Solutions to Mount PoE Cam to 1 Gang Box

lorenzoe

n3wb
Reaction score
How do you plan to power the wifi cams? It needs power anyway, so it needs a cord.

You do not want battery operated either. They do not stream 24/7 to a VMS like an NVR or BI and only work on motion and we have lots of posts here where people missed motion completely because of this.
I was going to use battery powered with solar panel for charging.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Unless they are not mission critical cams, like you are using them for critter cams, a battery powered with solar will not stream all night to a VM system and even if it did, the quality is usually poor to allow it to be able to be solar. Unless you put a car battery up there LOL.

You are building a new house, so take the time before it is finished to have some additional runs in the attic to the soffit so you don't cheapen the place up with tacky cams and solar panels LOL.

I tried that once too and after about 9 months went thru the effort to wire it and then wasted money on the crap solar camera I replaced within 9 months. Someone here says buy once, cry once.

My neighbors with solar wifi cams have yet to provide anything of any value when perps have come by.

Or what happens when something happens is they find out the batteries were dead.

Best case is they can tell the police what time their car was rummaged thru. Worse case is the camera missed the entire event.

Case in point my neighbor had solar wifi cams on his garage. His car is parked literally inches from the garage door, so the drivers side door is within 6-8 feet of the camera.

His car was rummaged thru and his camera COMPLETELY MISSED the entire event. Didn't even trigger for motion.

Meanwhile, although his car is 3 houses up from mine, my wide angle cams recording 24/7 captured the event. Now granted at that distance it was not IDENTIFY, but when the person then walked past my house, even though they didn't check my cars, my cams then did get the IDENTIFY. If it were not for my cams, he wouldn't have got all his stuff back.

Here is a thread full of the quality that comes from cameras that are mostly wifi and in many cases solar or battery operated cams. You will see it is not very useful, if it even caught anything.

lorenzoe

n3wb
Reaction score
Unless they are not mission critical cams, like you are using them for critter cams, a battery powered with solar will not stream all night to a VM system and even if it did, the quality is usually poor to allow it to be able to be solar. Unless you put a car battery up there LOL.

You are building a new house, so take the time before it is finished to have some additional runs in the attic to the soffit so you don't cheapen the place up with tacky cams and solar panels LOL.

I tried that once too and after about 9 months went thru the effort to wire it and then wasted money on the crap solar camera I replaced within 9 months. Someone here says buy once, cry once.

My neighbors with solar wifi cams have yet to provide anything of any value when perps have come by.

Or what happens when something happens is they find out the batteries were dead.

Best case is they can tell the police what time their car was rummaged thru. Worse case is the camera missed the entire event.

Case in point my neighbor had solar wifi cams on his garage. His car is parked literally inches from the garage door, so the drivers side door is within 6-8 feet of the camera.

His car was rummaged thru and his camera COMPLETELY MISSED the entire event. Didn't even trigger for motion.

Meanwhile, although his car is 3 houses up from mine, my wide angle cams recording 24/7 captured the event. Now granted at that distance it was not IDENTIFY, but when the person then walked past my house, even though they didn't check my cars, my cams then did get the IDENTIFY. If it were not for my cams, he wouldn't have got all his stuff back.

Here is a thread full of the quality that comes from cameras that are mostly wifi and in many cases solar or battery operated cams. You will see it is not very useful, if it even caught anything.

Ok, I'm convinced now lol. I was able to get in touch with the sales rep of the company that ran the cat6 during the build process and was told they can run the wire after closing. Unfortunately, they pitch it as a bundle only(wires, cables, 1 camera) for each spot, at a cost of $420 + tax. We'll probably end going that route.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Can you specify the camera? I am sure they aren't putting up a quality cam.

Or find another company?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, I'm convinced now lol. I was able to get in touch with the sales rep of the company that ran the cat6 during the build process and was told they can run the wire after closing. Unfortunately, they pitch it as a bundle only(wires, cables, 1 camera) for each spot, at a cost of $420 + tax. We'll probably end going that route.
They are providing a camera also ??

I'd look for other quotes also ..

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Or be prepared to put those cams to a noncritical use