[SOLVED] New BI Install, Fails to Run First

joltman

n3wb
Reaction score
I purchased BI back in January 2019. Yesterday (2019-03-02) I finished building my BI server, installed Win 10 Pro x64 and finally downloaded the BI installer from the email that IPCamTalk sent me in January. I installed the program, but when I run it for the first time, I get:

"The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b)."

This is a fresh install, fresh Windows build. I haven't added the Windows 10 key yet, as I wanted to be sure the application runs first. I did this just in case I have to install the 32bit version of Windows (I don't see why I would since BI has a 64 bit version that I installed). The properties for the BI

When I attempt to run an UPDATE64.exe, an error pops up saying:

"Application path not found -- please run the software before attempting to update it."

So I'm at a loss of what to do.

SOLVED:

I read the README!!! It mentioned that if there's a "problem with system configuration" to please install Visual Studio 2013. I installed that and the program worked. However, I'm a little concerned that the installer didn't tell me it needed to install VS2013. It should have done that on it's own. However, I've got the program installed now.

GrahamH

n3wb
Reaction score
There seems to be quite a few versions of VS2013 some of which require keys and all of which require registration to download. Could you please tell me which version you installed and where did you get it from?

SOLVED:

It always seems to be the way that as soon as you post a problem so you find the solution!
Anyway, it looks like the VS2013 Redistributable that is needed is this one:

Download Visual C++ Redistributable Packages for Visual Studio 2013 from Official Microsoft Download Center

Pick 32-bit or 64-bit versions as required.

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
@GrahamH correct - it is just the Visual C++ 2013 redistributable package you need. Startup Error 0xc000007b | IP Cam Talk

It is absolutely overkill to install the entire Visual Studio 2013 development environment just to run Blue Iris. Blue Iris actually includes most of the Visual C++ 2013 DLL files in its own installer, but I guess it is missing one. It is actually hard to believe that the Blue Iris developer did not resolve this issue a long time ago, as it has been affecting tons of people for months and I know a lot of folks including myself have emailed about it.

GrahamH

n3wb
Reaction score
@bp2008 yes it does seem a bit of an oversight not to include everything needed and certainly didn't used to cause issues. I'm guessing MS removed something from Windows at the last big catastrophic update they did!

I'm running in to a new problem now having installed the above redistributable in to a fresh and updated build of Win10Pro (no BI yet) and that is that it takes around 15 minutes to boot windows before cpu settles down from 60-100% to the more usual 0.1%. I know it's a bit off-topic, but is this something you've come across before and can offer some pointers on? I really wish we could get BI for Linux, stability would be so much better. I might even try running it under WINE!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@bp2008 yes it does seem a bit of an oversight not to include everything needed and certainly didn't used to cause issues. I'm guessing MS removed something from Windows at the last big catastrophic update they did!

I'm running in to a new problem now having installed the above redistributable in to a fresh and updated build of Win10Pro (no BI yet) and that is that it takes around 15 minutes to boot windows before cpu settles down from 60-100% to the more usual 0.1%. I know it's a bit off-topic, but is this something you've come across before and can offer some pointers on? I really wish we could get BI for Linux, stability would be so much better. I might even try running it under WINE!
Your issue is not windows. Blue Iris runs great on Windows.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
VC++ was never part of a standard Windows install as far as I know so MS haven’t broken anything with any recent updates.

If it’s a new install then you can try turning of the indexing and searching service, that takes up a fair chunk of processing power in new installs.

GrahamH

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you both for your responses they are appreciated.

@bp2008 Task Manager was my first port of call but CPU usage was so high that logging in and running Task Manager wasn't possible until CPU utilisation dropped to normal levels, so I am at a bit of a loss at the moment.

@IAmATeaf I will try turning off Indexing, but the machine is fine until I install C++ Redist and it's an i7-8700 running at 3.20Ghz so there's not much that a base OS should be able to throw at it to cause it any problems.

I'll keep digging!

GrahamH

n3wb
Reaction score
Just to bring some closure to the issues I experienced, this turned out to be some sort of memory issue and BI 64bit is now up and running having installed the C++ 2013 redistributable. Thanks all for your help and feedback.

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
According to Ken's reply he states:

The installer installs the VC runtime at the end don't cancel that.

It's also installed into the blue Iris folder you can run it manually. VCREDIST_x64.exe

but when I ran the installer it never did run the VC at the end....so I ran it manually from BI folder.