for that?

5. Suggestions on equipment! Any suggestions on what would work would be great. I have seen all kinds
of bundled systems but at pretty high price points. Closer to $1000 would be the best.

Any other thoughts or places I could search for more information would be most helpful!

Last edited: