Solar powered remote ipcamera

TuckNTruck

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No, I'm not looking for a cheap solar powered camera like you find at harbor freight. I want to do a custom build, and thought y'all may have some experience.

I have about 3 acres between me and my mailbox, and a hill that blocks line of sight. Straight line distance is around 1,200'. I'm already using a couple P2P wireless bridges to extend my network to a workshop on the other end of the property so I'm familiar with that side of things. There's no electricity between my house and the road where I want the cameras, so the solar/battery stuff is new to me.

I think I need a solar panel, battery, whatever accessories are needed for the panel to charge the battery, a box to store everything in, and a wireless bridge (no I'm not going to run fiber and electricity). I'd really like 4 or 5 cameras, so I guess I also need a switch which also means a power inverter. As far as cameras go, probably two or three 5442s for general overview. There's nothing out here that needs to be protected, so this is just to keep an eye on wildlife and the occasional trespasser. Then a camera to focus on the mailbox. And finally a camera for LPR (5241?). I'd be capturing plates from 75-100' away almost perfectly aligned with direction the car is traveling - no big angles.

Basically I plan to install a pole on top of the hill between my house and the road. It will be about 1,000' from the house and 200' from the road/mailbox. Is there a way to power everything without a switch/inverter, just running the cameras directly off the battery? If so, do I need to be looking at 24V batteries or 12v?

Just in the planning stages, so any suggestions would be appreciated. The overview cameras would be mounted on the pole with everything else, the mailbox camera would be closer to the mailbox, and the LPR would be 200' from the pole where everything is mounted. Obviously I'll be running ethernet underground to these cameras, but from what I understand, the 200' run should be no problem.

fergenheimer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I am working on a similar project based on @TRLcam posts above. I am going with a 24 vdc solar panel and batteries. Solar from Amazon and batteries from battery hookup. They have the K2B24V10EB 9.6 ah for $49. I am getting <8 ah from them so will be using two. I went with a Centopto din rail POE switch from Amazon. One of the reasons for the 24 vdc is that that switch will take 12 vdc input but the switch output power will be less. It is rated at 30 watt per channel. I have some left over Ubiquiti nanostations from another project. I hope that with the radio and POE camera, I can get by with a 30 watt solar panel. I might have to go with a 60 watt.

This is a work in progress so I have not purchased the solar panel and just have a pile of parts in the garage.