[Solved] Swann NVR-8580/NHD-885MSB Information Request

r1142

n3wb
Reaction score
Does anyone have any info on the Swann NVR8580 or the NHD-885MSB?

I have a Swann NVR-7095(Hikvision rebrand) that has bit the dust under warranty. I contacted Swann for RMA and they are wanting to replace my setup with the models listed above as they no longer carry my model. I found a couple of other threads on here regarding the 885MSB where it made mention that it looks like there are not Hikvision, but never figured out if they are some other rebrand or a custom product. My main concern is with the NVR. On my 7095, I was able to flash the hikvision firmware which allowed me to use my other non-swann cameras with the unit. I'm concerned I won't have such luck with the NVR-8580.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Does anyone have any info on the Swann NVR8580 or the NHD-885MSB?

I have a Swann NVR-7095(Hikvision rebrand) that has bit the dust under warranty. I contacted Swann for RMA and they are wanting to replace my setup with the models listed above as they no longer carry my model. I found a couple of other threads on here regarding the 885MSB where it made mention that it looks like there are not Hikvision, but never figured out if they are some other rebrand or a custom product. My main concern is with the NVR. On my 7095, I was able to flash the hikvision firmware which allowed me to use my other non-swann cameras with the unit. I'm concerned I won't have such luck with the NVR-8580.
HI @r1142

Indeed those other threads on the newer Swann kits / NVRs / Cameras are from another OEM other than Hikvision.

r1142

n3wb
Reaction score
HI @r1142

Indeed those other threads on the newer Swann kits / NVRs / Cameras are from another OEM other than Hikvision.
Hi @mat200,
thanks for the confirmation. Does anyone happen to know who may be the manufacturer of the NVR?

I tried doing some digging, but I am afraid I did not come up with a hole lot. I did a little digging on the software provided by Swann, HomeSafe View, to interface with the cameras. Several of the dependencies are created by Hisilicon (Huawei), which appears to be a manufacturer of IP camera SoCs. I also found that the software uses the Hikvision SDK. The UI on the NVR does not appear to be similar to the Hikvision, so I am speculating the Hikvision SDK may be included to work with swann branded hikvision cameras that are compatible with this nvr.

EDIT: As I was poking around more, I came across a string that stated "Night Owl Surveillance Client". Searching for this on google pulled up Night Owl Camera systems. I compared the swann NVR visually to the Night Owl NVR and they are extremely similar. I would be 99% sure this is a rebranded Night Owl system. I also found pictures of cameras scattered about their site that match the 885 visually.

Does anyone have any experience with Night Owl security products?

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi @mat200,
thanks for the confirmation. Does anyone happen to know who may be the manufacturer of the NVR?

I tried doing some digging, but I am afraid I did not come up with a hole lot. I did a little digging on the software provided by Swann, HomeSafe View, to interface with the cameras. Several of the dependencies are created by Hisilicon (Huawei), which appears to be a manufacturer of IP camera SoCs. I also found that the software uses the Hikvision SDK. The UI on the NVR does not appear to be similar to the Hikvision, so I am speculating the Hikvision SDK may be included to work with swann branded hikvision cameras that are compatible with this nvr.

EDIT: As I was poking around more, I came across a string that stated "Night Owl Surveillance Client". Searching for this on google pulled up Night Owl Camera systems. I compared the swann NVR visually to the Night Owl NVR and they are extremely similar. I would be 99% sure this is a rebranded Night Owl system. I also found pictures of cameras scattered about their site that match the 885 visually.

Does anyone have any experience with Night Owl security products?
Hi @r1142

I recall someone mentioning the OEM on another forum, though I do not recall which OEM it was.

I don't think Night Owl is their own OEM...

r1142

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi @r1142

I recall someone mentioning the OEM on another forum, though I do not recall which OEM it was.

I don't think Night Owl is their own OEM...
Hi Matt,

Thanks for the additional input. I've done some additional research on the client software and came to the conclusion that it's a pretty generic software used by a dozen or so clients. Best I can find for the actual software name is dvrsoft Surveillance_client.

As for the NVR, I hadn't found much else besides another rebrand called the Cortex Medallion. Swann, Night Owl, and Cortex all have the same specs, very similar(or identical layout), the same nvr interface, and all use the unusal 4 pin 48v external power supply. I couldn't find much additional information on night owl, I suspect that all three companies use the same OEM.

I also tried to do some searching on who the OEM was for the newer swann units, but came up empty handed. If someone reads this and knows, please chime in.

At this point, I'll probably continue on my research and post anything I find notable in this thread.